PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x54r Lee dies

emptyhead
03-23-2008, 11:34 AM
I just picked up a set of lee 7.62x54r dies. I ran some brass cases through them and all of the cases have a ridge of shaved brass at the base where the die stops. I've never had this happen to any of my brass before both rifle and pistol. The brass is range pickup.Trying to figure if it's the brass or dies

RFWobbly
03-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Some thoughts and suggestions that might apply...

• On range pickup brass (especially outdoor) I've found that it's very important to wash the brass in a detergent before any sizing. A very strong detergent like Dawn dish washing liquid, or Tide laundry, not a soap or a thinner. Those last 2 "clean" but don't remove the dirt.
• You might measure the inside of the die and compare that to the cart dimension in your reloading book. I once received a Lyman 243 die that was not to spec. You'll need an inside mic, not a caliper to get that close.
• Maybe the die simply needs more lead-in ramp (chamfer) into the mouth
• Call Lee and see if you can swap that one die.
• Place an inside mic on the chamber. If you're using a Russian rifle, some dimensions are MUCH looser on Russian guns than those of any other nation. The cartridge will naturally expand to the gun's chamber size, and therefore be oversize after firing.
• If the de-capped brass chambers in your rifle, then maybe you don't need to size it at all? Simply use a collet die to close the mouth of the cartridge case. This will make your brass last much longer.

Or as a last ditch effort, I could give you $10 for the die set. Mind you, this would only be as a service to you, so you could sleep comfortably at night and not run the risk of incurring any cardiac issues over this. :roll: This is not something I could do for just anyone.

1hole
03-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Your range brass is likely too large in the lower body/web area. That would be caused by firing in a loose fitted chamber which would allow the brass to swell beyond normal amounts. IF your chamber is ok, your die should not shave brass after you fire it.

IF it still shaves, get a ball type grinding wheel, cheap one with a 1/4" shank so you can chuck it in your drill, and grind a good bevel at the mouth the die to allow the cases to enter easier. After that, you need to use something like a Dremel tool with a rubber polishing point to smooth the ground part until it's pretty slick. Not hard to do and should make a world of difference to your brass.

RFWobbly
03-23-2008, 07:19 PM
I agree with 1Hole, relieving the entry of the die itself is a great idea. However, if the dies are "carbide", then the chamfer has to be done completely in the die steel, since the carbide ring itself may be too hard to shape at all.

So you might want to plan your die entry mods very thoughtfully.

Buckshot
03-24-2008, 02:12 AM
grind a good bevel at the mouth the die to allow the cases to enter easier. After that, you need to use something like a Dremel tool with a rubber polishing point to smooth the ground part until it's pretty slick. Not hard to do and should make a world of difference to your brass.

............Obviously there is a problem and 1Hole has the fix. The die should have this radius built in from the git-go. It's either not there for some reason or too abrupt.

.............Buckshot

dmftoy1
03-24-2008, 07:26 AM
It's the dies . . .go read the reviews on Midway. I got a set and had to send the dies back to Lee who had it back in my hands in 8 days. (can't complain)

Have a good one,
Dave

fireflyfather
03-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Collet dies for 7.62x54R are a special order item from every manufacturer I've looked at. Expensive.

jlb300
03-25-2008, 08:07 PM
I dont use lee dies but anything I have ever needed repaired or in my case replaced they never asked any question. They just told me to ship it to them and I did and they sent me new. Just about a week is all it took.

nicholst55
03-25-2008, 10:36 PM
A collet die for the .303 British (a standard Lee item) will reportedly size approximately 2/3 of the neck on a 7.62X54R case, which would be about the ideal situation for accuracy. I just boxed up all of my reloading gear - going across the water (again), so I won't be able to try this for myself for some time.

hornetguy
03-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Collet dies would not be a good idea for range brass, as they size only the neck. If the brass WAS fired in a oversized chamber, sizing the neck alone will probably mean the rounds won't chamber in YOUR gun after loading.
You should only use collet dies on brass that has been fired in your chamber, as a general rule.

Rattlesnake Charlie
04-05-2008, 11:34 AM
My Lee 7.62x54r sizing die did the same thing. I cut a slot in the end of a 6 inch piece of dowel (just small enough to enter die), chucked the other end of the dowel in my drill, wrapped a strip of 220 grit sandpaper through slot and around dowel, and then proceeded to hone the entrance of the sizing die. Finish up with like 480 wet/dry sandpaper for a real smooth finish, probably better than original. Works fine.

Ricochet
04-05-2008, 11:45 AM
• Place an inside mic on the chamber. If you're using a Russian rifle, some dimensions are MUCH looser on Russian guns than those of any other nation. The cartridge will naturally expand to the gun's chamber size, and therefore be oversize after firing.
Off topic, but British Lee-Enfields have the Russians beat all hollow for loose, enormously sloppy chambers.

Made that way intentionally, I know.

But my Lee full length sizing die doesn't drastically reform my brass fired in my Russian or Westinghouse made Mosins. I did have to get a .303 expander ball to be able to seat .314" boolits without collapsing necks.

I'm sorry I've forgotten again who suggested it on here, but the 7.5x55 Swiss collet die can be used on the 7.62x54R.