PDA

View Full Version : Time to park my 22 rifles

27judge
06-19-2015, 04:46 PM
Ammo is to short in supply to costly and to hard to find to use it for plinking anymore. I shoot most all my center fire rifles and handguns with reloads and cast cheaper then a box of 22 lr. I ordered a Day State 22 cal Regal XL huntsman today along with a vortex scope mounts rings and air tank. With a 80 mile round trip to the range my shooting has been cut back to much. This air rifle will allow me to shoot in my back yard and give me a fine rifle for Starling and Squirrel shooting. I have 2 fine 22 rifles that will set in my safe for special outings. I look forward to my new experience. tks KEN

waynem34
06-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Post up some pic when you get it shooting.

bangerjim
06-19-2015, 05:26 PM
For close-up (in the 60 foot backyard) I shoot propane gas-powered airsoft pistols. I have a Sig and a 1911 that are exact replicas and function of the real ones. At ~450 to 550 FPS, not bad! Full magazine operation.

And the battery powered Thompson Typewriter and AK are an absolute hoot to shoot in full auto mode.

If you ever start using anything airsoft.....DO NOT take off or paint the orange tip of the barrel!!!!!

abunaitoo
06-19-2015, 06:20 PM
I wonder if .22 ammo shortage is part of a government conspiracy????
New shooters learn on .22's. If there is no .22 ammo, no new shooters.
Government is buying up all the 9mm, 308, .223.
I wounder if their doing the same with .22 ammo????

osteodoc08
06-19-2015, 06:25 PM
It'll come back around. The process of priming the 22 round is more labor intensive and takes longer. Patience my friend.

27judge
06-19-2015, 06:40 PM
IM sure Patience will pay in the end , but Crossman 22 cal premier pellets at 8.99 per 500 and a 12 cubic tank of air at the local dive shop for 7.00 ( approx. 1000 shots )available any time I hope to get in a lot of shooting waiting for the 22 long rifle market to get back to normal tks KEN

tygar
06-19-2015, 06:52 PM
I know that 22s have been hard to get but I've been able to get quite a few like over 10k & not work that hard at it & pay m/l reasonable prices. I've just had the 22s on the "let me know" when they are in with the usual dealers, Midway, Natchez, Jerry's etc. & when one pops up & I get there in time I get the 1k or whatever they'll give me. Just got another 1050 from Midway a couple days ago I'm waiting on. I keep some stuff in the cart to buy whenever 22s come available. FWIW

jcwit
06-19-2015, 07:20 PM
It'll come back around. The process of priming the 22 round is more labor intensive and takes longer. Patience my friend.

For us old folks patience is something in short supply.

I too have switched to airguns, both pistols and rifles.

jcwit
06-19-2015, 07:22 PM
I know that 22s have been hard to get but I've been able to get quite a few like over 10k & not work that hard at it & pay m/l reasonable prices. I've just had the 22s on the "let me know" when they are in with the usual dealers, Midway, Natchez, Jerry's etc. & when one pops up & I get there in time I get the 1k or whatever they'll give me. Just got another 1050 from Midway a couple days ago I'm waiting on. I keep some stuff in the cart to buy whenever 22s come available. FWIW

And what do you pay for a brick plus shipping?

Is it that high quality stuff put out by Remington?

jsizemore
06-19-2015, 07:29 PM

Remington puts out some high quality stuff?

JeffinNZ
06-19-2015, 07:36 PM
I wonder if .22 ammo shortage is part of a government conspiracy????

Nope. It's simple supply and demand. As long as shooters keep hoarding and snapping up all the .22RF that becomes available manufacturers will not be able to keep up. It's a vicious circle. Everyone needs to take a breath.

jcwit
06-19-2015, 08:11 PM
Nope. It's simple supply and demand. As long as shooters keep hoarding and snapping up all the .22RF that becomes available manufacturers will not be able to keep up. It's a vicious circle. Everyone needs to take a breath.

After 8 years of this I really wonder anymore. Canada does not have this shortage, and most of their .22 ammo comes from the U.S.A.

Plus there is little to no shortage of match ammo.

Makes one wonder???

Plus, where are the facts, as in actual numbers from the manufacturer to support the above opinion.

JeffinNZ
06-19-2015, 09:00 PM
After 8 years of this I really wonder anymore. Canada does not have this shortage, and most of their .22 ammo comes from the U.S.A.

Plus there is little to no shortage of match ammo.

Makes one wonder???

Plus, where are the facts, as in actual numbers from the manufacturer to support the above opinion.

OK. Yes, it's all Obama.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/education/faqs.aspx

"Q: Why is ammunition in certain calibers so hard to find?

A: The current market and environment is causing stronger than usual demand for products in our industry.

Q: Are certain contracts taking ammunition away from civilians?

A: No. We remain committed to serving all channels of our business. The majority of our product serves the commercial market."

https://www.federalpremium.com/company/faq.aspx

"Why is ammunition in certain calibers so hard to find?

