PDA

View Full Version : 26" long bbld winchester Canadian Centennial model 1894

Frank46
06-17-2015, 03:27 AM
Ok, I have a winchester 1894 Canadian Centennial commorative rifle in 30-30 caliber. Full octagon barrel. I have a lyman MJT front globe sight that I would like to install on the front end. The origional front sight was .560" in height, measured from the top of the barrel to the top of the sight. Now the MJT is something like.630" measured from the bottom of it's base to approximately to the center of the front sight. Since the rear sight and front one have to be basically on the same plane on the rifle so as to be able to use the windage and elevation knobs on the sight, if I got that part right. There are only two mounting holes on this rifle and if I were to install a standard williams adjustable rear sight I'm thinking I'm going to have problems getting both sights on the same plane, I hope that this makes sense. Since this rifle has a really nice bore cast bullets are in its future. But will first be firing 100rds of jacketed bullets to smooth up the the bore. I was thinking about having installing a redfield mounting adaptor plate for a martini and maybe using one of my redfield olympics or international rear sights. So any thoughts,suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated. Think I can get the local gun shop to drill and tap the adaptor plate for the two regular mounting screws like a lyman or williams sight would use to avoid drilling any other screw holes in the receiver. Thanks for any help. Frank

country gent
06-17-2015, 05:53 AM
Drilling the mounting plate should be a big deal set up will be a little bit but not alot. Then just center drill drill and counter bore for screw head move to second location and repeat. A lot charge $25.00 a hole to drill and tap not sure feew for drill and counterbore. Look at the rifles hole spacing and the base you may be able to use one existing hole and only have to add one more. The mounting rail will need to be flat sided and the correct thickness to zero the windage on the appeture sight also.

pietro
06-17-2015, 09:58 AM

I would suggest anyone not overthink the issue, and just shoot it @ 100yds to find out.

Once the +/- POI vs the POA is determined, Brownell's & others have an online sight height calculator to determine what's needed.

Failing that, measurements can get you close to the optimum sight height - with the rear sight midway in it's elevation adjustment range, just measure the height of both sights from the bore C/L to the center of the peep (rear sight) and to the center of the globe sight's insert (for a post front sight, use the top of the post).

A comparison of the two heights above bore C/L will determine what needs to be done, if anything except proof shooting.

Scharfschuetze
06-18-2015, 01:17 AM
Lyman makes their 17a sight in several heights to get around your problem. A quick check at Lyman's web sight or Midway's should provide a solution without too much expense.

Lyman:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/series-17a.php

Note that the 17a comes in a .404, .494, and .584 heights. You should be able to get pretty close to your goal with the latter two heights. I generally like the .404 height when used with a good adjustable aperture rear sight such as the old Redfield or the Lyman 66. I can zero at 50 yards, but shoot all the way to 400 yards or more when using the correct come ups on the sight for whatever load I'm shooting.

The Lyman sight looks very nice on an octagon barrel. I have a couple on my octagon barrels as well as round barrels.

Frank46
06-19-2015, 12:50 AM
I also have the 20" bbld version of the Canadian Centennial rifle. That has a Lyman 17 front globe sight and a Williams adjustable rear sight. I've had no problems getting zeroed with 170 grain winchester power points. I do have a redfield sight adaptor mounting plate for a BSA martini which is nothing more than a flat plate with the necessary holes both for mounting and for the sight itself. Good idea about drilling mounting plate for the holes already on the rifle, this way no extra holes would needed to be drilled and tapped on the receiver. Does anyone know the center to center measurements already drilled and tapped on a 94 win?. And thanks again. Frank