PDA

View Full Version : Found some new ingot moulds at Wally World

Buckshot
10-05-2005, 04:35 PM
.........Having been married lo these past 30 years (come December), I know the signals. If Donna sticks her head in the garage and says, "I'm going to so and so" that means it's okay for me to NOT go. If on the other hand she says, "I'm going to 'someplace', and would you like to go?" that means I am supposed to go with her.

I heartily dislike the place and would only go there to buy Win Dynapoint 22RF ammo. So anyway there I am, schlepping along behind her trying to not get bashed into by someone's cart, while they're trying to control 3-4 kids, or run into someone who has stopped, dazzled by something on a shelf, right there in the middle of the isle.

While stopped for some minor traffic congestion I glance around and lo and behold my eyeballs land on this display of cooking stuff.

http://www.fototime.com/432F142B09E587B/standard.jpg
Mini-loaf pans. I thought these things looked really great, so I was fighting to seperate 2 out of the nested stack ($5.93 ea). Donna says, "Ingots?"

Bless her heart, she just KNEW I wasn't going to be baking. While these are just a tad larger then perfection, perfection is rarely found at Wally World but I figured they'd do. I think they'll prolly drop a 3.5 to 4 lb block. Since I got two of'em and they will cast 8 apiece I can just fill each cavity only half full and that should be just fine.

I won't discard my round muffin tins, but these will stack better, and being more square will utilize space in the containers I store them in.

..............Buckshot

RugerFan
10-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Those really look like the ticket. I've used a round muffin tin for years, but really don't like round ingots. I may have to make a trip to Wally's.

waksupi
10-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Buckshot, I know what you mean about those people who are easily dazzled by bright shiney things. Why is it, when a woman goes through the door of a store, they will come to a dead stop, creating a massive crash of people behind them? Can't they step to the side, out of the traffic flow? They are most likely the same one poking down the middle of an aisle with a shopping cart, blocking all passage to others. Why, oh WHY, do they do this!!!????? Brainless, or rude? You chose.

No_1
10-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey Buckshot. I had the same idea too. The little round muffins worked great so I thought that bigger was better for stacking and mixing so I found a pretty nice bread pan too!
So I cast a few "bricks" and decide they are a lot easier to stack but are kinda heavy...
Then realize they don't fit the old lee bottom pour to well anymore cause they are kinda big....

Must be the pan size! Maybe I should downsize a little.

Robert

Willbird
10-05-2005, 07:10 PM
My wife thought they would be great, I tried them but they came apart within a few uses, the lead soldered itself to the coating inside them, they made nice ingots til they died tho :-)

Bill

wills
10-05-2005, 07:13 PM
I have been looking at the miniature bread pans for a long time, wondering how they would work as ingot molds. I tried the Wal*Mart® muffin pans and could not get the ingots out. Let us know how they work.

David R
10-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Leave all muffin or bread pans out in the rain a few days, they will rust and the ingots will fall out. I ruined a 12 muffin pan on the first use because I forgot to let it rust.

David

wills
10-05-2005, 09:50 PM
What's rain?

Urny
10-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Leave them out in the rain for a few days? That might take ten years here.
I had the same experience as others with the lead soldering itself to the coated pans, but found they make great bees wax loaves.

Frank46
10-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Buckshot, in order to keep the peace do not under any circumstances even consider using tupperware from the wife's inner sanctum (aka the kitchen). I have been relegated to using rubber maid tubs for my cases, boolits and other stuff. Funny thing though, my rubber maid stuff is in better shape and way older than some of her tupperware. Frank

Ed Barrett
10-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Buy your wife new tupperware or other containers and you take the old ones. I don't do that I use the plastic containers/tubs that margerine, cottage cheese and yogert come in. I used to use the Danish cookie tins too, but the doctor stopped that.

Frank46
10-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Ed, tupperware on occasion does take back and replace old and damaged tupperware.
My wife swapped out some old items. Yeah and I love the danish cookies too. Frank

fourarmed
10-07-2005, 11:49 AM
I have used the bakery pans that No. 1 showed. By propping up one end of the pan, you can make triangular ingots in the "corners". They don't stack very well, but they do fit into the pot.

