PDA

View Full Version : Recalled 597 options

TXGunNut
06-16-2015, 10:18 PM
Decided I won't risk shooting my 597 in 17HMR for liability reasons. Nice lady at Remington told me I could have it re-barreled for 22 Win Mag or get a check (coupon) for $200. I really liked it as a 17HMR but I did see a few pressure signs and discontinued use. Neither option is especially attractive, not a fan of the 22 Mag but I think that beats a coupon for well under the purchase price.
What would (did) you do?

Bzcraig
06-17-2015, 12:00 AM
I'm with you, 22mag then get a bolt gun in .17

Mk42gunner
06-17-2015, 12:48 AM
I'd get it rebarreled, then see how it shoots. I would also gripe, moan, groan and complain loudly to Remington about them not offering to refund the full purchase price.

Robert

country gent
06-17-2015, 05:45 AM
Dang a recall and reduced price of returned Item. They should request original recipt and refund full monies plus a few "gimmies" for your time/ troubles. That is showing the companies gall there giving used price on a recalled firearm.

Jack Stanley
06-17-2015, 10:54 AM
The 22WMR option does shoot rather well .......................

Jack

TXGunNut
06-17-2015, 10:32 PM
The 22WMR option does shoot rather well .......................

Jack

Thinking with a 22WMR it will be worth more to me than $200, especially since I upgraded the trigger and bought extra mags. My only 22WMR is a hideout NAA revolver. May have to shoot the 597 a bit after re-barreling then maybe trade it for a 17HMR bolt gun. I really like the 17HMR but actually have little use for any rimfire. Bottom line I don't want to take $200 for something I probably paid $300 for, especially when it's probably a coupon toward a new Remington. Don't much feel like a new gun right now.

osteodoc08
06-17-2015, 10:41 PM
Complain, loudly. Then get re barreled in 22 mag. With the new VMax bullets, the 22 mag really shines compared to historical (in)accuracy.

TXGunNut
06-18-2015, 09:04 PM
I dunno, Doc, I'm just not in the mood for drama lately. There's enough going on around here already and a nice quiet transaction would be a welcome change.
Funny story: When the 17HMR came out I read the reviews, looked the ammo over and immediately determined that there is no way to economically mass-produce an accurate jacketed lead bullet that tiny. Then again I once opined that the then-new 40 S&W was a compromise between the 9mm and 45ACP with the virtues of neither.
Live and learn, I guess.

Jack Stanley
06-19-2015, 09:33 AM
If you've already had your trigger upgraded then you should be able to see quickly the 22WMR in a rifle is good for accuracy too .

As for value of them .... I think they are in the four to five hundred range but I haven't seen one locally , just gunbroker sales .

Jack

TXGunNut
06-19-2015, 11:24 PM
According to my records I paid around $400 for the rifle, may have included price of the trigger kit I installed. Today I told the good folks at Remington that I've opted for the new 22WMR barrel. They're sending me a box, guess I better find the rifle and remove the scope maybe re-install the my trigger bits. Can't recall the trigger mod I made but I fear my new friends in NY may restore it to factory as is common for factory repair trips.

Jack Stanley
06-20-2015, 09:23 AM
Putting back the original parts is a good idea . It's likely that you won't see a good trigger returned to you , unless they decide to clean up the Remington one .

Jack

osteodoc08
06-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Give it a try at least. Let us know how she works out. If mailing ammo wasn't so costly, I'd send you some ammo to try.

TXGunNut
06-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Can't recall exactly what I did to the trigger but I now recall I wasn't very happy with it, think it wasn't re-setting very well. Come to think of it, I'm not sure just where exactly this rifle is. Thinking I'll have to move a few to get to it, this could be fun.
Osteodoc08, I'm assuming you're referring to Hornady ammo. Don't know much about 22 WMR ammo but in the 17 HMR Hornady made components for the other manufacturers. I think I've seen a fair bit of 22 WMR ammo on the shelf lately, hopefully some of it is Hornady.

osteodoc08
06-20-2015, 01:31 PM
TGN,

yeah. The hornady VMax ammo has shot pretty darn well out of my Voere.

