PDA

View Full Version : Like Christmas in June

FISH4BUGS
06-21-2015, 07:03 PM
It was pouring buckets this rainy Sunday morning - OK....I can't work in the garden, I can't do yard work, I can't go shooting.....what's a poor boy to do? I got it! Clean the barn!
Moving stuff, putting things where they belong, put all the tools away, test the generator, sweep, move more stuff upstairs into the hay loft....and over in the downstairs corner I came across two 5 gallon buckets with snap lids loaded to the top with raw linotype - letters and spacers. I had totally forgotten that I traded smething or the other for it....I don't even remember what or when.....am I getting senile?
But I am happy to have found it. I will need to smelt it into ingots but who cares? It is there if/when I need it.
Not a bad day after all. Had to be almost 200 lbs of raw linotype. That goes with the 4 25 lb pigs of lino under the bench. I think I am all set for quite a while.

Ithaca Gunner
06-21-2015, 07:10 PM
That's the way it happens sometime, "where did this come from? I don't remember where, or when I got it..." You are not alone.

RayinNH
06-21-2015, 07:26 PM
Donald just leave it in letter form. It will be easier to weigh out for alloying.

lightman
06-21-2015, 07:48 PM
I'll 2nd leaving it in original form. I did about the same thing awhile back, except it was not as much. I don't remember smelting the stuff or putting it where it was.

MaryB
06-21-2015, 11:12 PM
Most lino I have used gives off a lot of dirt and crud... I prefer to smelt it so it doesn't plug my bottom pour pot.

TXGunNut
06-21-2015, 11:52 PM
I wonder if memory loss is an occupational hazard when melting and smelting lead. May also be due to our advancing age but I'll be the last to admit....what were we talking about?

FISH4BUGS
06-23-2015, 08:16 PM
I wonder if memory loss is an occupational hazard when melting and smelting lead. May also be due to our advancing age but I'll be the last to admit....what were we talking about?
Since the statute of limitations has long run out, I can admit to past activities. I think I know what my memory loss came from - college in the late 60's.....with all that it entailed.....as it did with many my age.