PDA

View Full Version : Bullet lube sticks for the Magma / Star sizers?

novalty
06-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Are there any vendors besides Magma Engineering that are making 6" solid sticks for their sizer? Or is it best just to buy by the pound and make own sticks using homemade PVC molds?

Spruce
06-18-2015, 12:12 PM
I think you will find most sellers sell lube both ways, solid or hollow. Try venders on here such as LARS, and RANDYRAT. If you have some hollow, you could probably melt it and pour it in, using caution so as not to run out holes.

novalty
06-18-2015, 12:44 PM
I have ordered from Randy before and have had good luck with his TAC1. His tubes are 4", and the Star takes 6" sticks. Not sure if Lars offers his in 6" sticks--his only store does state 1"x4" tubes. So I am wondering if it would be best to just order by the pound and make my own sticks with a PVC mold. I would prefer not to pour directly into the sizer.

shultz
06-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Novalty,

I don't have the sizer your using but will sticks linked below work? they are 2"x6" not sure if the 2" dia will work for your application.
http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&zenid=8dfcf14ee58453145df461bb1ea5318a

clum553946
06-18-2015, 03:46 PM
Star takes 1"x 6" I wonder if the 2500+ or BAC solid tubes from White Label Lube would work?

novalty
06-18-2015, 04:12 PM
I would believe they would work, but was just thinking it would be more efficient to use a solid stick that was closer to the 6" that can fit in the reservoir--in stead of just a 4" stick. I know Magma offers them in 6", but figure I'd check to see what other Star owners are doing.

Beagle333
06-18-2015, 04:26 PM
Use a hot knife and cut Randy's solid sticks in half and add the 2" section to the 4" stick when refilling. 8-)

novalty
06-18-2015, 05:32 PM
Use a hot knife and cut Randy's solid sticks in half and add the 2" section to the 4" stick when refilling. 8-)

Well that makes a lot more sense than fooling around with melting a reforming. Hoping the hollow-tube sticks of TAC1 that I have now won't have air pocket issues. Might have to melt 1 down and fill the centers.

blikseme300
06-18-2015, 06:14 PM
I use lube from Randy and White Label in my Star's. I pour melted lube to fill to just below the hole. I don't use sticks as air pockets are a nuisance. Do be careful not to overfill as you will have a mess and if too much lube is added the piston assembly can't be screwed back in. I insert a tooth pick in the hole and using a small flash light I can see the level of the molten lube while pouring it in.

runfiverun
06-18-2015, 08:50 PM
the 1x4 work just fine.
just fill the tube 200 boolits sooner.

you can use any lube you want I just melt whatever lube and pour into a cookie sheet [small] then cut into strips thin enough to push into the tube.
the cylinder pushes the excess air out.

clum553946
06-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Ordered some White Label 2500+ in solid tubes, gonna cram them in there & give it a shot!

CPL Lou
06-19-2015, 09:47 PM
I've used 2500+ in my Star and I can attest to them working just fine !
My favorite lube in both 30-30 and 45-70.
BAC also flows nicely in my Star.

CPL Lou

country gent
06-19-2015, 10:20 PM
A coupl;e 2X8 s with 4 dowels 2 in corners and 2 spaced down center with a couple bolt holes ( c-clamps cound be used also). Drill 1" holes 6: deep (dont break thru bottom edge) this makes the mould or form. A 1" dowel sanded down slightly around .030 on dia for a mandrel and a roll of wax paper cut strips 8" wide then to length to put 2 wraps around mandrel. Wrap around mandrell and fold end over a little tape will hold it and side seam. Make a bunch of these. Push closed end down into mould tight to bottom in each cavity, and fill to 6" A mark in the cacity or a bent wire will show this. Allow to cool and open mould remove and fold tape open end. Depending on length of 2 X 8s legth you could make 6-8 or more sticks at a time easily. Stack 3 boards together and this would become 12-16 sticks a pour. Use a forester bit and you get a ice flat bottomed hole in the mould. The wax paper form fits nicely into and is solidly supported. The wax paper form keeps the lube from adhereing to the mould surfaces. Onece final end is folded and taped they are sealed well for storage.

cajun shooter
06-20-2015, 08:12 AM
I've always used the store brand cheap spray lube for cooking when pouring my lube sticks in the molds of PVC. Just spray them with a good coating on the inside and pour away. It's fast, easy, and cheap. If you have plenty of extra funds then the top brand of Pam gives them a great taste. Later David