Wayne Smith
10-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Wills & Ury

If it don't rain, do it the old way. Piss on it!

Gussy
10-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Ingots too big???? Hell, you don't need smaller ingots.... You NEED a bigger pot. Never have had the problem with the turkey frier and 50 lb pot.
Gus

The Nyack Kid
10-07-2005, 03:53 PM
"rain" is alot like "snow" only wetter.
rain is the reason why im only working 2.5 days a week . we are logging on the north side of Big Mountain ,one of the wettest places in the entire state . I had thought for sure my camp trailer and logging equiment had floated away over the weekend. Instead everything had sunk out of sight in the mud . at least there is no fire danger , i much prefere cold and wet vs hot and dry

beagle
10-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Rick....I've been looking at them for a long time and wondering if they'd hold up. Looks like they're just the right size for my use. These Lyman moulds are just too darn dinky to work with. Takes a couple dozen to make a pot full.

I'd really like to have a 100 ounce mould like they make silver ingots with but I haven't ever found one.

We have a kind of unique bread mould made loacally here in KY I guess as I've never seen then anywhere else. Makes a 3/4 round stick about 8-10" long. I use one for an ingot mould and it works all right but I'd prefer something larger. Casts about 10 saticks as well as I recall.

Let us know how they turn out and i'll jump on the bandwagon if they do okay./beagle

Headstamp
10-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Ed, tupperware on occasion does take back and replace old and damaged tupperware.
My wife swapped out some old items. Yeah and I love the danish cookies too. Frank

I've had pretty good luck with the rectangular shaped "Gladware" type throw away plastic containers for storing bullets and cases, etc.

1Shirt
10-09-2005, 06:08 PM
They used to make, and probably still do make, but haven't seen for a long time, cast iron corn bread muffin molds that look like corn cobs. Think they would probably cast about a 3- 3 1/2 lb. or so. Like a lot of others, am tired of the round muffin tin, and mine is all bent up anywho. If I run into one of the old corn cob types in cast iron at a garage sale think I will pick it up and give it a try.
1Shirt

Junior1942
10-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Here's the cornbread pan--$7.99.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004S9I6/qid=1128896472/br=1-5/ref=cl_tr_br_cl//104-9123288-0844762?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=10207881

porkchop bob
10-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Search eBay for cast iron muffin pan. I have several Griswold #10 Cast Iron Muffin Pans and they work fine.
Bob

Shepherd2
10-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Around this part of the country Griswold cast iron skillets, muffin pans etc. are collectors items that people pay a premium for. Don't ask me why. I often see Griswold items listed in the bill of sale for auctions. Might be too expensive for ingot moulds.

I use 4 Lyman ingot moulds that I bought back when they could be purchased new for $1.00. I've had them for awhile.

1Shirt
10-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks Junior, Will order asap.
1Shirt

wills
10-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Lodge seems plenitiful

http://www.lodgemfg.com/

HTRN
10-11-2005, 04:31 AM
Buckshot, don't feel too bad about going to "the evil commie megastore", you got something that will help defend freedom, if only by gesture!

I can honestly admit, that I've only ever bought two things in that place - a pair of three packs of loaf pans for ingot molds(casts about an 8 pound ingot) and a videogame dohickey for the nephew of a woman who's pants I was trying to get into(and still am!) As you can see, there were extenuating circumstances in both situations, so I can be forgiven on both counts. :mrgreen:

Have a looksee:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTRN/Pouringlead.jpg
You can clearly see the loaf pans and get an idea of the size.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTRN/leadbrick.jpg
This should give you an idea of the size of the ingots.

HTRN

Buckshot
10-13-2005, 12:51 AM
..........HTRN, boy those are pretty good sized ingots! I like to cast ones of a size I can pre-heat on the rim of the lead pot, then tip'em off into it while still being able to cast and not have the pot go solid. Course if you have a big enough pot.............

