PDA

View Full Version : Can't Have Too Many 1873's!

TXGunNut
06-21-2015, 12:10 AM
Went to Cabela's to try to score some 22 WMR for a rifle I haven't had re-barreled yet, best excuse I could come up with. :kidding: Got to talking with an old friend that just happens to work behind the gun counter, while we were catching up I told him about a used Uberti in 45 Colt that had caught my eye on the way by. We were both in for a surprise or two, it was a rather nice 95% Cimarron Uberti and the action had been shown a little TLC. The little dab of rust on the frame came off with CLP and OOOO steel wool. Gun cleaned up nicely, tightened up a few screws and she's ready to go play!
That's the problem with cruising by the orphanage, sometimes one of those little buggars just latches on and won't let go!

GoodOlBoy
06-21-2015, 12:14 AM
now that's purdy!

GoodOlBoy

StrawHat
06-21-2015, 07:10 AM
My favorite barrel length for the 1873.

Kevin

TXGunNut
06-21-2015, 10:25 AM
Thanks, guys. Have to admit I don't have a favorite length but I really like the balance of this new kid.
Had to get into the safe this morning and couldn't resist another photo op, especially since I got the new kid cleaned up a bit:
Little bird's head Uberti got the party started a few years back, soon after I was cruising the used gun counters and found the 4 1/2" Cimarron Uberti. Saw the family resemblance right away, had to bring it home to live with it's little brother. ;-)
Now you know why I had to bring this latest youngster home. Seems only right to get these tres amigos together for a party, IMHO.

Sax.45
06-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Nice, I know how ya feel, got a few of them myself.

TXGunNut
06-21-2015, 04:59 PM
They're like leverguns, they seem to multiply after a point.

Wayne Smith
06-21-2015, 05:12 PM
Humm. Mine are 44-40's, except the mini one that is a 41Colt!

TXGunNut
06-21-2015, 06:37 PM
Humm. Mine are 44-40's, except the mini one that is a 41Colt!

Sounds like a sweet trio, Wayne!
Shooting buddy is into 38-40's and 44-40's, has a sweet 41 Colt as well. I'm a bit jealous of both of you but years ago I chose to focus my big bore revolver efforts on the 45 Colt to minimize my investment in reloading tools, components and now casting equipment. Seems it takes a large investment every time I "discover" a new cartridge, lol. I'd rather buy components and guns but you guys are wearing me down. He prefers the 38-40 but I'm torn between the 38-40 and the 44-40. I'm drawn to the charm of "hyphenated" cartridges in revolvers but my only foray so far is a pair of 32-20's (with a companion 92 rifle).

robertbank
06-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Nice find. Love mine. I need a Patron in 45 Colt with a 4 3/4" barrel one in 357MAG and......

It never ends.

Bob

TXGunNut
06-23-2015, 09:38 PM
That's funny, Bob. There's a hole in any collection if you know where to look, lol. Never seen a Patron outside of a catalog, will keep an eye out for one. Do they live up to the hype?
I was actually looking to see if they still had a 4 5/8 RBH in 357 that I'd spotted on an earlier trip. I have no use for a .357 but I have one just like it in .45 Colt. Glad I spotted the Uberti; forgot all about the .357.

robertbank
06-24-2015, 02:00 AM
That's funny, Bob. There's a hole in any collection if you know where to look, lol. Never seen a Patron outside of a catalog, will keep an eye out for one. Do they live up to the hype?
I was actually looking to see if they still had a 4 5/8 RBH in 357 that I'd spotted on an earlier trip. I have no use for a .357 but I have one just like it in .45 Colt. Glad I spotted the Uberti; forgot all about the .357.

