PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled

45nut
03-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Any interest? [smilie=1: Gonna make a phone call on monday.....more details then.

Ricochet
03-22-2008, 10:13 PM
I need some. I've been looking around, in fact.

rugerman1
03-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Great thread!!! [smilie=1:

Dennis Eugene
03-22-2008, 10:17 PM
If there Lee aluminum count me out

Curly James
03-22-2008, 10:45 PM
I would be interested also...especially if they are stainless

wiljen
03-23-2008, 09:45 AM
I need at least 2 depending on price.

shdwlkr
03-23-2008, 11:17 AM
If they are 8 round mags and stainless and the price is one I can afford I could use some

wonderwolf
03-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I might be interested are these from sarco perhaps?

35remington
03-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Checkmates, perhaps?

If they are true tapered lip GI's with seven round capacity, then I'm in.

45 2.1
03-23-2008, 06:26 PM
There are alot of imitations and seconds out there that say GI Spec., but do not feed or fit. I'm interested IF they do feed and fit. Checkmates would good to try.

OLPDon
03-23-2008, 06:33 PM
I agree with 45 2.1,,,,, I would be in on stainless dependent on price. Would be interested in multipule Mags.

Don

45nut
03-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Checkmate is the company I had in mind.

HeavyMetal
03-23-2008, 07:29 PM
haven't seen the checkmate. However my interest rate on a scale of 1 to 10 is 11 1/2!

Lets see what you get in response to your inquiry.

By the way options such as base pads etc?

35remington
03-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Guys, I already have recently purchased GI Checkmates, and they are superb.

They offer them in 7 shot blued or stainless.

Cartridge release is a little bit earlier than the other GI types (Checkmate has also made the CAGE coded Vietnam era 1911 magazines), so they are more useful than for just feeding ball. They also feed the various hollowpoints like Golden Saber flawlessly. This slightly earlier release modification makes them very useful, but cartridge rise under the extractor and positive feed is every bit that the GI's are.

If you wanna see pictures, I can post some. Finish is excellent, and they are the finest quality GI magazines I've ever seen - call them "better than GI."

I want a few more GI's. I only got ten the last go around and could use five more.

You might also ask Jackie, the Checkmate rep, if they would also extend a group buy to include the magazines with the Colt spec hybrid feed lips as well as the GI's. These still have the GI taper but have a slightly earlier release for shorter rounds while still providing superior reliability to the "big name" Chip McWilson 8 shot magazines we are unfortunately saddled with.

35remington
03-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I have some with drilled and tapped base plates for thin or thick slam pads. They may also offer spare followers.

Best group buy idea that I've seen here in a long time.

We don't often get an alternative to the big name magazines that are actually superior at a lower price, but this would be it.

buckndee
03-23-2008, 08:13 PM
I would be in four 4-5 mags.

10-x
03-23-2008, 09:05 PM
I'll take 4-5 also
Anyone have a 1911 Mag lip tool?
If so, wanna sell it? or rent it?

warf73
03-23-2008, 11:56 PM
If the price is right I could use several.

35remington
03-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Please don't use a mag lip tool on these GI magazines to take the taper out.

That would be a crime, and would ruin them. Believe me, you don't want to try to make McCormicks out of them. That is a big step backward.

If you want an inferior magazine, buy it that way. If you need a earlier release point buy the hybrid, which keeps the taper. No lip tool needed.

Stay away from uber short wadcutters and you'll be fine with these.

hicard
03-24-2008, 01:06 AM
I would be interested in a few of these magazines also.

Springfield
03-24-2008, 08:17 PM
I really should buy a bunch of these if they are good so I can get rid of all the others I have so I don't have 6 different brands.

Lloyd Smale
03-24-2008, 08:23 PM
depending on price i could allways use some mags.

John F.
03-24-2008, 08:43 PM
I'd be interested as well, depending on price.
Thanks!
John

warf73
03-24-2008, 09:37 PM
I can only hope the price is what it was when I was racing with my 45, $7.00 a mag was nice but mags didn't last over a month(being dropped on concret shortens there life)

HeavyMetal
03-25-2008, 09:03 PM
45NUT:
Whats the skinny here?