TXGunNut
06-21-2015, 12:16 AM
Tried to pick up a few boxes @ Cabela's tonight. They said it quit showing up after 22LR started showing up. That made no sense but that's what they said. Picked up a nice Cimarron/Uberti 1873 in 45 Colt while I was dawdling around, couldn't find anything else I wanted. ;-)

30calflash
06-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Have them send you a couple cases of 22 lr ammo. Keep one and roll the other one for whatever you want for a rifle.

TXGunNut
07-01-2015, 09:21 PM
That's a thought except I really don't think they'll go for it. I have a decent supply anyway, for as little as I shoot it.
Not too happy with the 22WMR supply these days, I guess if it doesn't show up by the time my rifle comes back from RP I'll just trade the rifle in on something I can use.

TXGunNut
07-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Well, my 597 is boxed up ready to be shipped to NY. Still haven't found any 22 mag ammo but the rifle could very well be trade bait since I bought that Ruger American in 17HMR to replace it. I'll figure it out when it gets back, apparently it takes 4-6 weeks to screw a bbl on & off.

hicard
07-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Thanks TXGunNut for the information. I've been sitting on my 597 wondering what to do with it and finally decided to make the call to Remington to have a 22 mag barrel installed. I had to ask for the box to ship it in.

TXGunNut
07-07-2015, 12:01 AM
If you have any questions PM me. I boxed mine up yesterday and my UPS driver said he'd have a call tag for it tomorrow. When you have it ready to ship download the service request and shipping label and then call to arrange for the call tag. That means the driver will have the shipping label but I would affix the shipping label Remington e-mails you as well. Put the service request inside, it may help if exterior labels are lost or destroyed...it happens.
Good luck finding 22 Mag ammo. :-)

hicard
07-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Will do TXGunNut. My search for 22 mag ammo begins. Now I have to figure what to do with the 17 HMR ammo I do have. Maybe a trade with someone.

Lefty Red
07-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Even during the great scare of 2012, there was always 17HMR and 22 magnum on the self around here.
Jerry

osteodoc08
07-08-2015, 02:30 PM
Even right now 22 mag ammo has been available.

TXGunNut
07-08-2015, 11:41 PM
Even right now 22 mag ammo has been available.

That's what I was thinking as well, none around here now. I have a box or two, seems there's a NAA revolver around here somewhere chambered for that cartridge.

Hicard, how much ammo do you have? That Ruger I bought looks like a lot of gun for the money. For my purposes I think I'll keep a 17HMR in the stable, not so sure about the 22 Mag.

depoloni
07-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Wouldn't call it cheap... but what is anymore sadly given the demand.

Decent number of options in stock regularly: https://www.outdoorlimited.com/category-s/1830.htm?searching=Y&sort=11&cat=1830&show=48&page=1

TXGunNut
07-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Wouldn't call it cheap... but what is anymore sadly given the demand.

Decent number of options in stock regularly: https://www.outdoorlimited.com/category-s/1830.htm?searching=Y&sort=11&cat=1830&show=48&page=1

Wow, I can buy decent 5.56 ammo cheaper. I think when that rifle gets back it will be trade bait.

hicard
08-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Anyone know the turnaround for Remington to replace the 17 with the 22 mag barrel? I forgot to ask. Also, the tag sent the rifle to J&G Gunsmith in Granit Bay, CA. I called them and they said all they do is send it on to Remington. Now I have no idea where the rifle is at.

TXGunNut
08-22-2015, 12:16 PM
The gun shop should have the service ticket number and a web address that allows you to check on the repair progress (or lack thereof). According to the website my rifle has been in the process of being repaired for the last four weeks. Estimate they gave me was 4-6 weeks.
Kalifornia is probably different from TX but I simply called Remington and requested a shipping box and UPS call tag. When done they'll ship it back to me. Most folks don't realize a FFL is not required in this situation, I had to hold a brief class on the subject at a small-town post office awhile back. My present UPS driver is a bit more knowledgeable, thank goodness.

