PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger AR556 !

W.R.Buchanan
06-19-2015, 05:13 PM
http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html

I just saw this in my new AR that came today.

This is a basic AR that IMHO is set up perfect for a Basic Rifle to build on or just fine the way it is. It already has all the proper features you are looking for on an AR. IE: A Good Barrel, 7075 Aluminum Receivers, Good Basic Sights, Forward Assist, and brass deflector and is essentially ready to take on the world right out of the box.

I personally would add a Magpul Stock and Fore End and a Red Dot Optic and a Sling and be good to go. That's just me. This is very close to how I have My Bushmaster Carbon 15 set up except I have more like $1000 in it.

It has a hammer forged 1:8 twist barrel and comes with a Magpul magazine.

The MSRP on this gun is $749 which means the street price should be $550 to $650.

Guys,,, This is a lot of bang for your AR buck! And you could do a lot worse and spend a whole lot more doing it. Lots of value here and anyone wanting an AR but not wanting to dive in too deep but still wanting a good serviceable rifle in case of a TEOTWAWKI or SHTF situation should have a look at this one.

Randy

osteodoc08
06-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Best part is, it comes with a warranty! And Ruger's CS should the need ever arise.

lefty o
06-19-2015, 11:57 PM
the ruger ar's are decent, they do need a trigger.

W.R.Buchanan
06-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Lefty: I just did a Trigger job on my Bushmaster which had a 9 lb trigger out of the box. It took 20 minutes to stone the fine grind marks off the sear and hammer step and I put a set of JP springs I got from Brownells for $12. Result 4 lb trigger... I also included a dab of molydisulfide grease which did more to improve things than the stoning did.

My point is just by changing the springs and greasing it I would have ended up with good result.

To do this you have to take the upper off so you can get to the top of the lower and knock out two pins. Change the springs and then put it back together. This is literally a 5 minute job.

If a guy can clean his bolt he can do this.

But the other way to go is to just shoot the gun. Usually triggers and other moving parts will wear in, in pretty short order.

Many people don't understand that guns like this are actually machines. And machines all need to break in during initial use.

Randy

TXGunNut
06-20-2015, 11:56 AM
Looks good, Randy! It is indeed a well thought out package and would make a very good car gun as it comes out of the box. I may (or may not ;-) ) have a S&W MSR but it's set up for varmint control in low-light situations.

wrench man
06-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Mine must of had a good trigger to begin with?, I don't have an issue with it?, other than wiping off the GALLON! of oil it was dipped in!?, all I've done to it was mount a Nikon P-223 3-9x40 in Burris tactical rings on top.

Uncle R.
06-28-2015, 10:24 AM
The question for me is "How do they shoot?"
<
My personal experience with Ruger centerfire rifles is modest but with surprisingly uniform results. Every one I've owned or fired has delivered mediocre accuracy. After a half-dozen or so tries I pretty much decided I'd spend my rifle dollars somewhere else, and that's been my course over many years. I don't want to derail Randy's thread but with MOA ARs about as common as grass, how do the Rugers stack up? I'd be curious to hear real world results of extensive testing - not just stories of "one lucky group."
<
As for triggers, are Ruger triggers standard AR design? I'm just wondering if parts and tools for "regular" ARs can be used in the Ruger, and if drop in conversion triggers will fit. Any information would be helpful.
<
Thanks!
<
Uncle R.

lefty o
06-28-2015, 10:27 AM
standard trigger will work in a ruger ar, ruger as of yet hasnt redesigned the world. lol

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-29-2015, 12:05 PM
I held one at my local store a few weeks ago as soon as I get the money together I am buying one store price was 625 for an all All American made AR that seems to be basic but done very right

TenTea
06-29-2015, 12:54 PM
I held one at my local store a few weeks ago as soon as I get the money together I am buying one store price was 625 for an all All American made AR that seems to be basic but done very right

C'mon Pete, we all know *Old Reliable* is more your style! :kidding:

Ickisrulz
06-29-2015, 02:32 PM
I bet Ruger doesn't make even one part on this rifle.

Rustyleee
06-29-2015, 03:38 PM

When they first came out they had pictures either in an email or on their website of the plant where they were making parts.

376Steyr
06-29-2015, 05:02 PM
A fellow could do worse than buying a couple of these, leaving them in the boxes, and squirreling them away. Add a couple of 25 packs of Brownells magazines and some bulk factory .223 ammo and you'll be set to make a little money during the next panic.

osteodoc08
06-29-2015, 08:09 PM
Saw one for $650 locally. Typically a little room to haggle. Standard AR fare. No surprises.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-30-2015, 12:01 AM
C'mon Pete, we all know *Old Reliable* is more your style! :kidding:

your just jealous I figured out out how to hit the same plate at 100 yards for a nickle a round with my old reliable that you shoot with the J-words

W.R.Buchanan
06-30-2015, 05:02 PM

You'd be wrong on that one.

Ruger makes the vast majority of this gun. IE: the barrel for sure because Ruger makes barrels for just about everyone in the industry except Remington. Also they have to make the receivers because they are assigning the serial numbers to them and no company can do this for them.