45nut
03-25-2008, 09:26 PM
called yesterday, waiting on a email with the pricing breakdowns and such.

charlie3tuna
03-26-2008, 07:32 AM
At $7.00 each, I'd take 10 ;)

charlie

trickyasafox
03-26-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm in for a couple :)

NSP64
03-26-2008, 10:18 PM
sounds good, give price when you can.

Alchemist
03-27-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm also interested depending on price.

Heavy
03-28-2008, 08:30 AM
I would like to be in on this one also. Depends on the price of course.

10-x
03-28-2008, 08:48 AM
35Remington,
Tool I'm talking about only shapes the profile of the opening, nothing to do with taper of lip. Used one in the early 70's when on a FT Bragg pistol team. Our armorer had one and have only seen 1 since. Perfect for ball and semi wads.If I recall , you had to dissassemble the mag, insert from the bottom, insert cross pin through the top view hole, form the lips to the tool with a brass hammer. Never had an feed problem afterwards.:drinks:

rockrat
03-28-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm in too. Probably want around 10 or so, depending on $$

waksupi
03-28-2008, 10:43 AM
guess I should say 4, just so you can keep the count right

colbyjack
03-28-2008, 11:11 AM
i still say we need a good quality mag, like chip mccormik, wilson, checkmate. ive found some 7 rd GI mags for the $6-$8 range but will they work??? will you need a 20 ton press to get ammo in? will they feed ok? etc...... it would suck to order 250 elcheapo $7 mags and have them not work. id be partial to a $10-$12 mag that will work everytime. and from what ive seen good mags from midway, or others are $14-$25 hope fully we can get one of the high dollar reliable mags for close to $10-$12 shipped. im courious to what ken finds.

ken, joe is making some calls today so ill let you know soon as i find out. depending on if they are 7, 8, or 10 rounders id take 6-10 mags possibly more. -chris

35remington
03-28-2008, 06:28 PM
10X, that's good news. I was afraid you were referring to the tool Brownell's sells, which would turn the magazine into the McCormick et al lip style by removing the taper before the release point, which would be a real disaster and less reliable.

I'd try the magazines as is first; the Checkmate GI's I mentioned have an earlier reliease point than most original GI magazines, which helps feed rounds somewhat shorter than ball.

If you need a bit earlier release than that look into the hybrid style (Colt spec) which has the shape you need with no reforming tool needed. The desirable taper is still present.

10-x
03-28-2008, 09:33 PM
35 Remington, I've checked Brownells for years and none were/are offered . I've kind of given up till I found this site, thus the post. Have a stack of Mags that function ok , just believe in proven processes. Problem with most Mags today is they do not come apart. and you are pretty much stuck with how they come
Guess I need to find an old armorer that has his tools.:drinks:

35remington
03-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Brownell's still sells it, but you don't want it. I can show you the link should you wish.

I have a lot of armorer modified magazines myself, but the Checkmate hybrid lipped style is what you would have if you modified them yourself to the most likely to feed type with most all suitable ammo.

They do all the hard work for you, which is great.

Kansas
04-01-2008, 10:49 AM
I would be interested, number needed depends on price.

John D
04-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Would also be interested, depending on price.

TaylorTN
04-03-2008, 05:12 PM
we would be interested in 5 to 10, dep on price.

TM

PappaJ
04-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Hey Y'all. Finally got around to posting on here. I just heard back from Chip McCormick and if we do a minimum of 100 mags I can get distributor pricing for us. This would be for the 8rd Match Grade power mags with base. Looking at $13.25 each. That is no shipping costs figured into that. I can probably ship out flat rate USPS depending on how many mags we each order. Not sure what it's gonna cost on shipping to receive but it should set us under $14 total per mag. I checked my dealer pricing with Brownells ($16.77) and Midway USA ($16.99), so this is a pretty good deal. I use these same mags in my Springer for IPSC and I have never had a problem (with the mags, my ability to hit something is another point entirely) I've also sold these with some of my custom builds and the have all worked flawlessly. Let me know what y'all think.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7011&stc=1&d=1207589898

Thanks,
Joe

sundog
04-07-2008, 02:13 PM
I'd be interested in the Chip McCormick's especially if they would function well in a Kimber. Six to eight would be about right - like around a hunert dollars worth.

Alchemist
04-07-2008, 02:25 PM
That mag looks identical to a Kimber mag I bought....I'd go for some (4-6) of those if the price is around $15.00.

Alchemist

trickyasafox
04-07-2008, 03:21 PM
i'd be in for a definite 3- probably 4.

Clyde
04-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I would take 6 at $15.00.

Ricochet
04-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Now the responses are going to get confusing about which offer they're for. Personally, I'm interested in the GI spec mags.

Springfield
04-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Me too, can't use the little bumper on the bottom for Wild Bunch shoots.

PappaJ
04-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Just an FYI the little 'bumper' doesn't have to be attached. The mag has a standard bottom that has 2 holes in it. It comes with the drop bumper and 2 screws for attachement. Owners discretion there. These are 8 round match mags if that makes any difference.

colbyjack
04-07-2008, 11:26 PM
joe can you get us a price on 7/8 rounders GI mags blue'd also. name brand so they run. maybe theres enough intrest to have a match mag GB and a GI mag GB. also what kind of numbers do we need to order the min, so we get a a good price? 100, 200, 300 mags total?

id be in for some mags depending on what everyone desides. id like 8 rounders or 10 rounders but dont see anyone else wanted 10's. if we get a killin price on the GI's id be in for some for backups. -chris

PappaJ
04-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Chris. I gotta order a minimum of 100 mags to get incentive pricing. I'll check price on GI mags (blued 7 round) and get that posted. Since this is a feeler post I'll start a different one for all to hit with what they want. Probably one for 8 round match and one for 7 round GI.

35remington
04-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Let me clarify something here - I am interested in the GI magazines because they are NOT McCormick magazines, which is the whole point.

If you want to detour the group buy to something else, fine....start another group buy.

Not to get owly, but the GI type are harder to get than McCormick magazines, which is the point of a group buy.

Keep this on the GI thread, as the manufacturer of GI magazines doesn't supply McCormick magazines. Entirely separate design.

Let's clarify - true GI magazines have tapered not parallel feed lips, a dimple on the follower and seven shot capacity. Anything else is not GI. Checkmate has this in their lineup currently, and I have examples of same.

35remington
04-09-2008, 10:30 PM
The pictured mag in PappaJ's post is a Shooting Star with a bumper pad and a solid base plate. Power Mags have the same feed lips and a stronger spring with a removable base plate. The weakness of the Shooting Stars are weak springs. That's why Chip had to come out with the Power Mag.

Now, let's get back to the GI magazines.

35remington
04-09-2008, 10:40 PM
One more thing - before you decide to stay with this buy or jump ship to a McCormick, it is important to understand the differences between a GI magazine and a McCormick. They're not the same and they don't feed the same.

They are also designed for different ammunition, which shouldn't be surprising because the feed lips are configured differently.

colbyjack
04-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Let me clarify something here - I am interested in the GI magazines because they are NOT McCormick magazines, which is the whole point.

good for you

If you want to detour the group buy to something else, fine....start another group buy.

i thought this was a feeler thread?????

Not to get owly, but the GI type are harder to get than McCormick magazines, which is the point of a group buy

i thought the point of a group buy was to get a great price on magazines that work not some junk chinkaneese GI mag for $6.95

Keep this on the GI thread, as the manufacturer of GI magazines doesn't supply McCormick magazines. Entirely separate design.

who woulda thought......

