PDA

View Full Version : Leverrevolution & Superformance powders for 45/70 & 44 mag?

highnoon
06-17-2015, 10:46 PM
Hodgdon does not list load data for these two powders for 45/70 or 44mag, but Hornady makes loads for both with it. Accurate and fast in my Marlin 1895GS and Ruger 77/44. I am wondering if anyone has experimented with either of these powders in either of these calibers. I am looking to shoot 300 and 405 grain bullets in the 45/70 and 240 to 300 grain in the 44 mag. Any recommendations would be helpful.

I have been using Unique in both with good results in the 45/70, but so-so results in the 44 mag. I am having trouble getting the velocities up and maintaining accuracy. I suspect that Unique is just too fast burning for these heavier bullets.

I understand IMR 4198 and H-110 are both good powders for my needs, but I'm having trouble getting my hands on either. The Superformance and Leverrevolution powders are both readily available, hence my request.

Thanks in advance for your help.

wrench man
06-18-2015, 12:48 AM
They don't list data for them because they are to slow for either of those cartridges.

highnoon
06-18-2015, 08:29 AM
So is this not the same powder Hornady puts in their Leverrevolution 45/70 and 44 mag cartridges? I get great results with this factory ammo in both guns and it is plenty fast and accurate.

BwBrown
06-18-2015, 11:50 AM
I believe that "leverrevolution" is more of a brand name (i.e. Remingon's Kleenbore), not necessarily the identity of the powder or projectile. It it confusing though. While I've sent some or Hornady's Leverstuff stuff downrange (mostly to get the 450 Marlin brass which is pretty scarce at times) I've yet to play with the powder by that name.

Djones
06-22-2015, 05:47 AM
For more velocity in your 44 mag rifle, try lil gun or 4227. 4227 has been on the shelf in decent quantities for awhile.

Save leverevolution for 30-30, 32 spec, 35 Remington and the like.

ohland
06-22-2015, 09:31 AM
"leverrevolution" is more of a brand name (i.e. Remingon's Kleenbore)

BUT.. it seems to be particular to the bullet weight / case volume that it is loaded for. From when I idly looked into it, some combinations, LE powder gains 100fps or a little more, but for a lot of combinations, it is no better or worse than others.

"Superformance delivers striking velocities in cartridges like the 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester and 300 Winchester Short Magnum. Velocities well in excess of 100 fps over the best published handloads and even larger gains over factory ammunition! Because this propellant is tailored for specific applications, the number of cartridges and bullets is limited, but where it works, it really works!"

""Can I buy the powder used in Hornady LEVERevolution factory ammunition?" Yes, this is the same spherical propellant used in Hornady's innovative and award winning high performance factory ammunition. This fabulous propellant meters flawlessly and makes lever action cartridges like the 30-30 Winchester yield velocities in excess of 100 fps over any published handloads, with even greater gains over factory ammunition. Other cartridges include the 35 Remington, 308 Marlin Express, 338 Marlin Express and the 25-35 Winchester. The list of cartridges and bullets is limited with this highly specialized powder, but where it works, it really works!"

NSB
06-22-2015, 10:25 AM
LeveRevolution is Hornady's branded ammo, not to be confused with the powder. They should think of different names to avoid this type of confusion. You state that Horndady uses it in the ammo.....you need to state the source of that info rather than just state it to be true. Where did you get that info? Provide a link to back it up. At this point it's probably erroneous information.

mr surveyor
06-22-2015, 12:43 PM
LeveRevolution is Hornady's branded ammo, not to be confused with the powder. They should think of different names to avoid this type of confusion. You state that Horndady uses it in the ammo.....you need to state the source of that info rather than just state it to be true. Where did you get that info? Provide a link to back it up. At this point it's probably erroneous information.

not taking sides here, but you may want to check this link ....

http://www.hodgdon.com/rifle.html

jd

NSB
06-22-2015, 02:40 PM
not taking sides here, but you may want to check this link ....

http://www.hodgdon.com/rifle.html

jd
Adding a link to any loading info as the OP has not done is a good idea. If you go to the Hodgdon site and look at all the 45-70 loads, there are no loads listed using LeveRevolution powder for any pressure level 45-70. NONE.

TXGunNut
06-27-2015, 11:53 PM
They don't use LVR powder in 45-70 LVR ammo.

highnoon
06-29-2015, 09:20 PM
It was my assumption that this is the same powder used in the factory LeverRevolution loads for 44 mag and 45/70 since the names and artwork are the same. Hornady LeverRevolution factory ammo does in fact work quite nicely in my 44 mag and 45/70 guns. It appears this is not the same powder, but this is quite confusing on Hornady's part.