PDA

View Full Version : Weaver Base Screw Size

LazyJW
03-22-2008, 11:40 PM
I plan to put a Weaver base on an old 32 cal CVA Squirrel Rifle to mount a long eye relief scope (Old Timers Disease). Purchased the base complete with screws, dunno what tap and drill to buy. Screws measure about .160" across the threads.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

rmb721
03-22-2008, 11:58 PM
6x48 tap and #31 drill

LazyJW
03-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Thanks,
I figured it was either a #6 or #8 but got lost trying to Google it :confused:
Joe

Lumpie
03-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Thanks,
I figured it was either a #6 or #8 but got lost trying to Google it :confused:
JoeI have rifles built, and the first thing that I tell the smith, is to drill, and tap #8. Them sixes is for wristwatches. I you have not drilled yet, just send me a pm. and I will send you a drill, and a tap, and some screws to do the job with. If you can drill, and tap, then you can open up the bases to use a #8 Screw. Its just that simple!Carl

scb
03-23-2008, 12:27 PM
#6 screw .138 major (outside) diameter
#8 screw .164 major diameter

http://academic.evergreen.edu/projects/biophysics/technotes/fabric/number.htm

LazyJW
03-23-2008, 12:50 PM
#6 screw .138 major (outside) diameter
#8 screw .164 major diameter

http://academic.evergreen.edu/projects/biophysics/technotes/fabric/number.htm

Ahhh..... so it looks like I already have #8's then. Thanks for the link.

This rifle recoils about like a 22 Mag; not too heavy. It has probably less than 100 rounds through it and if it gets another 100 rounds in my lifetime that will be about it. I haven't messed with it in years but got it out a while back and want to use it for a pest gun around the farmstead. 60 yards to the edge of the clearing from the house, maybe another 10 yards visible into the trees. I don't want a 22 Mag because the bullets can travel too far but the BC of a .311 round ball is almost like using a shotgun.

I considered a scoped turkey-type shotgun but already own this. A 32 H&R Mag in a Handi-Rifle shooting round balls would probably work too, but again, I already own this. It should be fun seeing what it will do.
Joe

scb
03-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Your most welcome. BTW, MOST #8 scope mount screws are 40 tpi, Steve.

Dale53
03-23-2008, 10:13 PM
I was tasked by a couple or three friends (back in the day) to scope ALL of our S&W .44 mags. I was even pointed to a precision machine shop to do the work. I had seen an early Bill Wilson installation (pictures only) using Kimber quick detachable rings and blocks. The scope was mounted between the sights.

I bought several Kimber blank rails for their rings. I had the shop mill short bases at my direction. I specified 8x40 screws and actually furnished the drill and tap to the shop. To make a long story short, all of the revolvers were finished perfectly (the shop knew NOTHING about guns but were first rate at taking directions and I was SPECIFIC with a capital "S"[smilie=1:). It has been many, many years and all of the revolvers have the original installation without a single problem with several thousand full power rounds down the tubes. 6/48's should have NEVER become the scope standard. Eights have twice the sheer strength of sixes.

Dale53

LazyJW
04-01-2008, 09:33 PM
The tap & drill are in the mail (along with a few other goodies from Midway)
Joe

LazyJW
04-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Just got done drilling and tapping the scope mount holes, all went well. I am now the proud possessor of a genuine Scout/Squirrel Rifle (or is that Squirrelly Scout Rifle) ? :-D

Haven't shot it yet but will report on the results when I do.
Joe