PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a S&W 1917

44man
06-21-2015, 07:50 AM
I cleaned one for a neighbor, thing has not been cleaned since his grand father carried it as a cop. I stripped it all the way and did the best I could but that hand was a chore to get back in.
Had to strip the cylinder, it would barely turn.
I got it all together and found the yoke stop and spring on the floor. Pull the cylinder and yoke again!
It had some rust and pitting, got the rust off best I could.
Need to find some moon clips to fit it. I have no ACP rounds so I don't know how they fit.

TXGunNut
06-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Always wanted one of those, possibly one from Colt as well. They used to be pretty inexpensive but it seems those days are gone. Seem to recall seeing half and even full moon clips recently, a few speed-shooters are using them for their revolver games to good effect.

Dan Cash
06-21-2015, 01:18 PM
You can fire .45 ACP ammo in your 1917 without clips as the cases headspace on the case mouth. You will have to pick them out with your fingers or use a pencil to punch them out from the front of the cylinder. Check Brownells or Dillon Precision for clips.

Nueces
06-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Midway carries the Ranch Products two round "1/3 Moon" clips:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/126763/ranch-1-3-moon-clip-45-acp-2-round-blue-package-of-25?cm_vc=ProductFinding

These carry two rounds side by side and they fit into a cartridge box.

44man
06-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Thanks, I will tell him.

Scharfschuetze
06-23-2015, 12:08 PM
The "Full Moon" clips are my favorite for the 1917 revolvers now. They should also be available at Midway or one of the other large mail order houses. There are a few threads on making a tool to remove the spent cases from any of the clips, 2, 3 or 6 here.

I got it all together and found the yoke stop and spring on the floor.

I only detail strip my 1917s once in a while and I always forget that the S&W 1917s have that unique yoke stop and it always surprises me even though I've know about it for quite a while.

Char-Gar
06-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Both the 1917 Smith and Wesson and Colt are fine old sixguns and fun to shoot. They will not please us with high grade target accuracy, but are fine plinkers and still good to save your hide.

bedbugbilly
06-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Char-Gar . . . those are just down right fantastically beautiful revolvers!

Char-Gar
06-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Char-Gar . . . those are just down right fantastically beautiful revolvers!

They still hang out at my house and I still shoot them a time or two each year. I load a cast bullet equivalent of 45 ACP hardball and take what they give me and have fun.

robertbank
06-23-2015, 01:07 PM
To the OP tell your friend to use the same manufactures brass in each moon clip. I shot ESR in IDPA one year and not all 45acp brass is the same. Loading brass of different manufactures can cause damage to the moon clips and the clips are not inexpensive. I am not saying it always will but it can as I found out. Too, brass from autos can have dings on the rims that plays into the problem. I ended up with a box of dedicated brass for my 625. Loved the gun but eventually moved on.

Take Care

Bob

Dale53
06-23-2015, 08:11 PM
44man;
To make things simple for your friend, have him order some RIMZ carbon fiber/polymer full moon clips. They can easily be loaded and unloaded with the fingers. I use them for range use and have shot mine hundreds of times without losing a single clip.

http://www.ezmoonclip.com/

Dale53

44man
06-24-2015, 08:13 AM
Again, thanks fellas.

TXGunNut
06-24-2015, 05:06 PM
Very nice, Char-Gar. Haven't seen a Tyler grip adapter in awhile. No offense but I can't call a 1917 beautiful even though I've always been attracted to them and yours are nicer than most I've seen. The 1917 kinda reminds me of a big-boned girl I used to know, lol. Fit and finish varies but they were wartime production, after all. I read the story awhile back of how S&W and Colt came to both produce the same "model" and it's fun to look at them side by side. Remarkable story of wartime co-operation.

GLL
06-24-2015, 07:51 PM
Charles:

I have always liked the grips on your S&W 1917 !

Jerry

TXGunNut
06-24-2015, 11:51 PM
Charles:

I have always liked the grips on your S&W 1917 !

Jerry

I dunno, Jerry. I really like that Colt. The S&W has evolved over the decades and those grips may very well be ahead of their time. The Colt seems mostly original other than the grip adapters. They complement each other nicely.