PDA

View Full Version : Heritage 22

tward
06-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Picked up a Heritage Rough Rider in 22lr with 6.5" bbl. read a lot of pros and cons then saw they were on sale at Dicks for $129. At the range I tried CCI std and they were about 8" low and to the right at 50'. I switched to Federal bulk hp's and they were 2" low and about 2" right. I can live with a holdover correction like that. Put about 250 rounds thru it with no malfunctions. The grip frame did loosen up a bit and was racking but a few minutes with a screwdriver tightened it up, I'll see if they hold or will need loctight. So far I'm happy with it as a plinker and knock around fun gun.
Tim:bigsmyl2:

AtomHeartMother
06-18-2015, 06:16 PM
That's a good price. I've got one with the laminated grips. Fortunately my windage was right on the money. I just had to file down my front sight a good bit for elevation. It's a little gem to shoot and quite accurate. Mine will lead like crazy with thunderbolts, but doesn't everything lead with thunderbolts? Lol... I haven't really noticed point of impact changes with with different brands of ammo to be honest, but the most accurate I ask for is minute of pop can at 25 yards. If you're up for a little tweaking of that front sight blade it'll hit where ever you point it.

bedbugbilly
06-19-2015, 09:59 AM
I bough one a few years ago - mine is a 4 3/4". My primary reason for getting it is that I didn't want to put the "mileage" on my vintage Super Bearcat which is like new. As it turns out, my wife likes the Bearcat so I consider it "her gun". I wanted a "knock about" 22 for on the farm for critters, plinking, etc. No, it's not a Ruger or a Colt but I think it is a great value and mine shoots well. I prefer SA revolvers and the Heritage fits my needs perfectly. A lot of people turn their nose up at 'em but I'd have no problem buying another one. I never had kids but one would be a great tool to teach a youngster how to shoot revolver and gun safety, etc. I haven't shot mine in a couple of years due to the ammo shortage but it offers the opportunity to shoot a variety of ammo - shorts, longs, LR etc. The last time I shot it I put a box of Remington shorts through it that I still had from when I was a kid in the early '60s.

I have read posts by fellows who have the 6 1/2" barrel model who love it for squirrel hunting. The Heritage is like any handgun - if you take care of it and don't abuse it, it will last many, many years. As much as I liked the small Super Bearcat that I have (and my wife WILL let me use it if I ask pretty) I like the little bit larger size of the Heritage. Some folks have a "bug" about the "safety" on it but it's not like you "have" to use it. I was taught revolver shooting on a SAA when I was a kid by an older gentleman who drilled "safety" into my head and always carried on an empty chamber.. Not really necessary on the Heritage (or others with hammer blocks) but I still find myself doing it - old habits are hard to break! :-)

Enjoy your new wheelgun! You are going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it!

Big Rack
06-20-2015, 10:07 AM
I think they are pretty good beat around gun I used one and a Henry in indoor cowboy shooting. It was sponsered by Chiappa Arms (I think) and we had to also use their Plinkerton 22 the alloy cylinder wasn't bad but the alloy ratchet is what led me to the Heritage.

Skunk1
06-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Like mine also. Bought mine quite a few years ago. They were cheap then and are cheap now. Bother in law just bought one with the laminated grips (mine are standard) not much change over the years and both shoot great with no problems. The thunderbolts do lead bad so I've been trying to stick with something plated.

tward
06-23-2015, 07:04 AM
Well I went to the range Friday and first shot the ejecter housing, rod and spring went down range. Went home and got the lock tite. Then got the bright idea to glue a piece of aluminum to the right side of the front sight to correct windage, too much the first time ( 6" left) so will try a thinner piece today! Tim :bigsmyl2:

tward
06-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Just got back from the range and I got the Heritage Rough Rider pretty well regulated. Thin piece of aluminum superglued to the right side of the front sight a little bit of filing to lower the front sight and a black Sharpie. Aluminum was .030 thick142736142736thanks for all the encouragement and help. Tim