PDA

View Full Version : Mojo micrometer sights with the snapsight front sight

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-23-2008, 08:06 AM
If you're over 45 and you've installed the Mojo micrometer rear sight and the Mojo snapsight front sight on your K-31, Mosin 91/30 or Finnish M-39, what was your results?

Positives?

Negatives?

I am to the point I can no longer see the top of a standard front sight clearly and have been advised the aperture front sight alleviates the focusing issue. But wanted to check with others before I try these out.

Thanks,

Dave

Three44s
03-27-2008, 09:24 AM
I have been waiting for someone with experience to chime in.

I too have been contemplating the same action as you but have not moved thus far.

I have done this however.

On a Marlin 94 I have swapped out the front bead and fitted a Globe sight (the kind with interchangeable inserts) and like this arrangement. I have not shot it with any of the appeture inserts yet ........ but like them none the less. This rifle wears a Williams rear peep sight.

And I can't see why the MOJO fronts would not be worth a try.

Regards

Three 44s

chuebner
03-27-2008, 10:38 AM
I imagine for hunting these sights are great but for target work, forget it. I bought the MOJO front and rear for one of my K31's about a year and a half ago and finally took them off and went back to the originals out of frustration. The sight picture is not fine enough with the standard aperture. The basic problem I see is that you are trying to make a peep sight work from a position too far away from the eye. I experimented with modifying a Williams receiver sight glued to the receiver bridge and that kind of worked but sight adjustment was a pain. So now I am back to the issue sights and I use a Merit disc on my glasses. I use the same setup for both of my K31's and Finn M39.

Charlie

P.S. One MOJO sight set for K31 w/aperture pack for sale.

dnepr
03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
well I have the that set up on my mosin and I really like it . There were 2 deer this fall that really hated it. I found that this sighting system took a little getting used to but I am really happy with it now. I found that I could not get the rear sight quite low enough . a bit of a frustration but I got it adjusted close. The loads I am using for hunting are some pretty hot factory stuff I picked up a couple years ago. 180 gr j-words at 2660 fps , 15 feet from the muzzle. Once these are used up and I think a reasonable handload will hit a little lower and be well with the sights adjustment range.
I am also only 38 with 20/20 vision so take my opinion for what it is worth.

Three44s
03-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I took a rifle class at college.

Our target rifles were fitted with an appeture front and rear ........

..... and we shot targets with them.

Three 44s

bcp477
03-30-2008, 07:33 PM
I use a variation on this set-up. I shoot mostly indoors, where light is a problem, even with some types of iron sights. I found that with both the rear and front apertures, that light transmission is reduced too much. So, I use the front aperture (snapsight), teamed with a modified Kar98k rear (filed so that the sight notch is an enlarged "U" shape, which works well with the front aperture. I also have the older, screw-adjustable Mojo rear sight, that I have modified by cutting the top half off of the aperture. The remainder formas a very nice "U" which perfectly fits the front aperture. So, I line up the sights by simply placing the front aperture into the rear "U" notch...then centre the front aperture over the target face. This allows me to look THROUGH the sights, focusing my eyes only on the target face, NOT the sights. This works very well for me...and my eyes are terrible, in comparison with many years ago.

Certainly, there is no need to modify the Mojo sights, unless that happened to work better for you (like me). My modification is only because of the conditions while shooting indoors. For outdoor use, the mods aren't needed at all. In any case, I highly recommend the Mojo sights. I am much more accurate with them than I ever was with a conventional front sight post or blade...because with the Mojos, there is nothing subtending the target face. As I said you can look THROUGH the sights...and focus your eyes only on the target beyond.

dnepr
03-31-2008, 01:06 PM
I use a variation on this set-up. I shoot mostly indoors, where light is a problem, even with some types of iron sights. I found that with both the rear and front apertures, that light transmission is reduced too much. So, I use the front aperture (snapsight), teamed with a modified Kar98k rear (filed so that the sight notch is an enlarged "U" shape, which works well with the front aperture. I also have the older, screw-adjustable Mojo rear sight, that I have modified by cutting the top half off of the aperture. The remainder formas a very nice "U" which perfectly fits the front aperture. So, I line up the sights by simply placing the front aperture into the rear "U" notch...then centre the front aperture over the target face. This allows me to look THROUGH the sights, focusing my eyes only on the target face, NOT the sights. This works very well for me...and my eyes are terrible, in comparison with many years ago.

Certainly, there is no need to modify the Mojo sights, unless that happened to work better for you (like me). My modification is only because of the conditions while shooting indoors. For outdoor use, the mods aren't needed at all. In any case, I highly recommend the Mojo sights. I am much more accurate with them than I ever was with a conventional front sight post or blade...because with the Mojos, there is nothing subtending the target face. As I said you can look THROUGH the sights...and focus your eyes only on the target beyond.

Have you shot this open rear /aperture front combination outdoors? how did it work? I am curios becaus my unfired as of yet Snider Cadet Carbine has been modified with a wierd sort of apeture front. If this system works well in brighter lights I may be in for a pleasant surprise when I finally get out with this rifle.

bcp477
03-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Sure, I have used these sights outdoors. They work just fine. As I said, the modification was specifically for use indoors, but outdoors is no problem.

dnepr
04-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Sure, I have used these sights outdoors. They work just fine. As I said, the modification was specifically for use indoors, but outdoors is no problem.

good to know . thanks