PDA

View Full Version : Primmers in ammo cans?

3 gun Gus
06-20-2015, 12:05 PM
An older shooter at my club said that storing primers in an ammo can is no more dangerous than storing loaded ammo.
Is he right? He also said that it might even be safer because there is no chance of static charge setting them off in a
steel can.

Gus

salpal48
06-20-2015, 12:19 PM
I have been storing Mine in ammo cans for Years. No problem. cool and dry No humidity. I noticed There is aways someone or some writer has his own views on everything . If you like it that all that counts
Sal

bangerjim
06-20-2015, 12:19 PM
Ammo cans keep the humidity out (for you guys that live in wet areas). You can even put siilca gel in there. Makes a nice way to store and transport them to and from the storage area.

There have been many eye-opening tests and videos about static discharge and powder. One report shows a VERY high voltage continuous discharge into a pile of powder and it did not ignite.

I seriously doubt you could set off a primer with the tiny bit of static created in the holder. I believe the black plastic holder is an anti-stat formulation anyway. The metal can of the primer would carry any charge around the primer material.

I have not read of any accidental discharge of primers due to static. If someone has, please post.

I store all my many cases of primers in metal ammo cans.....just because I have them!

banger

Petrol & Powder
06-20-2015, 12:29 PM
As others have stated, ammo cans make good storage devices however I don't believe primers need anything more than a cool dry environment. As for the danger, I think that is far overstated. There is little chance of primers just "going off". I'd be more concerned about high heat and humidity damaging them than anything else and I've had primers in factory cardboard boxes that worked fine after 20 years of storage.
If you want to use ammo cans go for it but I don't think they are needed.

jmorris
06-20-2015, 12:40 PM
I have them in vacuum sealed bags now. Before that just kept them in a drawer or closet (I have some that are over 30 years old and still work 100%). I'll be dead before the ones I have in bags won't go "bang".

I guess a metal can is better than a glass mason jar.

HATCH
06-20-2015, 12:53 PM
you have to make sure the ammo cans have perfect seals.
If the seals aren't perfect then you risk a chance of condensation forming on the inside of the can if the room temperature increases too fast.

I heated my shop with a propane heater last winter.
One ammo can was soaking wet on the outside but dry on the inside.
Another was wet inside and out. Lost about 500 rds of 1950s non corrosive 30-06

williamwaco
06-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Put an ammo can full of primers and another full of ammo in a fire. What do you think would happen?

GOPHER SLAYER
06-20-2015, 01:46 PM
What is humidity?

mdi
06-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Just to be clear; storing primers in a GI ammo can, in the original boxes/sleeves/bricks, is OK.

Mk42gunner
06-20-2015, 02:33 PM
Put an ammo can full of primers and another full of ammo in a fire. What do you think would happen?

In theory, the ammo can should contain any projectiles while the excess pressure is vented by the gasket blowing out. I say in theory because I am not going to test it, not willingly anyway.

Robert

anotherred
06-20-2015, 04:08 PM

Mine would melt and I use the plastic ammo cans for that reason. I'm probabley over thinking it, but it makes sense in my head and that keeps me happy.

dudel
06-20-2015, 05:35 PM
Mine would melt and I use the plastic ammo cans for that reason. I'm probabley over thinking it, but it makes sense in my head and that keeps me happy.

Same here. plastic ammo cans for primers.

3 gun Gus
06-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Well, now I have a use for some of the ammo cans that used to be filled with 22 ammo.

Gus

Geezer in NH
06-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Kept low on the cellar floor are as a former fire investigator I doubt they will blow up.

dragon813gt
06-22-2015, 08:52 PM

The primers more than likely become a bomb while the ammo pops and a few stray rounds escape. SAAMI has a fifteen minute video where they burn loaded ammo in all types of conditions. Unfortunately they don't get to burning components.

When it comes to storage it's best to consult your local fire code. Most places have adopted the NFPA guidelines. Here is a link to SAAMI's recommendations for handling and storage of primers: http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_201-Primers.pdf

duckey
06-22-2015, 09:54 PM
Ammo cans are all I use.