The current market and environment is causing stronger than usual demand for products in our industry."

Maybe the Canucks are not hoarding.

jcwit
06-19-2015, 09:08 PM
OK. Yes, it's all Obama.

Possible, very possible.

He's screwed up everything else!

jcwit
06-19-2015, 09:10 PM
OK. Yes, it's all Obama.

Once again!

Plus, where are the facts, as in actual numbers from the manufacturer to support the above opinion, from your post in #11?

kiwi
06-19-2015, 09:14 PM
There doesn't seem to be a real shortage here, I guess Kiwi's and Canuck's don't hoard as much.

Beagle333
06-19-2015, 10:02 PM
I got two .22 rifles and one brick of ammo. They're my "fall back to" rifles now. Until I find some more ammo they are just there for emergencies if I somehow run out of reloads.

MaryB
06-19-2015, 10:09 PM
I have enough 22lr for the summer, 2k rounds of target and 500 hollow points for hunting. WalMarts here are getting it in but the scalpers are still buying it up. One of the stores now puts it out randomly to stop them instead of first thing in the morning as they unload truck. And they banned one of the scalpers from the store!

lefty o
06-19-2015, 11:53 PM
its getting more and more common every day. the hoarders are maxing out and starting to not buy every single box they can find.

fatelk
06-19-2015, 11:53 PM
I remember back in the day, when I was a teenager, a box of 50 .22lr rounds would last me all day, with a few left over. Nowadays people have to burn through two or three bricks to be happy.

if I can get my kids to shoot frugally too, I've got plenty for a long time.

I think it's just like pistol powder: there are a lot more people buying .22 ammo, some people buying a lot more, and a lot of us buying none at all because of everyone else buying it all up.

I'll sure be glad when everyone finally has their fill, when all the cupboards and closets are full, and ordinary people can buy it again without going to extraordinary lengths like going to Walmart at 5am or back ordering in bulk online.

Artful
06-20-2015, 07:24 AM
I remember back in the day, when I was a teenager, a box of 50 .22lr rounds would last me all day, with a few left over. Nowadays people have to burn through two or three bricks to be happy.

Yeah, but back in the day most of us had either single shots or manual repeaters with maybe 10 round magazines. Now you have Semi-Auto's with 25 round magazines.

Back in the day our targets of opportunity were mainly a few moving live varmints, today they are shooting paper, plastic, and metal.

It does make a difference.

cajun shooter
06-20-2015, 07:27 AM
I miss the days in Louisiana when I could even stop at the local gas station and buy a box of 22 ammo at the same time. Life was so easy then. The gun stores have even gotten into the scalping business, by that I mean the smaller stores and not the big stores. They are buying all the good stuff up and selling it for three times the price of retail on Gun Broker. Sad Very Sad

richhodg66
06-20-2015, 09:14 AM
Air rifles are cool, and I piced up two older Sheridans as a result of the shortage, but we're all casters! Get a mold for your favorite .22 centerfire and drive on.

tygar
06-20-2015, 09:25 AM

I only get Rem, Win, CCI, Fed.

Think I paid $31 ea for 2 - 525rd box last week. I never buy when they are trying to gouge me. Shipping doesn't enter into it, as I said, I keep stuff in the cart I want to just add the ammo to it. Can't add much to shipping since it was like $7 on the last stuff I ordered, including the 22s.

I actually have 2 Feinweikbraus (sp?) sitting around. My boys used to use them to shoot birds etc.

Wonder where they are?

Der Gebirgsjager
06-20-2015, 10:25 AM
I think the price of .22 ammo is slowly starting to come back down to something reasonable. Not long back 10 cents plus per round was the going rate. Now it's not hard to find at 8 cents. If my math is right Tygar paid just under 6 cents per round (5.9)--very encouraging. I don't believe we'll ever see it at a penny again, but I'm optimistic for $25 per 500 rd. brick and eventually $20 on sale.

jcwit
06-20-2015, 02:33 PM
I only get Rem, Win, CCI, Fed.

Think I paid $31 ea for 2 - 525rd box last week. I never buy when they are trying to gouge me. Shipping doesn't enter into it, as I said, I keep stuff in the cart I want to just add the ammo to it. Can't add much to shipping since it was like $7 on the last stuff I ordered, including the 22s.

I actually have 2 Feinweikbraus (sp?) sitting around. My boys used to use them to shoot birds etc.

Wonder where they are?

I'm glad you are able to find .22 ammo in the price range you accept.

Frankly I haven't purchased any .22's for years, in fact ever since this madness started.

For some reason just before this all started many of the big box stores in my area had sales on bricks of Federal & CCI. I bought a brick here and there just because it was only $6 or 8 bucks a brick, never bought any of the Remington garbage. Took inventory a few months ago and my count is in the 20 to 30 thousand rounds. This does not include the match ammo ie; SK Rifle & Pistol Match, Lapua Match ammo. Now granted the match ammo I paid anywhere from $80 to $120 bucks a brick, but it is a far cry from anything produced here in the U.S.

