PDA

View Full Version : check zero under hunting conditions

Junior1942
03-22-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm planning a walk through the deep woods in the morning, and I'll take my little Rossi M92 357 for beer cans & bad guys and maybe a hog. I zeroed it after deer season with my 158 gr plain base bullet @ 1620 fps beer can/bad guy load. I zeroed it off sand bags. Well, I was peeing off the front porch a few minutes ago, and I noticed some fallen pine cones in the driveway out maybe 30 to 60 yards. They looked like good targets. So I got the Rossi and sat on the front steps and propped my elbows on my knees and fired away. Every shot went over the pine cones.

So I propped against a front porch post and fired away. Every shot went over the pine cones. There's a lesson there, guys........

357maximum
03-23-2008, 04:14 AM
Are you saying your gun shoots higher while you are peeing? [smilie=1:

It is a phenomenon I have not noticed before, thanks for the heads up. [smilie=1:

I am sure that most doctors would tell you that holding it till you can hit pine cones at that distance will hurt your bladder over time. :)

WildmanJack
03-31-2008, 04:08 PM
I've heard that the fumes from evaporating pee can cause boolits to do some weird things.
As an example, once upon a time, I shot at a deer that was peeing and never came close to it. I swear I saw the boolit move two feet up and three feet to the left just to get away from the steam off the deer pee.[smilie=1:
But, then again, maybe the pine cones just moved a bit after you shot![smilie=1:

4570guy
03-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Now I don't care who ya' are, that's funny:)

Seriously, its not surprising that your point of impact (POI) changed from shooting off a rest to standing, kneeling, sitting or whatever. Leverguns especially are bad about having their POI change when shooting from a rest. I always sight in from a rest, but then shoot from various field positions to see how my POI changes. With my bolt rifles, the change is typically not large at hunting distances. With my two lever rifles -- different story. I've taken to NOT using a rest when sighting them in.

Old Ironsights
03-31-2008, 05:17 PM
I never zero from a rest. Always seemed weird to me. Get it on paper from the rest then Zero offhand.

EDIT: Here is a great example. I took my new 1886 to the range to see where it hit.

I fired ONE round from the bench at the 50yd target. I have NO idea where it went. :(

I fired the next 10 offhand. 50yds, factory Buckhorns. [smilie=1:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/44047089.jpg

As soon as I get my Creedmore installed and a bunch of Boolits cast up, I'll get down to business. :mrgreen::Fire: