PDA

View Full Version : Home made spring compressor for rws 48

odfairfaxsub
06-17-2015, 06:33 PM

odfairfaxsub
06-17-2015, 06:36 PM

odfairfaxsub
06-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Built the gidget w scrap lumber and 3 pieces of 3/8 all thread. Took about 2.5 hrs to build and cost around 10 bucks. Will fit any barreled action up to 36 in long.

HollowPoint
06-17-2015, 06:45 PM
I'm always fascinated by peoples DIY engineering. Mine is made of pieces of steel I had in my junk pile. It consists of the front bumper section of a HumVee, the screw end of an old broken C-clamp with the acme-screw still attached and a few other scraps of metal stock left over from other projects.

I use it to compress the Gas-Spring on my Umarex Octane air rifle. It's not very pretty but it works safely and reliably; and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Heck, it didn't cost anything but the time it took to make it.

I found out after that fact that I could have used one of those cheap harbor freight long table clamps as well. I kind of like our DIY contraptions better. There's no plastic to break or money involved.

HollowPoint

odfairfaxsub
06-17-2015, 07:00 PM
Ya I looked at those except at Home Depot and was going to run me 43 bucks and I said no way that's in our budget so I built this motley looking thing. I'm putting another barrel/air cylinder chamber rest in it tomorrow so I have additional spots for securing.

Not pretty but it will work and I'll prob use it 4 times on thus gun lol if I'm not lucky.

the Picts are taken from the fully compressed state as noticed by the amount of all thread behind the non stationary vice in the bottom pict (right hand side of device is moving portion)

gloob
06-18-2015, 05:49 AM
I haven't taken a springer apart, yet. But this got me thinking about what it would take.

It seems like it might be done with two blocks of wood, two wood clamps and a bench. And one big bolt and a nut screwed through one of the blocks.

odfairfaxsub
06-22-2015, 11:25 AM
Took my gun apart on Saturday, took 45 mins. The vortek kit is pretty sweet. I used their o ring style seal tophat instead of their pg2. I made sure to use minimal amounts of grease. I was more focused about making sure that I greased enough where the spring goes and compresses in the deleron sheath aka the guide.... I added a small smear apon the piston metal and a sheen apon the o-ring to assist in install. Shot the gun and had a slightly noticeable combustion (5 x smaller than when you put a single drop of oil and swear you shot a 22) but knew my velocity numbers would ballence out and the gun would come into itself after 100 ish shots.

shot the gun 25 times just getting used to things then I shot 4 groups at 25 yards. They kept getting smaller and smaller til the last group measured about 1 inch 5 shots. I bet it'll get better once I shoot it more and more.

spring compressor I made worked perfect! If I might make a suggestion out there for those who may get jammed up easy when things don't go so smoothly use all thread that's longer than 36 inches long. Taking the stock spring out on a brand new gun I was about 3 inches too short on my thread. No issue tho I just said I must have taken way more than half the pressure off so I held the fixture against the floor and undid the hardware and gently relieved it that way. Putting it together the vortek spring was short enough to put into my fixture apon me starting the spring w my punch acting as a pin. Longer all thread would have been super benificial.

TCLouis
06-30-2015, 11:06 PM
How many inches did you have to relieve it to get the spring tension off.

I have "parts" on hand to build one and wonder how much travel I will have plan on.