To bad you misplaced the Feinwerkbau, what models did you have? However the sidecocker has even been replaced by the PCP's.

dkf
06-20-2015, 02:50 PM
I doubt I will be buying any more than 1 or 2 rimfires in the future. Depending on the factory for rimfire blows goats. I am just not the type to wait in line at stores to open and get into the stampede to the ammo. It was hilarious to watch at Cabela's though. I am just glad I have some stuffed away from before all this **** started.

Also, we need to talk Obama into moving to NZ.

tygar
06-20-2015, 03:54 PM
I'm glad you are able to find .22 ammo in the price range you accept.

Frankly I haven't purchased any .22's for years, in fact ever since this madness started.

For some reason just before this all started many of the big box stores in my area had sales on bricks of Federal & CCI. I bought a brick here and there just because it was only $6 or 8 bucks a brick, never bought any of the Remington garbage. Took inventory a few months ago and my count is in the 20 to 30 thousand rounds. This does not include the match ammo ie; SK Rifle & Pistol Match, Lapua Match ammo. Now granted the match ammo I paid anywhere from $80 to $120 bucks a brick, but it is a far cry from anything produced here in the U.S.

To bad you misplaced the Feinwerkbau, what models did you have? However the sidecocker has even been replaced by the PCP's.

I can't remember the #s. There around somewhere, I've seen at least one recently.

I also, had a number of bricks before the shortage, I was talking about being able to get them now.

I looked at the invoice & the latest price was: $30.99 for the 525 box of Rems & $29.99 for Rem Thunderbolt. So I got 2k+ in the last order. So, not that hard. I have also got them for less than that, but can't remember for what.

I got some of the CCI match in a recent buy & it shot excellent in several 22s including 2 10-22s, a BSA & of course, match rifles.

At 5 or 6 cents apiece, that's still cheap practice & fun, especially when one primer & pistol powder cost that much & one cheap .223 is .35 a round.

jcwit
06-20-2015, 04:23 PM
I re3load handgun calibers for around $ .02 each or less, rifle as in 30/30 or .223 runs less than a nickel.

Man I'm glad I stocked up 15/20 years ago. Just happened into the right sales and stores going out of business.

tygar
06-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Ya can't do it at todays prices! Primers cost .03 ea, powder @10gr is .03, bullets even if you make them are 35 a lb at 200gr. In rifles the same or more costs are involved since 20gr of powder would be .06 etc. If you buy the loaded, as I was stateing with the .223 its .35 or more ea. Apples to apples - loaded .22 to .223.

jcwit
06-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Ya can't do it at todays prices!

How true. But I have plinking .22 at $6.00 a brick, likely more than I'll ever use.

I have sleeves upon sleeves of primers that cost somewhere between $35.00 to $38.00 a sleeve. A sleeve is 5,000 primers.

I have 8 lb. jugs of powder that I bought at $8.00 a lb. or less.

I cast for most of what I shoot, all my lead is free, I'm a member of a local indoor range and when we clean up the backstop the lead is free for the taking.

Ya, I have 10 thousand or so pull down copper jacket bullets that I bought 20/30/ heck it might have been 40 years ago, no idea what I have in them.

Apples to apples, I don't know, but I shoot pretty cheap.

Saves me enough cash to buy a few Webley & HW & Beeman air pistols.

Wis. Tom
06-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Clinton running in 2016, should stop any slowdown, in the dropping of prices of ammo. I would say that she doesn't have a chance of winning, but I said that twice, when Obama ran, and look where that got me.

backroad
06-20-2015, 08:08 PM
You are going to love that daystate wont even miss 22 rimfire i speck.

dakotashooter2
06-22-2015, 01:56 PM
I live I a small town. we used to have about 3 retailers that sold .22 ammo. Not one of them has seen or had even a 50 rnd box in 4 or 5 years.............. It's a 40 minute drive for me to the nearest town that might have some and the few times I did find it I decided I was not willing to spend 12 cents per round.......

Fortunately I shoot single shots so what I have lasts me a bit longer than most. The popularity of semi autos is partially contributing to the shortage. A couple boxes could last me most of an afternoon. With a semi auto and large capacity mags that's maybe a minutes worth.

27judge
06-22-2015, 02:34 PM
I have a Walmart 5 min from my house , Dicks sporting goods 15 min and a Bass pro shop 30 min . I have called and stopped in many times and have yet to find a single brick or box of bulk ammo on the shelve. single 50 rd boxes are available ( rare ) at 3.50 and up. You guys are sure lucky to live in a area that has 22 lr available. For my 25 yard plinking and starling shots I believe a new high grade air rifle is going to reopen a lot of shooting for me , including a nice 25 yard back yard range 100 ft from my neighbors . I will hang on to the few 22 long ammo and one real nice Ruger custom rifle for those rare Squirrel hunts in WV . Tks for your time its been a interesting post. KEN