PDA

View Full Version : Lead-free in a round ball gun?

dualsport
06-18-2015, 09:16 PM
I'd like to use one of my traditional muzzle loaders in an upcoming hunt that requires totally un-leaded projectiles. Twist is 66" and a 48". Thanks. Somebody over on the other sight suggested zinc, another said try RotoMetals unleaded alloy. Any experience, any one?

fishhawk
06-18-2015, 09:17 PM
lead free solder works.

Beagle333
06-18-2015, 09:21 PM
I haven't tried it, but I don't know why you couldn't shoot lead-free solder or tin balls just fine. They sure would be shiny! :grin:

country gent
06-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Bismuth has been used as a lead shot substitute not sure how wieght would end up witht he projectile though. Lead free solder should also work and cast well. Zinc would be light and possibly on the to hard side also.Maybe pewter could be used. Silver or gold would make some good balls.

Mr Peabody
06-18-2015, 09:38 PM
Bismuth has been used as a lead shot substitute not sure how wieght would end up witht he projectile though. Lead free solder should also work and cast well. Zinc would be light and possibly on the to hard side also.Maybe pewter could be used. Silver or gold would make some good balls.
Use the silver, might be were wolves around.

bangerjim
06-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Bi, Sn, Zn. All will work. All have different weights.....all different than the pure Pb you are used to. All cost a bunch more than the Pb you are used to (except Zn which we all hate!) All will cast RB's easily.

banger

rodwha
06-18-2015, 11:09 PM
There's a fellow on a traditional forum who tried brass balls and they did quite well actually.

There's also a company that sells some sort of non lead balls for muzzleloading.

Are you looking to cast or buy?

dualsport
06-19-2015, 10:42 AM
This will probably be a one time deal so buying is a good option.

Maven
06-19-2015, 11:26 AM
That fellow was "roundball." Search for those posts here: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php Btw, rodwha is right, roundball's tests were impressive + the brass balls were reusable.

lobogunleather
06-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Played with zinc alloy known as Zamac years ago, casting pistols bullets in 9mm, .38, and .45. Very hard, will shoot through wood planks without deforming. Weight ran right at 60% of what would be expected in lead alloys.

In a muzzleloader I think the challenge would be in finding the right patch material. None of these harder metals will deform on firing like lead so patch fit and strength would likely be critical.

drago9900
06-20-2015, 08:40 PM
You may want to check to see if there is a specific list of approved choices.

hithard
06-21-2015, 05:37 PM
These hunts do not require you to use traditional patched round ball, so why not go with a sabot and bullet..

I have wondered though what are ill-ustreous leaders have thought about when they started down this road of no lead and having traditional hunts....oh but wait....that would have required thought....

If I had more money it would be fun to take this one to court....

rfd
06-25-2015, 06:37 PM
though it won't allow near the accurate distance of a rifle, this is where a smoothbore is more versatile as most anything can be shot out of one, either as a projectile or shot.

OverMax
06-26-2015, 06:03 PM
If your wanting a (packaged) non-lead ball. Take a look-see at the (link) site I've enclosed.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Roundballs/products/704/ (http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Roundballs/products/704/)

Whiterabbit
06-30-2015, 01:14 PM
I was not able to reproduce good results with a brass roundball. Next step is to etch the balls so they are rough and hope they will grip the patch better. But never really got around to it.

And now that I have a caplock, will probably abandon the brass project for now. Bought some ITX balls for the caplock. Might try lead free solder. I don't know what DFG will say when I hold up tin balls and tell him it is lead free.

ultimately I will do whatever as long as accuracy is there.