Mine is a 5 1/2" and they are a very nice firearm. The front sight/rear sight are wider and cut wider for easier pick-up and the trigger is super crisp. Fir and finish is well, like all Uberti's, very well done. In the fall one or two usually show up for sale on one of our gun forums. This year I have what passes for a war chest ready. I missed out on a couple last fall that were virtually new. Mine shoots POA and is silly accurate. The bullet always goes where the sights are pointed which sometimes is where I want them to be aiming.:? The SAA's get fed only lead bullets seems a sin to shoot copper wrapped factory.
I often carry my SAA 45Colt in the Bush for four legged protection as back up to my pump shotgun. The SAA is a lot lighter than my Ruger Flattop which nakes it an easier carry. I use the same 8.5 gr Unique load in both revolvers.

Take Care

Bob

Lead Fred
06-24-2015, 03:51 AM
I was looking at this one, but went with a Ruger Vaquero, its cylinder is really strong

TXGunNut
06-24-2015, 04:41 PM
My Colt and replicas are fed only BP and lead. This gun is a fine example of Uberti's fit and finish. I honestly don't know how they can do such a nice job for the price, a step above my 3rd gen Colt at a third of the price. My Ubertis shoot quite well, I prefer the classic one-handed stance because as SAA fans know that's what the grip was designed for.
Bad news is that I cut my right index finger quite badly this morning. I shoot very well with either hand but I don't think gun cleaning will be a good idea for awhile. OTOH I probably have some latex gloves around here, lol.

johnson1942
06-24-2015, 06:44 PM
i have a 71 and 72 open top 38 uberti and love it. if i had enough ammo i could shoot it every day.

Blackwater
06-24-2015, 06:58 PM
The 1873's are just enough lighter, and the wt. distributed just ENOUGH differently, that they'll ALWAYS feel better and quicker in the hands than the Rugers, and that's from a Ruger lover! I've never been able to warm up to the 5.5's, but the 4 3/4" and 7 1/2's really handle like a REAL handgun OUGHT to, IMO. And the Colt grip is, for my hands at least, FAR superior to the more angled and "bloomed" (at the bottom end) grip of the Rugers. The Colts just plain feel "right" in my hands, and I really believe if two men of equal speed met in a fast draw contest, the man with the Colt or clone would win. Just my theory, anyway. They're just "livlier" feeling, and who couldn't appreciate that?

TXGunNut
06-24-2015, 07:21 PM
I like my Rugers too but I don't think of them the same way as a SAA. No idea why, I just don't. My Ruger is a serious backup hunting handgun stoked with equally serious loads. My SAA's are simply tools to stay in touch with the early days of cartridge firearms and shoot loads consistent with their history. I've toyed with the idea of taking a SAA hunting and even thought that little bird's head gun in a cross-draw holster might make a neat road-trip gun. For now they're just eye candy and range fun guns, and they do a fine job of that!
I like the looks and feel of 4 5/8" bbls but have a 5.5 Navy replica 1873 in 32-20 and like the feel of it so I had no problem adding a 5.5" revolver to my little family. Can't recall handling a 7.5 revolver but have no prejudices, seems like the natural next step, lol. Seems I used my last pistol length gun sock, better remember to pick up some new ones, lol.

smokeywolf
06-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Nice find TXGunNut. Although I have not been a fan of replicas, retirement income doesn't support my champagne tastes anymore. I wouldn't mind at all finding a nice well-cared-for Cimarron Model P in 44 WCF.

You've got a mighty nice collection going there. Oh, and I also favor the Artillery Model (5-1/2" barrel).

I may find myself in a lot of trouble when we move somewhere where I can take a short drive and browse through a gun store.

TXGunNut
06-25-2015, 12:00 AM
Thanks, smokeywolf. Quite honestly I consider my 3rd gen Colt a replica as well. As I mentioned before the 44WCF and 38WCF are on my short list; I like the "38" because the cartridge name and history is rather odd. I like the 44 because I like big bores, other than the (somewhat) modern ones.

smokeywolf
06-25-2015, 12:35 AM
I already load 44-40 for a '73 Winchester. Efficiency demands that I have a handgun that shoots the same cartridge.

TXGunNut
06-25-2015, 12:55 AM
I resemble that sentiment, smokeywolf. I once bought a Colt (New Army) revolver in 32-20 when I woke up suddenly at an auction and even during the reloading products drought was able to get dies, cases and a mould from Midway in a single shipment. Gun proved to be worn out so I purchased a vintage 1892 in 32-20 (soon to be re-lined, lol) and a nice Navy revolver in 32-20 as well. Navy revolver has very tight chambers so a NOE mould was required. In for a penny, in for a pound.

TXGunNut
06-29-2015, 02:17 AM
This little Uberti is a shooter! I put up a target at 10 yds and promptly hit the center with my first shot! Shooting partner just looked over and shook his head, lol. I told him I was keeping this one! I was shooting with my "weak" hand and even tho my comp career ended 15 yrs ago I still practice and shoot quite well with my "weak" hand.
Full disclosure: POI was about 1" right and 1/4" high of POA @ 10 yds but with a very light trigger and shooting weak hand I figure it's a wash and will wait for better days to tune it up. Front sight is bent to the left a fair bit so I'm not the first to notice it's proclivities. What bothered me was a persistent FTF after about 20 BP rounds. It had some little safety device under the hammer that I felt was absorbing part of the (marginal) energy of the hammer spring. I de-activated that device and the problem remained. I determined that the gun would only function under ideal conditions with the existing spring set so I'll be shopping for new springs for this and my other Ubertis.
It seems this little revolver has opened my eyes to what an 1873 can be tuned up to be. I'll be ordering springs for all my 1873's and my shooting buddy has agreed to show me how to install them and polish a few other things as well. On top of all that he brought tomatoes from his garden! Wasn't in the mood for much of a lunch but three nice tomatoes with a bit of S&P made an awesome lunch!
I must say, when I go to the range with a buggared-up trigger finger and shoot this well and get to spend time with my shooting buddy I realize how truly blessed I am. On top of all this I got to visit with an 85 yr old trap shooter who was feeling a little low. For you handicap shooters he's a 27 yd shooter and he more than holds his own against shooters half his age. C S rarely misses @ 17, when he's shooting from the 27 it takes a pretty salty shooter to keep up with him.
Yes, ladies and gents, life is good on my little spot on the prairie!

9.3X62AL
06-29-2015, 03:40 AM
"The Orphanage". Like that.

smokeywolf
06-29-2015, 12:14 PM
Nice range report TXGunNut. Looking forward to the next one.

Green Frog
06-29-2015, 06:38 PM
A couple of years ago I stopped by my LGS and was amazed to find a like-new Navy Arms-marked Uberti in 32-20 with 5 1/2" barrel. Surprisingly, the price was well below what they usually charge, and I got it pretty much on a whim. In a chat with Val Forgett he confirmed that ALL of the 32-20s had received an action job with Wolff spring kit before they were sold... that explains the sweet trigger!

In another case of "right place, right time" I was at Taylor's for their open house in May and they had their "Smokewagon DE" guns on sale for about $150 off. I've gotten interested in the fast draw game, so I got the 4 1/2" barreled 45 Colt. I was within .015 seconds of winning one in their fast draw contest, but a guy who had been playing the game for for a while won it and I had to pay for mine.

I've got moulds and Lyman 310 and TruLine Jr dies for both calibers, so I'm pretty much good to go. You're right, you just "can't have too many 1873's!" :guntootsmiley:

Froggie

TXGunNut
06-29-2015, 07:37 PM
I have a Navy Arms 1873 in 32-20 as well, haven't figured out who made it tho. Seems to be very well made, charcoal blue finish is a nice touch as well.

TXGunNut
06-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Did a little research and contemplating and concluded that all my 1873's needed Wolff mainspring and bolt/sear spring upgrades. Compared prices among my three favorite vendors and placed my order. A few hours later I was updating my inventory and discovered my count was a bit off. Not terribly, but significantly for someone with my extensive background in inventory control, lol. I guess it won't hurt to have an extra spring or two in my parts box, lol.

smokeywolf
06-30-2015, 04:03 PM
Always good to have spares. One of the sadder things I can think of is, picking up a cigar box off a shelf and finding that it's empty. Or, if your favorite vendor is worth his salt, he'll take back the extra spring sets for a minimal restocking charge.