Hey dude, you prolly should check the air in that right rear tar :D Looks a mite casual.

................Buckshot

HTRN
10-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Yah, they're big ingots, but with what I have planned, They're about the right size.. ;-)

As for the tire, that car hasn't been moved in a while and the valve stem is shot - it won't hold air for more than a day or two.

HTRN

wills
10-13-2005, 09:00 PM
http://www.ray-vin.com/casting/ingotmold/ingotmold.pdf

wills
10-13-2005, 09:02 PM
a woman who's pants I was trying to get into(and still am!) As you can see, there were extenuating circumstances in both situations, so I can be forgiven on both counts. :mrgreen:

HTRN

Diet & exercise

HTRN
10-14-2005, 01:10 AM
hahahahahaha! Very funny! :roll:

She recently asked me to fix her sister's vacuum cleaner - I called her every day for almost a week to arrange a time to do it, and she still hasn't called me back...http://www.iz-grafix.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/blue_icons/icon_frown.gif

Yes, I am that stupid.

HTRN

yammerschooner
10-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Here is what I am putting on my christmas list.

http://www.do-itmolds.com/products/specialpurposemolds.php?UID=2005101919521812.216.8 2.25&category=strap_decoy_anchor_-_ingot_mold

Yes, it costs quite a bit more than the .59 aluminum muffin tins I pick up at the local thrift stores, but I also like to duck hunt (although I haven't taken much time lately). I figure it will work great for both hobbies.

HTRN
10-21-2005, 01:17 PM
There was one just on Ebay last week.

I would suggest keeping an eye out for another.

HTRN

wills
04-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Buckshot

How are those things working? Do the ingots stick?

Buckshot
04-28-2006, 01:54 AM
................Wills, how do they work? What, you think I have time to render down wild wheel weights into domesticated ingots :-)? They're still lying out behind the garage. As to the question of sticking, they shouldn't. They're exactly like the other round muffin pans I'd bought previously. I don't anticipate any issues.

...................Buckshot

MGySgt
04-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Buckshot - I have been using the same pan for about 900 lbs. So far so good. I bought 5 of then and I am only using 2 right now (the other 3 are for spares if I do something stupid and damage one).

I am starting to get a little bit of stickness in them, but they still pop out easily. Most of the non stick has burnt off.

They weight 3 lbs if filled just below the top. They stack as well as the Lyman, RCBS, etc. molds.

Drew

schutzen
05-16-2007, 06:13 PM
The corn stick pans work fine, but there is no "good" way to store the sticks. Square or round ingots will stack in corner and be just fine. I wind up putting the corn sticks back in 5 gallon buckets and again they take up space.

TAWILDCATT
05-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Simpsons hardware has several cast iron muffin /corn sticks/and loaf pans.under $10 also kettles 12qt at $14.

TaylorTN
05-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Yammerschooner,

If that Do-all mold is the strap weight one, it makes nice 1# ingots that cool quickly. That's how I got started casting boolits.

They're 1" x1/2" by 12" or so and stack nicely into milk crates. I have two and clamp a pair of vise-grips onto them for handles.

For strap-weights, you need stick-on weights or other soft lead. WW are too brittle.

As tar as the ingots, I whack'em with a hatchet and then snap then into thirds to fit into my pot.

good luck, TM

IcerUSA
05-17-2007, 11:28 AM
I picked up a couple of those and they work OK for me, got to get them hot to burn off the coating is all and let them rust up a bit, not heavy duty, but they work. :)

Sundogg1911
05-17-2007, 12:29 PM
:???: Thanks Buckshot! Now I have to go to Walmart! The Wife just mentioned that She planned to go this evening if i'd like to go. (With Her that translates to "If you don't come, the checking account will be empty by tomorrow") I have some nice ingot molds that I made with some 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle and a MIG welder for WW's. I use 6 of the Lyman 1# moulds for Lino, and I need something that stacks well for straight pb. I use different ingot molds for different alloy so I can easily distinguish which is which without marking up each one with a sharpie.
I was using some small corn bread loaf pans, they are half round and stacked pretty nice, but they belonged to a friend, and when He took an out of state job He took them back (the nerve of some people) ;-) I just got a few 50 pound chunks of lead so the timing is perfect. I sure hope my local Walmart has 'em!

