PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned my Marlin 30-30 barrel today.

44man
06-20-2015, 01:38 PM
I don't know why but read where accuracy should improve. The gun has a few years of nothing but cast. I have a tight jag and used Butch's triple twill patches. Jag was a little tight and I had to bump the rod through. I used Butch's bore shine too.
Patch had nothing on it, no lead and was not full of carbon either, just a tad gray. One dry patch was clean.
I don't think I will bother anymore.

sghart3578
06-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Gotta love it. That sounds like my Marlin 1894. It just keeps shootin'.

Bzcraig
06-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Nothing wrong with that! Just because I was taught to clean after shooting, I still run one through with Hoppe's on it, a couple of dry ones, one with a little oil then call it good.

Tatume
06-21-2015, 07:03 AM
More guns have probably been ruined by cleaning than neglect.

TXGunNut
06-21-2015, 01:36 PM
A shiny clean bore is overrated, IMHO. A proper boolit, lube and load won't build up much anyhow. I probably clean more than I should during load development but I do that so each load starts the same without having to overcome a previous load's fouling. I have a couple of j-word rifles that don't shoot well until a bit of copper fouling builds up in their 10-twist tubes.

MarkAD
06-25-2015, 09:46 PM
i like clean barrels. Last year i bought a bore scope, hooks to the laptop, ans use that for bore inspection. i found my wheel gun was leaded but none of my rifles. That thing is the best tool ever.
I said clean not shiny. Clean wins everytime.