John Allen
06-30-2015, 05:04 PM
I really like the 1873's I have an original and just have not been able to decide on what I want for playing.

TXGunNut
06-30-2015, 09:42 PM
I keep extra mould handles and gun socks around and they don't last more than a few years so an extra spring set will come in handy someday.
John Allen-Ubertis are pretty awesome toys. I enjoy shooting my Colt but my Uberti 1873's are just as enjoyable, maybe moreso. I also have a ball with my C&B replicas made by Uberti and Pietta.

Green Frog
07-04-2015, 11:47 AM
I have a Navy Arms 1873 in 32-20 as well, haven't figured out who made it tho. Seems to be very well made, charcoal blue finish is a nice touch as well.

From what Val told me personally, the Navy Arms SAA 32-20s were from Uberti. We discussed this at some length and I think he would have mentioned it if there had been other manufacturers used.

Froggie

Sax.45
07-04-2015, 01:04 PM
I really like Uberti's, makes you wonder how they can produce them at the prices they do. I have one of the factory worked over Smokewagons from Taylors. Saying that It's slick is a hugh understatement. And at about 1/2 or so the price of a colt to boot.

I really would love to have a Colt, but being on a fixed income, It's just not going to happen. I'm extremely happy with my Uberti.

HABCAN
07-28-2015, 11:11 AM
145500 Well, I HAD a pair of 3rd gen Colts, but they were sold to defray costs She left me with. Now I have these Piettas for half the cost and their quality of fit and finish is far superior to those. These are also .44-40s, hehehe. 'Happy Days Are Here Again...........'

HABCAN
07-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Just gotta say it............those crazy wops over there with their traditional 'Old World craftsmanship' ( and brand new CNC machines) have BY FAR outdone, first, the original Colts, second, the 'new' Colts, and certainly any Rugers. Having played with them now for a while, admiring the absolutely MIRROR-finish bores, the almost-invisible cylinder/bbl gaps, and trying to make 'sloppy' reloads chamber (they won't!) I am truly, truly impressed. These cost ~CDN$500. When I bought my Colts decades ago they cost CDN$880. Now, they're bringing US$1,400+. Rugers sell for ~US$800. Speaking ONLY of .44-40s, Mike Venturino scathingly noted the New Vaqueros from Ruger had .427 (proper) cylinder throats, but had been made up with leftover .429 .44 MAG. bbls.!! You can guess where the 'accuracy' went. Pietta's case-hardening in colors of frames and hammers is a simply beautiful mix of blues and browns: my old Colts were sorta splotchy gray. The deep blue reminds me of S&W's heyday when Carl Hellstrom ran it and made 'pinned-and-recessed -2's'. I got a spare-parts kit JIC I ever bust sumpin' and a spare screws kit, having had one go adrift already: (I forgot, on SAA's the FIRST thing you do is locktite EVERYTHING, then shoot, LOL!) For about 1/3 the cost of modern Colts, these 'clones' are a superb tribute to their maker!! You can have any barrel length, finish, or grip material in four caliber choices. They've even brought out all the old different grip styles and a new larger one, and new transfer-bar models for those who need such. WOW!! <I have spoke!>

robertbank
07-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Pretty much covered it all. Most of us realize Rugers are for the most part kit guns. I guess with Colt in bankruptcy or whatever the current term is for creditor protection, it is fair game to point out, from a consumer's point of view one reason for the decline of Colt.

I agree my Uberti's are extremely well made, the way one should expect any firearm to be in today's world of CNC equipment.

Take Care

Bob

doc1876
07-30-2015, 01:07 PM
I will just have to say that the OP title is so correct. I have Colts, Ubertis, Navy and even a evil Ruger or two. Nope, can't have too many.