PDA

View Full Version : mossberg patriot, love at first sight!

nekshot
06-19-2015, 01:53 PM
I was glancing thru a deer magazine of my sons and saw this ad for a mossberg patriot rifle and I must admit I instantly fell in love with it, do I need it no but something very quaint and american stirred in me and I am not a big mossberg fan! I wonder if that stock in picture is really wood or plastic. It definetly caught my eye!

Artful
06-19-2015, 02:01 PM
Looks like it comes wood, laminate and synthetic

http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2015/01/mossberg_patriot_rifle.jpg
http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/mossberg-patriot/

Fishman
06-19-2015, 07:47 PM
Lines remind me of the Remington 700 classic, so I like it too! I wonder how good the checkering is?

Mk42gunner
06-20-2015, 12:19 AM
Call me old fashioned, but I don't care for the helix on the bolt body.

Robert

runfiverun
06-20-2015, 12:28 AM
if it shoots like the old mossburg 270 the wife used to have you'll forget about the helix bolt, fluted barrel, and the scope package.

Artful
06-20-2015, 12:32 AM
Was her's the 810 bolt action?

nekshot
06-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Looking at their advert makes me like it more! Nice weight and some good calibers, I would go 7-08 and hope it would shoot close to our other 7-08's in the corral especially in cast! What is their actual price range? All american also I think.

TXGunNut
06-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Looks good, even though I'm not a fan of fluted barrels or scope packages. For some reason I like the fluted bolt, tho. MVP line looks like fun too.

Nicholas
06-20-2015, 12:58 PM
if it shoots like the old mossburg 270 the wife used to have you'll forget about the helix bolt, fluted barrel, and the scope package.

I can say the same for my Mossberg 1500 in '06. I also wore all the finish off of a walnut stocked, jeweled bolt Mossberg 500 shotgun duck hunting in all sorts of nasty conditions and it never let me down. Its still fully functional as a chuck snitching apples out of my back yard learned to his dismay a few years ago.

runfiverun
06-20-2015, 04:06 PM
I don't remember the designation, it wasn't built on the Howa action though.
I do remember it wouldn't group well until I increased the bullet jump to about 1/2" or so.

Three Bears
11-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Anthe Patriot in 308? What loads and type of accuracy? Thanks

FergusonTO35
11-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Ooh, you can get one with sights. Even better, you can get a stainless/gray laminate .375 Ruger for $584.00 MSRP. That's alot of horsepower for the money. I bet that would be a sweet rifle with cast boolits.

freebullet
11-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Mossberg is a joke. They won't stand behind their products or warranty. Imo they've Fallin in to the junk category. Buyer beware!!

DougGuy
11-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Hmm... Certainly a noticeable void of information on where the rifles and/or components are made. Generally this spells import. If this is true, how can they get off calling it a "Patriot" and including the stars and stripes in the rifle's logo? Is it a trick of advertising or does that logo conveniently look a whole lot like the New England Patriots' logo? Sales pitch here? "Suggestive" advertising? Outright trademark infringement?

There is a rumor that barrels are made in Mexico, and only one review I found said the country of "origin" is USA. With a name like "Patriot" and Mossberg kicking off a major shift to these rifles you would think that they would want to capitalize on Made In USA for the brand. Oh well...

Artful
11-24-2015, 04:13 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.F._Mossberg_%26_Sons

Texas Production Facility
In 1989, faced with increased foreign competition and rising labor and production costs, Mossberg's corporate affiliate Maverick Arms opened a 40,000-square-foot manufacturing plant in the Eagle Pass Industrial Park in the state of Texas.

The Eagle Pass, Texas production facility was greatly enlarged in 2013 after new gun control legislation was signed into law in Connecticut which would have banned some Mossberg rifles and shotguns as illegal firearms because some models incorporated a pistol grip into the design of the stock.[6] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.F._Mossberg_%26_Sons#cite_note-6)

With the addition of 116,000 square feet of factory space at the Eagle Pass facility, Mossberg also expanded its Texas workforce to 450 employees.[7] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.F._Mossberg_%26_Sons#cite_note-MIN-7) Today over 90% of all O.F. Mossberg & Sons shotguns and rifles are produced at the Eagle Pass, Texas facility.[SUP][7] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.F._Mossberg_%26_Sons#cite_note-MIN-7)

Last fall Mossberg officials took a handful of gun writers to Mexico primarily to peruse its all-new plant at Torreon, some 200 miles west of the tourist community of Monterey, and also to enjoy a bit of dove hunting with Mossberg's new autoloader (Model 5500 MKII).

The Torreon Mexico plant went into operation in the summer of 1988 and only barrels for Mossberg scatterguns will be manufactured there. Keep in mind, by Mexican law, no firearms can be constructed in Mexico, yet component parts can and for this reason the Torreon facility is at present producing shotgun barrels only. However, we were informed that in the future other parts may be made there as well.

So, for the Mossberg guns, parts – receivers, barrels, and stocks, for example – are produced in North Haven, Conn. and Torreon, Coah., Mexico, then shipped to Eagle Pass for assembly. The Maverick Arms plant also serves as the company’s primary shipping and distribution center.

I'm pretty sure most of the rifle is US made and all US assembled

waksupi
11-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Call me old fashioned, but I don't care for the helix on the bolt body.