Let's clarify - true GI magazines have tapered not parallel feed lips, a dimple on the follower and seven shot capacity. Anything else is not GI. Checkmate has this in their lineup currently, and I have examples of same.

and how much are checkmate mags? and again who cares.. do we want a mag that works any brand 7 or 8 rounds or do we want just a gi mag? i can run a GB right now on GI mags for $6-$7 stainless. will they run maybe, maybe not. but they are GI...... but they probably wont run. so lets get mags that work.

The pictured mag in PappaJ's post is a Shooting Star with a bumper pad and a solid base plate. Power Mags have the same feed lips and a stronger spring with a removable base plate. The weakness of the Shooting Stars are weak springs. That's why Chip had to come out with the Power Mag.

Now, let's get back to the GI magazines.

well shooting stars may be weak in your opinion. i shot over 3000 rounds in competion last year and never cleaned my mags. sandy, dirty, wet whatever we shot in it. i had no malfunctions and no magazine mess ups. and i ran with 6 mags all season.

One more thing - before you decide to stay with this buy or jump ship to a McCormick, it is important to understand the differences between a GI magazine and a McCormick. They're not the same and they don't feed the same.

They are also designed for different ammunition, which shouldn't be surprising because the feed lips are configured differently.

my shooting stars shoot anything. i run H&G #68's and winchester white box. no problems ever with a mag. so are you wanting GI mags so they only run with round ball ammo??

Not to get owly
but dang dude switch to decaff.... trying to hook everyone up on quality mags on the cheap and you make it sound like these are junk and GI's are the only way to go..

-chris

35remington
04-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Really.....you don't want to go there with me. Shall you persist, I will tell you, in great detail, what is wrong with some of your perceptions and experiences about magazines.

Including photos and more information by far than you currently know.

One point is very clear.

This thread is entitled, "Feeler Thread: GB on GI Spec 1911 Mags"

Care to argue with that?

Want something else in magazines? Start another thread on a McCormick group buy. Let's stay on topic.
45nut started this thread. Let's let him get his two cents in before someone else new to the forum hijacks it for the second time.

10-x
04-10-2008, 07:43 AM
AMEN! Thought this was a feeler for G.I .45 ACP Mags....what happened?????
Lets get back to basics........:-D

45 2.1
04-10-2008, 07:51 AM
45nut said he called on 3-24-08 and here it is 4-10-08, a little over two weeks.

45nut
04-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I am seeking the best deal out there for us, it seems to be quite varied from top to bottom. I ordered two mags from aim and the follower was a rounded arch type and neither functioned perfectly , one issue was the impossibly stiff slide release using this type so I will pass in favor of something that will work giving up a great price in favor of something that works.
Colby and PappaJ are on our side on this, they are not here to edge me out, rather they are offering a different viewpoint, this IS only a feeler thread.
I was after a pricepoint that was under what was offered by checkmate personally, Individually most folks can easily go out and buy a half dozen mags of their choosing, my thought was to bring up a opportunity to get some mags in our hands for general purpose and plinking, not race guns. with the qualifier that these mags offer us a value but under the 10-15 dollar floor that seems so common nowadays and remembering these will also need to be shipped twice, once to me and once by me. That of course adds to the price point.

I am not in a hurry to make this happen, this is not a sprint. If you can allow me time to do it right once vs doing it wrong three times then this is the buy for you. If you need them in the next week or month then you are better served buying some on your own.
I will not accept or send out garbage purely to meet a price point, I have observed quite a few group buys in my time here and know how things can get out of hand so since this is of particular interest to me I will proceed carefully and purposely.

I am not done contacting resources yet, there are literally tons of possibilities and sorting the wheat from the chaff is something I intend to do right.

Ghugly
04-10-2008, 01:41 PM
I am seeking the best deal out there for us, it seems to be quite varied from top to bottom. I ordered two mags from aim and the follower was a rounded arch type and neither functioned perfectly , one issue was the impossibly stiff slide release using this type so I will pass in favor of something that will work giving up a great price in favor of something that works.
Colby and PappaJ are on our side on this, they are not here to edge me out, rather they are offering a different viewpoint, this IS only a feeler thread.
I was after a pricepoint that was under what was offered by checkmate personally, Individually most folks can easily go out and buy a half dozen mags of their choosing, my thought was to bring up a opportunity to get some mags in our hands for general purpose and plinking, not race guns. with the qualifier that these mags offer us a value but under the 10-15 dollar floor that seems so common nowadays and remembering these will also need to be shipped twice, once to me and once by me. That of course adds to the price point.