yammerschooner
05-17-2007, 06:16 PM
I love when threads like this come back up. It gives me some perspective on how my setup has changed over the last couple of years. At the time I wrote, I had a limited supply of "tools." Fast forward to a week ago- I drove 2k miles to pick up $6500 worth of casting equipment. Talk about getting sucked in.

Now I get to find out if it is worth it.

If it does, days that I have ingots on hand (other than the 125-230 grain ones) may be few and far between.

Yammerschooner,

If that Do-all mold is the strap weight one, it makes nice 1# ingots that cool quickly. That's how I got started casting boolits.

They're 1" x1/2" by 12" or so and stack nicely into milk crates. I have two and clamp a pair of vise-grips onto them for handles.

For strap-weights, you need stick-on weights or other soft lead. WW are too brittle.

As tar as the ingots, I whack'em with a hatchet and then snap then into thirds to fit into my pot.

good luck, TM

sniper
04-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Here's the cornbread pan--$7.99.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004S9I6/qid=1128896472/br=1-5/ref=cl_tr_br_cl//104-9123288-0844762?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=10207881

Not any more, I'm afraid. I checked, and the price is now $13.99 + $8 shipping. Yard saes, here I come!

twotoescharlie
04-16-2008, 12:58 PM
$5.99 #63530--www.agrisupply.com

1-800-345-0169

this is where Im got mine. they gotta lot of good stuff in their catalog

TTC

twotoescharlie
04-16-2008, 01:02 PM
cast iron cornbread moulds--$5.99 www.agrisupply.com #63530 1-800-345-0169

gitche a catalog, gotta lot of good stuff.

TTC

threett1
04-18-2008, 05:37 PM
I've been using a Pampered Chef mini loaf pan for several years now. They are about 4-5lbs depending on how much I fill them. Its a 4 banger and works well.

Boerrancher
04-18-2008, 09:00 PM
I went to my local Wally World just to look for mini loaf pans. It would seem that my local store doesn't carry mini loaf pans or anything that would be suited for ingot molds. I even ask one of the employee's in the department if they had mini loaf pans her first response was to look at me like a cow with a bastard calf. I have the corn bread pans that look like ears of corn. I thought it would be good to use and found out that they don't stack.

THE CAT
10-02-2008, 11:50 PM
just a little note --:castmine: i have three corn cob type moulds two cast iron and one aluminum all found at a garage sell $3 dollars for all use them for soft lead about 1 1/2 pounds each... one pie shaped pan $ 2 ..makes 7 ingots for cleaned WW molds about 3 1/2 lbs @ and two aluminun, kinda star shaped one"s for Lynotype about 1 pound @ from letter press type they all fall out when cooled . just to keep my alloy's seperate There still out there but have to look and can get them for a little denero at times ...

( THE CAT )

DLCTEX
10-03-2008, 10:41 AM
I bought my cast iron corn molds at Walls discount in Elk City, Ok. for 3.95 , it was about 1 1/2 years ago. I store the ingots in a wooden crate with rope handles, but I can't move it when full. DALE

TexRebel
10-06-2008, 06:09 PM
some times you can find a everware corn bread pan that is round and makes 8 nice 3 lb ingots shaped like a piece of pie :bigsmyl2: got mine at a yard sale for 1 dollar

mold maker
02-27-2010, 09:54 AM
The OLD corn ear molds are high dollar collector items. If ya find one for cheap, don't use it for lead. Evilbay it and use the funds to buy Lyman Alum ingot molds w/handles.
Ingot molds are an investment that can always be sold later at a profit. In the meantime you get stack-able ingots in a really convenient size. Watch for Midway to put them on sale.
BTW Milk crates will contain 750 1 lb ingots. Just don't try to move it.
If the crate is full to the right level, you can stack another on top. That means in 13"X13" of floor space you can safely store (contain) 1500 lbs of lead.
I have several of the old metal and wire crates (1950s) and have well over a ton of (same alloy) ingots in the same 13" footprint.

fredj338
02-27-2010, 04:35 PM
The best molds I have found are just a 3" channel iron cut to 4"-5" long. Wld a piece of palte or angle iron on the ends & you get a great ingot mold. Of course having access to a welder is key, but there are a lot of guys making them.