JWT
06-23-2015, 12:32 AM
After loosing a brick of primers to a flooded basement I use a metal ammo can.

RogerDat
06-23-2015, 06:42 AM
The primers more than likely become a bomb while the ammo pops and a few stray rounds escape.....

When it comes to storage it's best to consult your local fire code. Most places have adopted the NFPA guidelines. Here is a link to SAAMI's recommendations for handling and storage of primers: http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_201-Primers.pdf

Very informative link. Have started to consider how to store reloading components so that home insurance company has no wiggle room in the event of a fire or other disaster. Not to mention best safety practices to protect self, family, and any emergency responders. Most of what I'm seeing involves wood box to provide some insulation without the compression to explosive force that a steel container would have.

Not more than 10k primers in a residence, no more than 25k transported in private vehicle. Hmmm some folks are going to need to move some of the stash out of the house and into the car :-)

I may end up considering a sealed wood foot locker out in the garden shed. Maybe with some insulation foam and moisture absorption to avoid condensation from temperature changes. Home and shed both under amounts required to meet codes or best practices. Rather than an excessive amount in one spot. 10 lbs. of powder and 10k primers are not that hard to exceed. 20 lbs. and 20k primers in two locations might work out better.

Ammo in ammo cans, I'm like so what was it originally used for? What am I putting in there now? Pretty sure I have less in there than they did originally.

dragon813gt
06-23-2015, 06:58 AM
10 lbs. of powder and 10k primers are not that hard to exceed. 20 lbs. and 20k primers in two locations might work out better.

Ammo in ammo cans, I'm like so what was it originally used for? What am I putting in there now? Pretty sure I have less in there than they did originally.

Best to check your local code for the limits. I know MD is limited to 5#s per residence. NFPA is 20#s in original containers. And 50#s if stored in a wooden cabinet w/ walls at least 1" thick.

The primer quantity is where most people really exceed the limit. This is assuming you have one. But most townships have some form of fire code. Loaded ammo in ammo cans......no limit at all :)

Lead Fred
06-23-2015, 08:01 AM
Ive got 12,000 primers in ammo cans, and about 500 in a tupperware box in the reloading shack.

Id be more worried about the 500 than the 12,000

Ole Joe Clarke
06-23-2015, 09:46 AM
I had the bright idea of storing primers in an ammo can. Then needed a box of small pistol, I proceeded to dump almost all of the box into the ammo box. I don't like loose, live primers bouncing around in any shape or fashion. I proceeded to gather up the loose primers and place them back in the container. I then moved all the primers out of the ammo can back into a cabinet. I have to protect me, from me, sometimes.
Reminds me of the kid I saw on utube gonna show me how to load 40 cal. He had loose primers in a glass jar. Shook me up so bad I did not watch the video. Anybody that stores loose primers needs his head examined.

jmorris
06-23-2015, 09:50 AM
And I was kidding when I said that in #5.

Ole Joe Clarke
06-23-2015, 10:57 AM
I hope you were kidding. :-)
I do see on you tube and read of things, in my opinion, that seem extremely dangerous. Since a primer is a device intended to function by striking, it should be left in the original container. Hatcher's Notebook tells of an individual, back in the day, carrying loose primers in a bucket, jiggling them as he walked through the shop. They detonated and killed him instantly. Made an impression on me.
Sorry for the thread highjacking.

Harter66
06-24-2015, 06:42 PM
I can tell you 1st hand that uncle has much larger primers than what we use stored in bigger cans longer than suggested above . They do so with cardboard liners and trays called anti-propagation packaging ,72 or 96 cans per pallet.

Artful
06-24-2015, 07:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

tazman
06-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Artful.... Thank you for posting that video. It was very informative. I feel a lot better now about my loaded ammo cache even though it doesn't approach the quantities used in the video.
The ammo they burned would have run me nearly the rest of my life.

jmorris
06-25-2015, 09:05 AM
It also looked like it was in cardboard boxes (as primers come in from the factory) If things that normally burn are allowed to build up pressure while doing so, results can be different. Like in Boston, although no doubt a pressure cooker can withstand more pressure than an ammo can, there is a potential for more energy to be stored then released.

williamwaco
06-28-2015, 06:03 PM
In theory, the ammo can should contain any projectiles while the excess pressure is vented by the gasket blowing out. I say in theory because I am not going to test it, not willingly anyway.