Robert

I don't like the helix either. Dirt trap.

Artful
11-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Mossberg is a joke. They won't stand behind their products or warranty. Imo they've Fallin in to the junk category. Buyer beware!!

Do you have specific's?

Mica_Hiebert
11-24-2015, 04:25 PM
Mossberg "Patriot" some "original" marketing... perhaps riding on the coat tails of the Ruger "American" I am all about working guns I have a Mossberg 835 3.5 inch 12 gauge it is a work horse but I just cant take their rifles seriously!

FergusonTO35
11-25-2015, 12:34 AM
Looks like a nice rifle but the "Patriot" name is just hard for me to take seriously, like their previous rifle names of "4X4" and "MVP" should've just used a model number like the 464. The 464 is a very nice rifle for the price, much better than the miserable econo-94's Winchester was turning out.

OnHoPr
11-25-2015, 06:30 AM
I don't like the helix either. Dirt trap.

Yea, sometimes COOL just doesn't get it even if you did come from the '60s.

Looks like a nice rifle but the "Patriot" name is just hard for me to take seriously, like their previous rifle names of "4X4" and "MVP" should've just used a model number like the 464. The 464 is a very nice rifle for the price, much better than the miserable econo-94's Winchester was turning out.

It's the Extreme marketing machine daddyo. Didn't you know that high speed internet from the '90s is still available. Though, if you were going to shoot a lot of rounds in short time many times like in some of those competition shoots the air cooling holes in the stock on the 4X4 might have help with scores.

Oh, and congrats on the fat doe with the Bob.

dolfinwriter
11-25-2015, 07:43 AM

Do you have specific's?

I can counter what freebullet says. I had a Mossberg 802 .22 bolt rifle that would not accept magazines except the one that came with it. I bought it used, but the rifle was practically new. I thought that the problem was with the magazines because they were all marked funny and all relabeled from 803 to 802 or something like that.

I did get frustrated with support and customer service who were unable to help me. So I wrote a letter and copied the CEO, Sales, Support and Marketing. One of their customer support people then called me and gave me an RMA to return the rifle to investigate the problem. Within a couple of weeks they fixed the rifle and gave me five additional magazines to boot.

Does it count that I had to write a letter? I think sometimes you have to just get past the gatekeepers, or the people who are just lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDmfnzr3594

FWIW, I've had this kind of success writing letters to Mossberg, Smith & Wesson for free ammo that didn't come and then I kept geting the run-around, a Bosch power saw whose commutator exploded while trimming a new door for my baby son's bedroom (outside of warranty), and a Linksys Wireless Access Point/Router that failed outside of warranty.

FergusonTO35
11-25-2015, 01:43 PM
Yea, sometimes COOL just doesn't get it even if you did come from the '60s.

It's the Extreme marketing machine daddyo. Didn't you know that high speed internet from the '90s is still available. Though, if you were going to shoot a lot of rounds in short time many times like in some of those competition shoots the air cooling holes in the stock on the 4X4 might have help with scores.

Oh, and congrats on the fat doe with the Bob.

Thanks bro. But, does this mean I'm already unhip at the tender age of 37? :oops:

Perhaps Mossy got the idea for the vented stock from the vent rib that Remington used to hang on the 600 and 660. A stubby carbine with a backwards bolt handle and huge shotgun rib was the perfect compliment to your puffy sweater, ascot, and Ford Grand Torino.:veryconfu

freebullet
11-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Do you have specific's?

I sure do. Here's the short version. I bought 4 msbrg 500 shotguns 3 20ga & 1 410 when several young ladies in my family wanted to hunt. 2 of them needed warranty service. They -Mossberg & maverick arms refused to warranty 1. They said they'd warranty the other but I had to send it on my dime which cost 25% of the gun. When I got it back they had fixed the issue it went in for and had & additional issue that wasn't present before sending. They refused to fix it. They wanted me to pay shipping again. They also wouldn't sell me the parts to fix it myself.

I wrote them an email about my experience. I informed them not taking care of folks that buy multiple products from them at the same time is probably a bad plan. I never heard back from them at all. I fixed them myself and sold the 410. I still have 4 msbrg shotguns & won't EVER buy another new. That built broken 410 cost a young lady dear to me her first pheasant and a couple turkey. You wanna know where I reccomend Mossberg put that gun?

A friend bought his son a Mossberg 243 bolt gun & the saftey was malfunctioning right out of the box. His experience mirrored mine. Mossberg is bunk junk if you need service or parts. I welded, ground down, & reblued the offending parts.

Because I really like the thumb saftey my next will be the browning bps. Maybe I'll have better luck with them.

OnHoPr
11-26-2015, 04:27 PM
37! Well, that just means you are still a whippersnapper.[smilie=s:

I must be from the '50s those 600s were pretty cool when they came out. Actually I sorta liked them for the style of hunting I did back then. They are a light fast handling bolt action. I think the Model 7 replaced their style of a lightweight compact bolt gun. Chambered in the 6.5 Rem Mag and 120 gr bullets at max they were pretty decent for deer hunting the big woods hardwoods hills where you walked back in a 1 1/2 miles before you started hunting and could have shots from 50 yds to 450 yds. And in the 350 Rem Mag they were pretty nice for the hilly mountain timber for elk, bear, and moose.