MGySgt
02-28-2010, 09:18 PM
The OLD corn ear molds are high dollar collector items. If ya find one for cheap, don't use it for lead. Evilbay it and use the funds to buy Lyman Alum ingot molds w/handles.
Ingot molds are an investment that can always be sold later at a profit. In the meantime you get stack-able ingots in a really convenient size. Watch for Midway to put them on sale.
BTW Milk crates will contain 750 1 lb ingots. Just don't try to move it.
If the crate is full to the right level, you can stack another on top. That means in 13"X13" of floor space you can safely store (contain) 1500 lbs of lead.
I have several of the old metal and wire crates (1950s) and have well over a ton of (same alloy) ingots in the same 13" footprint.

Won't work for me - I don't need any 13X13 holes in the floor of my casting shed! :)

sargenv
03-02-2010, 05:37 PM
I probably paid too much for these cast iron muffin pans, but when I saw them, I thought "Stackable and easy to use" so I got two of them.. Yep, Lodge.. They can make an up to about 3 pound ingot, I filled them about 2/3 full and was happy with the size of them.

Steel185
03-02-2010, 10:05 PM
The best molds I have found are just a 3" channel iron cut to 4"-5" long. Wld a piece of palte or angle iron on the ends & you get a great ingot mold. Of course having access to a welder is key, but there are a lot of guys making them.

I'm a decent welder, but i can't picture how the mold looks. Do you have a picture?

Spudgunr
03-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Looks like this:

http://www.abymc.com/Articles/Gallery/Justin_L002c.jpg

I just wish there was a way to make the angle iron about a 100 degree angle, then make the sides a 70 degree angle, to make a trapezoid that would fall out of the mold easier.

GLL
03-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Steel185:

Here is the best designed ingot mould I have ever used ! I have six of these five-pounders made by jawjaboy.

BEAUTIFUL welds !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/5A6777B8FA7EE62/orig.jpg

Walks
10-09-2016, 05:12 PM
I guess I'm luckier than most of you guys, I have about 15+ 4cav moulds from most of the big mold makers. I just sort of collected them at garage sales and from some of the old guys at the ranges I used to shoot at before they were closed down. I separate alloys in the different branded ingot molds. And I buy my own Rubber maid containers. And MY WIFE knows better than to ask me to go to wally world or any like place. NAH, NAH NAH.

Sorry had to throw in the nahs. I guess it sounds like I'm bragging. But I ain't. Just EXTREMELY LUCKY in my WIFE'S choice of a husband. And in finding ingot molds.

Now if it would only work with the lottery.

vintagesportsman
10-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Amazing what we can think of for ideas! I too use old muffin tins but find the roung ingots a tad large for my Lee pot. Have been looking for something different and decidied to try some "small" muffin cups (tinfoil type) but after reading this post I have a dozen different options...

LivnDream
10-12-2016, 09:21 AM
anyone use these ?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/american-metalcraft-ciprt5336-5-1-2-x-3-1-2-rectangular-cast-iron-mini-pot/124CIPRT5336.html

nun2kute
12-19-2018, 10:03 AM
Buckshot, I know what you mean about those people who are easily dazzled by bright shiney things. Why is it, when a woman goes through the door of a store, they will come to a dead stop, creating a massive crash of people behind them? Can't they step to the side, out of the traffic flow? They are most likely the same one poking down the middle of an aisle with a shopping cart, blocking all passage to others. Why, oh WHY, do they do this!!!????? Brainless, or rude? You chose.

