PDA

View Full Version : I Caught It

lightman
06-19-2015, 08:10 AM
A pesky Raccoon that is! Something has been robbing the bird feeders and tearing them down. Especially the ones with sugar water and jelly. So, I set my Have-A-Hart trap night before last and baited it with a little tuna fish. Whatever I caught tore a hole in the side of my trap and escaped, but he left a little fur on one of the rough edges. Well I patched the hole with a piece of hardware cloth and tried it again. About 1:00 the Cat woke us up running from window to window, looking outside. I went out to check and the bandit was in the trap again. So, he got relocated and the birds are happy again. I really did not want to get up and work out this morning! I think I see an afternoon nap in my day!

dilly
06-19-2015, 08:18 AM
How far did you relocate it?

mold maker
06-19-2015, 08:59 AM
Last time I had that problem I relocated it about 2' deep. Mr. Bandit won't be a second offender.
Last week there was a rabid Coon caught in the County. No telling how many pets I might have saved.

lightman
06-19-2015, 09:03 AM
How far did you relocate it?

About 5 miles. If he finds his way back I'll recycle him next time I catch him!

country gent
06-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Check yopur game laws and with the game warden. In most states "relocating " a wild animal is illegal, this is due to the chance of spreading diseases much faster than normal. what would be 3-5 miles in a week or so becomes 10-20 ( distance most take them) in a day. Game warden told old Dad here when he traps them in the garden or buildings to just simply shoot, shovel, and shut up. The faster spreading of diseases and new parasites is a real issue

BrassMagnet
06-19-2015, 09:15 AM
About 5 miles. If he finds his way back I'll recycle him next time I catch him!

Plan on it!
Plan on it being harder this time around. They learn about traps quick!
There are better live traps than Have-a-heart. I used one on a feral tomcat and he forced his way out. I bought a different brand and it was secure.
If Mr Tomcat had been willing to be adopted, we could have worked out our differences. He wanted to eat me, so off to cat rescue he went.

lightman
06-19-2015, 10:33 AM
I admit that I never considered checking game laws. I live in town, but 50ft out my back door is out of town. This guy came out of the corn field and I just hauled him down the road a ways. I hated to shoot it just for doing what is natural, but next time we will see.

This old trap belonged to my Dad, and is probably about my age. What trap do you like better than a Have-a Hart? This one has been tore up more than once!

MaryB
06-19-2015, 10:37 PM
I catch them they die and are fertilizer in the field out back! I have a deer raiding the garden to deal with now...

BrassMagnet
06-20-2015, 10:03 AM
I believe the trap I have is made by Duke.
Here is a link to one by Duke suitable for raccoons:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/duke-traps-heavy-duty-large-raccoon-and-fox-trap-1114-p-9910.html?gclid=CK_gjue3nsYCFQtqfgodmoENPw

lightman
06-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Ok, Thanks. My old trap has seen better days!

country gent
06-20-2015, 09:05 PM
We ussed to make box traps with fence wire. ( I believe the mesh was 1" X 2" rectangular) bend a box from it roughly 2' long big enough for thr critters you want to catch. We normally made them 6-8" square for muskrats. We had a 2x3 frame made to bend around for the box. Leave an extra square of fence to wrap tie box together by twisting the wires around the other fence side. This makes a box 8" X 2 ' long. cut 2 pieces of fence 7" wide and 10" longtie wrap to out side edge of box so door hangs down to bottom at an angle do this on each end. We made these up for squirells / chipmunks, muskrats. and other small game. Worked very good. For many years it about all we used trapping.

Plate plinker
06-20-2015, 09:06 PM
I would start the excavation now it is very likely that bugger will be back.

Bad Water Bill
06-21-2015, 02:21 AM
From many folks that trap and remove them from your nice comfey home.

If you drop them off less than 25 miles from the trap site they WILL be back in less than 10 days reclaiming THEIR home.

Remove trap to garage and close door.

Pump up air rifle and deliver one pointy pellet to the brain cage.

Best answer S S S.:bigsmyl2:

762 shooter
06-21-2015, 06:43 AM
When he returns, bait your trap and lock it open so it won't trip. Feed him for several days and then set it to trip.

I've caught some pretty sneaky coons and cats that way.

oldarkie
06-21-2015, 09:26 AM
I"ve trapped 7 off of my back deck this spring that won"t be coming back home . Did you take him over to Clear lake? I was told gators where in there when I was a kid. At least he won"t have to walk up hill to get back home. You could spray paint there backs to see if you catch them again.Good luck . Oldarkie

lightman
06-21-2015, 09:35 AM
No, I live on the other side of town. He went towards Coy.