Robert

I have tested it with .22 hornet .38 special and .270 Winchester.

Each placed one at a time in a cardboard box and ignited with a magnifying glass.
Neither the bullets or the cartridge cases penetrated the cardboard.

Springfield
06-28-2015, 07:37 PM
I still like my storage idea of using an old refrigerator to store my primers and smokeless powder. Nice and sealed up in there, somewhat insulated against temp swings and against a fire, at least better than a wooden box. But not so strong that it will be a bomb if it catches fire. I even put a latch on it to keep out kids and other prying fingers. Park it outside my home. And it was free. The mini fridges work perfect for this.

mold maker
06-29-2015, 04:38 PM
Now we know where all the ammo went.
Great video that debunks a lot of suspicions.

nicholst55
06-29-2015, 05:15 PM
Now we know where all the ammo went.
Great video that debunks a lot of suspicions.

I just wish that it was mandatory training for ALL fire fighters! Most that I've heard of just sit back and watch it burn once they find out that there's ammo in the structure.

Tackleberry41
06-30-2015, 05:38 PM
If there was an issue, a metal can will contain the explosion more, which would cascade to other primers. That is if there is an issue, doubt just dropping it would do it, would require a fire. A fire would get ones one a shelf or in a can.

I keep most of mine in ammo cans, but put away, safe from humidity, weather, animals etc. I keep a brick of each type out for use, seldom get into whats in the cans, but just go buy another brick.

BILLYBOB44
06-30-2015, 06:33 PM
After loosing a brick of primers to a flooded basement I use a metal ammo can.

^^^Are you SURE that these primers were LOST???
I would venture to say that after the cardboard containers were dried out that you would not have less than 99% fire rate on these primers..Bill.[smilie=s:

FISH4BUGS
07-01-2015, 03:58 PM
I have well over 25,000 primers in a closet in the house. Inside, it doesn't get all that humid, and in the winter the wood stove keeps the humidty low.
Oh....then there is the 50+ lbs of powder in the same closet.
Oh...forgot about the 5000+ loaded rounds of ammo.
Oh yes....then there is the 10+ lbs of black powder.
Plus things that I probably forgot about.

zuke
07-04-2015, 03:22 PM
I was given about 1000 large rifle primer's for "disposal". Their 50's vintage CIL primer's in their original wooden "tray's" with paper sleeve's.
They ALL go bang. They were stored in a filing cabinet in the basement.

tazman
07-04-2015, 09:10 PM
^^^Are you SURE that these primers were LOST???
I would venture to say that after the cardboard containers were dried out that you would not have less than 99% fire rate on these primers..Bill.[smilie=s:

BillyBob44 is right. I had my basement flood a few years ago and had a box of 1000 small pistol primers get wet for 3 days before I could get the water out.
I dried them out by just letting them dry in the boxes since I thought they were ruined. It took quite some time for them to dry. After about 3 weeks I loaded a few of them as an experiment and they all fired. I loaded the rest of them and don 't remember having any misfires because of it.

kfarm
07-04-2015, 09:55 PM
I store my powder and primer's in an old refrigerator. Primer's in the freezer powder down below. The doors have a good seal and keep everything dry. And no its not on it hasn't worked for years. I also have another that I keep my dies in the freezer part and the moulds below.

pretzelxx
07-05-2015, 12:08 AM
That's the first thing I did when I bought primers two years ago. Ammo can with a pack of minute rice to keep the moisture out and made sure the seal was good. Packed them away and called it a day!

lightman
07-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Ammo cans are a wonderful invention! I bought 2 pallets of them back during the first Gulf War for a dollar each. The Wife thought (knew) I was nuts, but most of them have something in them. Some of them were really nasty, with lots of red or yellow dirt in them. They cleaned up just fine and a shot of silicon spray on the gasket has kept them in good shape.