They Walk ..... Just like they "DRIVE" !!!!! [smilie=l:

jdfoxinc
12-19-2018, 05:52 PM
I went to the local steel dealer and picked up a 3" channel reminant and a 2" angel rem . Cut the channel into 12" lengths with a 15 deg angle on the ends. Welded 4" of the angle to both ends and now have 5 15+ lb ingot molds. They fit my Lee 20 lb and my magma 40 lb pots.

shootinfox2
12-20-2018, 08:31 PM
My version frpm Amazon with reenforcement for the weight.

LenH
12-21-2018, 10:51 AM
The ones I have are made from 4" channel about 4" long. They were cut at an angle on the end (not enough by the way) and a piece if angle iron to close the end.

The guy that welded them for me used too much heat and the end drew in and now they are almost square. I work for a steel fabricator and found the stuff in the
scrap bin. the ingots weigh about 4.5 to 5 pounds ea. I had enough material to make two 2 ingot molds. Those stack real good.

I also found some bolt kegs that weren't bent all to hades and back, with lids an locking bands. These look like a 5 gallon metal bucket but a bit taller. They hold
about 7 gallons and I get about 150# of lead in them. I hated it when that started shipping bolts in plastic kegs.

lightman
12-23-2018, 12:14 PM
I started off years ago smelting in a small or maybe a medium size dutch oven and a homemade heater made from a water heater burner and used a single Lyman ingot mold. I wanted bigger so I scrounged a larger pot and built a high pressure jet burner. A little later I found 6 or so Lyman style molds at a gun show for a dollar or two each. These are different brands but are all cast iron. If I didn't have those Lyman style molds I would build some from either angle iron or channel. I might even consider using aluminum. I would size them to fit a small flat rate box, just because.

I've used muffin tins and didn't really like the way they stacked. I also had a few of the corn cob/corn bread molds and didn't like the way they stacked either. I just finally migrated back to the Lyman type molds that I started out with.

2011redrider
12-23-2018, 05:36 PM
I started with cheap Wal-Mart muffin tins and first pour was welded to the pan, had to peel them out like a sardine can. 2nd try, I had some graphite spray from Lowe's that said it was rated to 850 degrees. Worked great and ingots popped right out, but, as others have said they don't stack well.

Saw the rectangular mini loaf pan made by Wilton. Saw them on a you tube video by "Elvis Ammo" it a 8 cavity mold and yields about 3 lb each. I store them in square milk crates and stack 15 to the layer and 8 to 9 layers high (approx 400 lbs ) the pans come coated and did not stick at all.
https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Perfect-Results-Non-Stick-8-Cavity/dp/B00FL62D1C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545600376&sr=8-3&keywords=wilton+mini+loaf+pan

kevin c
12-24-2018, 02:16 AM
I have the Wilton 8 cavity mini loaf pans, but also have the same manufacturer's larger 4 cavity pans, which will cast close to a 10# ingot instead of the roughly 3# ingots with the smaller. Of course, the larger ingots won't fit into the casting pots I have, but I use them to store my salvage and scrap alloy prior to remelting and mixing of casting alloy, which are made into the smaller ingots.

If cast of consistent size, either size of loaf ingot (with a full pour, they look like Fort Knox style gold bricks) stored alternating up and down will make a compact and stable stack.

I burned out the non stick coating prior to the first use - while not harmful I just am not a fan of ingots that look like lead O-Cel-O sponges.

ETA: one drawback to the Wilton multi cavity loaf pans of either size is that they bend easily if poured full. Sure, they can be bent back, but it's hard to get all the cavities back to level, and that makes for uneven ingots that don't stack as well.

