PDA

View Full Version : A Perspective on the XCB

kens
06-17-2015, 08:16 AM
I would like to post my perspective on the XCB. Moderators may delete if you wish.
The work the guys have put into this project is astounding, I having hard time to fully grasp just what they have accomplished.
I would like to make an analogy of the 30XCB to my copy of Hornady loading manual 3rd edition. I quit loading from this book because it is a 'Hot' book, all the top end loads listed gave me flattened primers, and often hard bolt lift. This book mostly sits on the shelf because of this.

The XCB guys have taken a 165gr CAST boolit up to 3100fps. Allow me to quote some published loads from the Hornady book:
keep in mind all these are 'hot' loads
pg 230, .30-06 top end is 165gr BTSP 3000fps
pg231, .30-06 top end is 168gr BTHP 2900fps
pg 236, 300H&H, 1 of 9 loads hits 3200fps, the other 8 loads top out at 3100 (168gr BTHP)
pg 240, 308Norma Mag., 165gr SP, top at 3100
pg 241, 308Norma, 168gr BTHP top 3100

The XCB guys have pushed cast into the realm of belted magnum!!!!! (jacketed at that)
And here is the kicker; the XCB is running at Mauser pressures, while the belted mags are running belted mag pressures!!!!

Anybody else as impressed as I am??

GhostHawk
06-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Yep.
Dang nazi posting police says I need 5 characters.
3 stooges, gumby and me, Wild Bill aka Ghosthawk.

Totally agree Ken's, FYI try volume 4.

cainttype
06-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Bjornb's "Testing the 30 XCB" thread will return to Special Projects. I've been assured of that by No_1.
It was apparently pulled for review by staff. I'm not sure of any time frame on it's return, but it will be great to see all the data it contains reposted.

For me, what makes the entire XCB concept special is the cooperation and collaboration by the particpating experimenters on what was considered only theories, by many, not long ago.
The results thus far have spurred the design of new moulds, rifles with unusual barrel configurations, and cartridge cases designed to optimize capacity for HV... ALL of these things can, and will, be adopted in the hunting/sporting fields by others eventually.
The "Plug and Play" system Tim speaks of is a reality today because of the work these gentlemen have done. The data they are compiling is just the beginning of a data base that will benefit many cast shooters for a long time to come.

I'm anticipating the eventual postings of results from standard weight rifles with 24-26" barrels adopting design ideas from the XCB project. I'm sure Al could be talked into wider meplats, or even RGs, with the basic XCB design...should be interesting.

1johnlb
06-17-2015, 11:02 PM
Bjonb's Testing the xcb, is back up under special projects. I was scared to post on it, it might disappear again:lol: .

Ken,
The xcb team has done a great job with this project. I've had no part of it's design and have carefully tried to walk in their footstep only to find how easy they have made it for the relatively inexperienced like me. I've found nothing d that they've posted in conflict. Not only has my velocity increase but my entire shooting game.