I am not in a hurry to make this happen, this is not a sprint. If you can allow me time to do it right once vs doing it wrong three times then this is the buy for you. If you need them in the next week or month then you are better served buying some on your own.
I will not accept or send out garbage purely to meet a price point, I have observed quite a few group buys in my time here and know how things can get out of hand so since this is of particular interest to me I will proceed carefully and purposely.

I am not done contacting resources yet, there are literally tons of possibilities and sorting the wheat from the chaff is something I intend to do right.

So, you are still waiting for a reply from Checkmate about quantity pricing? How good are their mags? I get the impression, from their website, that they make a whole bunch of different mags, for a whole bunch of different vendors. What would we be after?

45nut
04-10-2008, 02:06 PM
I have the reply from checkmate, from the reports I have they are a fine product, there are about 30 options and the prices are from mild to wild.

I am seeking more options for us, that is the bottom line. I do not buy the first car on the lot or the first tomato I pick up at the grocery store either.

I am waiting on return calls from other sources.

HeavyMetal
04-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Good prices require due diligence in shopping!

Keep shopping and good luck.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-14-2008, 11:39 PM
45Nut,

Sounds like you're doing the job right to me. Keep up the good work!

Huzzah,

Dave

Lloyd Smale
04-15-2008, 06:10 AM
I agree with both sides here. I use mostly wilson mags and some CM mags anymore. theres nothing wrong with gi mags if there good ones. The better gis are as good as any mag but good luck anymore finding them. there is more junk on the market then quality product. Personaly my money is better spent on a wilson or cm that i know will run. As to GIs being vastly superior ill argue that one. If that were the case every competitor out there would be using them and they dont. For the most part competitive shooters run wilsons or CMs. I dont claim to know more then the guys that make there living shooting do.

si vis pacem, para b
05-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Just wondering if this one is still alive.:coffee:

Ricochet
05-12-2008, 02:23 PM
I gave up on it and bought a bunch of cheap mags.

45nut
05-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Unfortunately the suppliers I contacted were not interested in giving me details or they never replied at all to my inquiries. The 2 samples I did acquire were substandard and not something I would buy twice much less sell here.
I encourage anyone that wants to take this on good luck, it seems there are few available stocks of real mags for a decent price. Sure, there are plenty of the high dollar ones but nothing for us plinkers.

Sorry, but I will not be proceeding further with this.

NSP64
05-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Sure, there are plenty of the high dollar ones but nothing for us plinkers.

I know how you feel. I picked up some COLT mags at gunshow for$7.00 a piece.
Thanks for the attempt.

45nut
05-12-2008, 07:50 PM
I spent about 70 bucks I did not have to spare on phone calls to companies that did not have a intelligent answer or did not have anyone employed that was intelligent period. Getting anywhere with some folks was impossible. I just don't have the money to spare to continue the "game" that some insisted was a needed part of buying something as simple as a real GI spec mag.

If someone else has the time, money and energy to continue the search, have at it. I learned my lesson.

PappaJ
05-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks for trying Ken. I know what a PIA it is to find who's got what and what they'll do for you quantity wise. It seems most manufacturers don't' want to deal with new dealers or they just shove you off to their wholesalers. Every once in a while I'll get lucky on something like that, but not very often. PM or Email if I can help you out with any of your future endevors.

Joe

scrapcan
05-14-2008, 07:10 PM
45nut,

I appreciate your effort and resources spent fo rthe rest of us. Thanks again.

Ricochet
05-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Same here. I'm sorry that didn't work out, and appreciate your efforts.

powderburnerr
05-14-2008, 10:47 PM
IO would also be interested in some ....Dean