PDA

View Full Version : anyone here shoot GSSF Glock shooting sports foundation matches?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-19-2015, 11:01 AM
I just jumped into the world O Glock with a recent G17 Gen 4 purchase I haven't even picked it up yet the dealer had to order it for me , the matches look interesting , not to difficult but a good place to start with matches outside of my own clubs matches , the price of entry isn't to bad , well once you already own a Glock pistol.

I don't see anything prohibiting 2 people from sharing a pistol in what I have read but I was thinking my son would probably like to shoot a GSSF match also and needing a Glock to play and only having one at this time sharing would be necessary.

the match I am looking at is Oct 3-4 west of Milwaukee about an 90 minute drive for us so not to bad.

garym1a2
06-19-2015, 12:09 PM
No problem at these matches sharing guns. You can have plenty of time between shooters. For Glock GSSF matches its best to keep the gun stock.

I just jumped into the world O Glock with a recent G17 Gen 4 purchase I haven't even picked it up yet the dealer had to order it for me , the matches look interesting , not to difficult but a good place to start with matches outside of my own clubs matches , the price of entry isn't to bad , well once you already own a Glock pistol.

I don't see anything prohibiting 2 people from sharing a pistol in what I have read but I was thinking my son would probably like to shoot a GSSF match also and needing a Glock to play and only having one at this time sharing would be necessary.

the match I am looking at is Oct 3-4 west of Milwaukee about an 90 minute drive for us so not to bad.

motorcycle_dan
06-19-2015, 02:36 PM
My main game is conventional NRA precision pistol (bullseye) But our local shooting range holds leagues for both NRA precision and CCW action. One fairly talented shooter kept pushing me to try the action match. They use Bianchi tombstone targets at varying ranges. So I signed up and shot one series with an old Gen 1 Glock 17L. Didn't shoot awful but that 17L was pulled from night stand duty just for the match. It goes bang EVERY time you operate the trigger. Accuracy ~ not so much. A fellow bullseye competitor keeps say'n I got to try out his G41. I say "Don't like glocks, Like 1911's" He won't let it go and says here, shoot a practice round with it. Loaner gun and loaner ammo, My first clean glock match Shot a 500 with 20 something x's. X count was low because I did not know where to aim at distance and shot a tight group but all shots were above the X in the 10 ring. Hmmmm, this .45ACP Glock is making me feel good. I used the GSSF discount to purchase a blue tag G21, and the same week found a 41 that followed me home. (Good thing I don't like Glocks cuz I'd have a bunch of 'em) My previous experience with Glocks was all 9mm, The 17, 17L and G34 (took the 34 to the Bianchi cup in 2010) (had my butt handed to me by some of the best shooters on the planet) So,,,,,, Having been properly schooled in the advantages of big bore, they shoot more accurate. Like fast light bullets such as 185 JHP and nearly as accurate as my precious 1911's. To me, the felt recoil of the .45 is considerably less than the recoil of a 9mm. And the .45 is way more accurate at distance. So Join the GSSF, use the discount to get you BIG discount on a G21.
Since actually purchasing my own G41, I have cleaned another match 500-41x, I thought Yeeee Haaaaa, beat that silly action pistol shooter. He did. 500-43X (bastid) There is always next match.

willie_pete
06-19-2015, 07:24 PM
I shoot 4 or 5 a year here in Florida. A real simple match. Definitely keep the gun stock.

wp

Russel Nash
06-19-2015, 10:21 PM
There are people who basically shoot GSSF professionally. One guy I used to shoot USPSA matches wins, supposedly, abou $10,000 worth of Glocks from the GSSF matches per year.

trooperdan
06-19-2015, 10:47 PM
There are really two types of GSSF events, an outdoor and an indoor. Their courses of fire are not at all similar but both are fun and you will meet a bunch of very nice and helpful guys. The prize stucture for the outdoor matches are very generous and you may win a pistol just through a random draw. You can enter several categories using the same pistol and same course of fire. It is very helpful to have four magazines for the outdoor course as you'll need four mags for the plate stage.