I also know that the internal MIM Parts are made exclusively for Ruger. Everyone has to have their own dies for MIM parts and they have to pay for them... Nobody is paying for them and letting others use them too.

As far as the Furniture probably not.

But there isn't much left of an AR but the Receivers and the Barrel that matters. All the rest of the parts are easily obtainable from numerous places. I really don't care who made them as I will use them or not based on their suitability for my gun.

However this gun has everything you need in one place for one price. A Sling and a Red Dot are personal choices. But the gun runs like it comes right out of the box.

I just did a trigger job on my Bushmaster Carbon 15. It had all the same stock AR internal parts as every other AR out there. These guns are the best example of interchangeable parts capability that anyone has ever produced. Virtually anyone with the tools can assemble one in their garage with only a book to guide them and it really isn't that hard. There is no critical part of assembly. Even headspace is controlled to a Gnats **** in the manufacturing of the barrel and bolt.

Ruger says "Completely made in the US." I am willing to believe them.

Randy

Artful
07-06-2015, 05:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ehlerMfQQ

garym1a2
07-06-2015, 08:34 AM
Compaines outsourced this all the time. I wonder if this gun is anybetter than the $550 M&P sport?

Ruger makes the vast majority of this gun. IE: the barrel for sure because Ruger makes barrels for just about everyone in the industry except Remington. Also they have to make the receivers because they are assigning the serial numbers to them and no company can do this for them.

I also know that the internal MIM Parts are made exclusively for Ruger. Everyone has to have their own dies for MIM parts and they have to pay for them... Nobody is paying for them and letting others use them too.

But there isn't much left of an AR but the Receivers and the Barrel that matters. All the rest of the parts are easily obtainable from numerous places. I really don't care who made them as I will use them or not based on their suitability for my gun.

However this gun has everything you need in one place for one price. A Sling and a Red Dot are personal choices. But the gun runs like it comes right out of the box.

I just did a trigger job on my Bushmaster Carbon 15. It had all the same stock AR internal parts as every other AR out there. These guns are the best example of interchangeable parts capability that anyone has ever produced. Virtually anyone with the tools can assemble one in their garage with only a book to guide them and it really isn't that hard. There is no critical part of assembly. Even headspace is controlled to a Gnats **** in the manufacturing of the barrel and bolt.

Randy

dragon813gt
07-06-2015, 08:47 AM
Compaines outsourced this all the time. I wonder if this gun is anybetter than the $550 M&P sport?

I'd go even further and wonder if it's better than a $400 DelTon. My experience w/ new Ruger products over the past year has been plain bad. All but one had to go back due to lack of quality control. I know a brand name AR will always be eaiser to sell and command more money. But the market prices are at rock bottom and you can build a sub MOA rifle for only a little more than the cost of the Ruger.

gpidaho
07-06-2015, 09:47 AM
Ruger's Site shows a suggested retail price of over $2,000 for this rifle. The non-takedown base 556 @ $750. Bud's shows a price of over $1,450. Did I miss something? GP

FergusonTO35
07-06-2015, 10:27 AM
I'm not much of an auto loader guy but that AR-556 is sharp. W.R. Buchanon, is the bullet button and other AWB workarounds still an option for you?

dragon813gt
07-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Ruger's Site shows a suggested retail price of over $2,000 for this rifle. The non-takedown base 556 @ $750. Bud's shows a price of over $1,450. Did I miss something? GP

They make an AR556 which is DI. And the SR556 which is piston. Just make sure you're looking at the right model.

W.R.Buchanan
07-07-2015, 03:26 AM
I'm not much of an auto loader guy but that AR-556 is sharp. W.R. Buchanon, is the bullet button and other AWB workarounds still an option for you?

Yes it is, and there are "Tools" to facilitate the mag changes now that work so well I just leave it on all the time. I even did a Front Sight Rifle Class with it on and nobody knew the difference. Believe me, no one is enforcing any of these laws anyway as long as you don't rob a bank or anything like that. Then they are "pile on charges."

Randy

FergusonTO35
07-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Glad to hear it. Seeing all the garbage you have to put up with out there makes me appreciate the Bluegrass even more.

Ickisrulz
07-09-2015, 07:18 AM

Randy

I have no hard evidence that Ruger doesn't manufacture everything on these rifles. But it would be strange if they tooled up to do so. It is my understanding that all AR "manufacturers" outsource parts from a relatively few companies that have the capacity to make these items in large quantities to various specifications. The parts are then assembled.

BTW, there are a known handful of manufacturers supplying receivers to many companies to which serial numbers are added along the way. I know one gun shop that sells stripped receivers with their own roll marks and serial numbers that they get from Aeroprecision. Ruger can do, and probably does, the same.

This is not to knock Ruger....a company which I truly appreciate.

SWMO1
07-20-2015, 10:26 AM
A friend got one several weeks ago and I helped him sight a scope on it. It shot <2MOA which is a good start. Seems like a good basic AR. No FTF, loading or ejecting issues. Trigger is heavy and rough. It's priced right for what you get and as mentioned, backed by Ruger. I've built several ARs and for the price of a basic rifle you can't hardly beat it. What are the opinions about 1 in 8 twist vs 1 in 9 as a standard barrel?