MGySgt
12-24-2018, 02:58 PM
With the Wilton 8 cavity mold - put angle iron on all 4 sides - no more bending when full.

shootinfox2
12-26-2018, 05:36 PM
See post #62 for pics of reenforcement.

kevin c
12-28-2018, 08:34 PM
I dont have the skills to make those braces, but maybe I'll try anyway. They look like they do a good job.

shootinfox2
12-29-2018, 10:28 AM
The braces are just 1/2 inch square stock runners and angle iron ends tack welded together. The loaf pan is screwed to the angle iron to prevent slipping. Not hard if you have a welder. The steel just keeps the pan from flexing while you dump the ingots.

kevin c
12-31-2018, 01:26 AM
I really gotta learn how to weld...

Walks
06-29-2019, 10:50 PM
Don't know why this popped up again. But I bought a Lodge "7 wedge" pan on sale at my local Ralph's
( kroeger ) Grocery store for $10.97 including tax. Maybe some of you should check your local Kroger Grocery.
Makes about a 2 1/2 lb triangle ingot. 7 at once. Blasted heavy to turn over.

GregLaROCHE
06-29-2019, 11:49 PM
If you think they are a little to big, just don’t fill them all the way up to the top.

kevin c
06-30-2019, 03:01 AM
I bought the same pan with the express purpose of making ingots. Never did use it. Gave it to my wife, and so far she hasn't used it either. We both ended up with other tools that suit us better.

John Boy
06-30-2019, 08:40 AM
100 oz steel molds ...
https://www.makeyourowngoldbars.com/100-oz-gold-bar-loaf-steel-ingot-mold-cast-iron-smelting-sterling

Crash_Corrigan
07-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Back in '93 when I just started to cast my own boolits I used a Coleman Gas Camping Stove and a Lodge Cast Iron 5 qt kettle with a lid to melt my radiator shop sweepings and short pieces of solder. However I did not have any molds. Looking around I found that egg cartons would get the job done.

I would place the egg cartons on the bare dirt and carefully pour enough alloy into each compartment to almost fill it completely. I had collected probably 20 of these paper mache cartons so I just went ahead and filled all of them. After cooling for about 20 minutes I slipped a long steel spatula under each and dumped them on the ground. Now I had either 12 or 18 chunks of alloy and a scorched egg carton. I found that I could use each of these sacrificial egg cartons before they deteriorated into scorched refuse about 3 or 4 times. The burned out cartons then I fed to my worm farms and those quiet pets seemed to relish them.

The resulting chunks of alloy I stored in plastic ice cream tubs until needed. I then graduated to using Bass Pro Shops cast iron ash trays that were a small replica of a cast iron skillet with grooves (2) for your smokes. I bought 12 of them and found that they made dandy molds of my alloys. Once filled with molten alloy they cooled really fast on bare dirt. Usually within 5-7 minutes was enuf time for the tiny cast iron skillet to cool enuf and then I could dump the flat, round 2-3 lb ingot out and repeat. A friend made me a set of molds with angle iron which I have yet to use but I know it will work just fine.

alamogunr
07-01-2019, 09:06 PM
About 15+ years ago, the wife and I were traveling to Yellowstone and points in between. Stopped at a Cabela's outlet store somewhere in Nebraska. While she shopped for clothes, I found these(http://tinyurl.com/y4vx9tqm) on a closeout table. I bought 5 of them for about $5 apiece. Filled full, the ingot weighs about 1 lb. The size is such that they fit well in boxes I made to store them in. As I have aged the boxes tend to stay in one place as they weigh about an even 100 lbs each. It is a convenient way to store ingots though.

These old muffin pans are well rusted and I have to be careful pouring the first fill because the rust can contain moisture.

Winger Ed.
07-01-2019, 09:10 PM
What's rain?

In your case, it might work to just hang it on a tree, a little lower than waist high for awhile.

WardT
07-04-2019, 10:49 AM
fill with water and a splash of vinegar

David2011
07-10-2019, 03:14 AM
Buckshot, I know what you mean about those people who are easily dazzled by bright shiney things. Why is it, when a woman goes through the door of a store, they will come to a dead stop, creating a massive crash of people behind them? Can't they step to the side, out of the traffic flow?

It's one of those things that just can't be done.