PDA

View Full Version : I don't really like these Gator checks

Patrick L
03-23-2008, 07:53 AM
OK, go start heating up the tar and plucking chickens. I know I'm going to get it for this, but I'm not overly impressed with these Gator checks.

I got into last year's .30 cal buy. I didn't get around to loading any till this fall. Now that I've used about 500 of them, I just don't like them as well as the Hornadys I've used for years. Don't get me wrong, the do the job, and for the price I can't complain.

My biggest complaint is that they seem to be more rounded at the base than the Hornadys. I end up with more of a roundbase bullet than a flatbase. I like a nice sharp base, not only because I think it helps accuracy, but also since I use Lyman and RCBS lubesizers, and I get lube on the rounded base which I then need to wipe off.

Like I said, for the price you can't have everything. I haven't done any indepth accuracy testing (that will happen this summer) and I guess that will be the acid test. We need to be honest here and this is just my .02

Blammer
03-23-2008, 10:46 AM
yep, I see your point on the 30 cal.

I am looking at some 35, 257 and 375 along with the 30 cal's and the others seem to have a "sharper" edge on them than the 30 cal's.

yea it's a bit of a pain to have to wipe the little bit of lube off, but to me it's no big deal.

Springfield
03-23-2008, 11:52 AM
With the difference you saved on the checks maybe you can buy a Star!

PatMarlin
03-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I just went and checked my 30cal Gators from a couple of years ago, against a Hornady, and you're right- the edge is much rounder on the gator.

Then I looked at some Gator .224's and the edge is sharp like the Hornadys. It looks like Gator's 30cal die needs a little work.

Newtire
03-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Hey Patrick,

I see what you are talking about. I wouldn't have noticed unless you had said something.

If you are disappointed enough to want to sell them, I will give you what ya paid for them.

Let me know if you really don't want them.

Char-Gar
03-28-2008, 08:41 AM
I have wiped the base of every cast bullet I have lubed for the past 48 years. I thought everbody did. I want zero lube on the bases/gas checks of cast bullets.

felix
03-28-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't think I have ever loaded a condom bullet with sharp edges. A sharper edge will burn faster than a rounded edge, and will not seat into the case as straight as a rounded edge with dies not made specifically for the gun AND bullet. Compare the runout of the loaded cartridges. ... felix

sundog
03-28-2008, 11:55 AM
I like that rounded edge on the gator check. A LOT. My rifles seem to like it, too.

edit to add: Oh yeah, I wipe, too.

Calamity Jake
03-28-2008, 02:38 PM
You absolutley have to wipe there little butts.

And I like the Gaters too

500bfrman
03-28-2008, 03:40 PM
just drink more gator koolaid

Patrick L
03-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks Newtire, but I don't hate them that much.

I guess my point was I don't like them as much as the Hornadys. But at the GB price I guess I can't really complain. This summer I'll do some real accuracy tests comparing them to the Hornadys. If they shoot as well, I guess it won't be an issue then.

PatMarlin
03-28-2008, 07:42 PM
I've got a few 30 cal molds that Hornadys fit loose on the shank, but the Gators sure hold well.

Ed K
03-29-2008, 09:19 AM
I see on the 2nd run group buy thread the .224's are limited to 80K total because the Gator's 22 cal die is worn out. I wonder if these last checks were cut at the end of the dies' life and are round like you fellas are experiencing?

Have folks always had good experiences with the .458's?

Jon K
03-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Yea, maybe rounder on thebase, but more important to me is THEY FIT. My 311041 & 311291 the shank is too big for Hornady.
That's my $.02

Jon

smokemjoe
05-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Anyone out there bumps the bullet in a die that has been be made with the same throating reamer as what the rifle has in it, Just wanted to see if the base will form flat after bumped. Joe

Patrick L
05-17-2008, 09:55 PM
I wrote in my initial post here

Like I said, for the price you can't have everything. I haven't done any indepth accuracy testing (that will happen this summer) and I guess that will be the acid test.

Well, these Gators have passed the accuracy test with flying colors. I posted a few weeks ago about some nice groups I got with my .30-30, and I've shot two Highpower matches with the 03A3 .30-06 and gotten groups every bit as tight as I got with Hornady checks.

Since I posted the complaint, I figure I should post a retraction. These Gators are just peachy in my book. Even if I have to wipe their butts.

uncle joe
05-17-2008, 10:11 PM
You absolutley have to wipe there little butts.

And I like the Gaters too

I thought everybody wiped:-D

Blammer
05-17-2008, 11:13 PM
GREAT! I'm glad they shoot for you!

afterall that's part of what's important, and yea I gotta wipe em too but a small price to pay for the "nice" price of em..