TXGunNut
08-28-2015, 10:08 PM
Big brown truck brought a long skinny box from NY today. All I can say is I wish all my freight came in looking this good. Haven't bothered to open it, tho. Long, crazy week and just can't get interested in this rifle. Suspect it's trade bait.

Mk42gunner
08-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Trade bait or not, I would open the package to at least verify I got my rifle back and not someone else's.

I do understand losing interest in a project/ gun, sometimes it will come back, sometimes not.

Robert

TXGunNut
08-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Good point, Robert. Pretty sure that would get the folks @ BATFE more than a little stirred up but I unpacked it to check anyway. Got two surprises; a new magazine and my trigger job was unmolested. They also used better packing material than they supplied for the trip north. I suspect I have a scope lying around here that I can put on it. Seems there's a Redfield scope that a certain Marlin (Scopekiller) liked to beat up. ;-) It came back from repairs awhile back but it had been replaced with a Weaver that Scopekiller hasn't managed to tear up (yet ;-) ). 597 may have a future as a house gun, we have a problem with feral dogs around here from time to time and this gun would do that job nicely.
I suppose I can get it scoped in time for a range trip tomorrow and I do have a bit of 22 mag ammo lying around.

hicard
08-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Sounds like it took just over 6 weeks for your turnaround TXGunNut. I'll be looking for mine in about a month. Hope all goes well. In the meantime, I bought a plastic stock for it so I don't abuse the laminated stock that came with it. I hope it makes the round trip w/o a problem.

TXGunNut
08-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Yes, about six weeks including shipping time. They estimated 4-6 weeks when I requested a shipping container. I'm pretty impressed that it wasn't damaged on either trip, just a single box with a cardboard sleeve. They used Styrofoam blocks for the return trip.
I think I'll get off my backside and mount a scope on this thing. It's been sitting across the room from me for an hour or two and I'm starting to warm up to it a bit. I'll also admit that this experience has improved my opinion of the Remington company. I've always been a bit indifferent about them, preferring Winchesters, Marlins and Rugers but their customer service has changed that a bit.

TXGunNut
08-30-2015, 10:51 PM
Well, everything worked pretty well but it's no tackdriver. :-(
At least it didn't seem to like the old Winchester ammo I had around. Ruger was an easy MOA rifle until it got dirty but the 597 barely keeps them inside 2" @ 50 yards. I was shooting better groups with my 1921 vintage 94 carbine in 32 Spl. [smilie=s: The recently repaired Redfield scope worked just fine on the 597 so I guess that's another mark in the "win" column.

hicard
08-31-2015, 09:30 AM
I just got off the phone with Remington and my 597 is in route, via J&G, back to me. That is good news.

Mk42gunner
08-31-2015, 12:44 PM
Well, everything worked pretty well but it's no tackdriver. :-(
At least it didn't seem to like the old Winchester ammo I had around. Ruger was an easy MOA rifle until it got dirty but the 597 barely keeps them inside 2" @ 50 yards. I was shooting better groups with my 1921 vintage 94 carbine in 32 Spl. [smilie=s: The recently repaired Redfield scope worked just fine on the 597 so I guess that's another mark in the "win" column.
I don't know about your Remington 597, but I built a Ruger 10-22 with a stainless fluted Gren Mountain barrel that took almost 200 rounds to go from "Why did I waste my money" (1½-2" @ 25 yards) to "this thing has potential" (dime sized groups).

Of course by that time I had gotten disgusted with having to clean the magazines every time they touched the sandy dirt around Fallon, NV so the rifle went away shortly thereafter.

Robert

starmac
08-31-2015, 03:44 PM
What would I do, well I did it after the first trip out with it, I gave it away. lol
Mine was a 22lr and no recall that I know of, it was my first plastic rifle and I just didn't care for it at all.

TXGunNut
09-01-2015, 10:31 PM
I just got off the phone with Remington and my 597 is in route, via J&G, back to me. That is good news.

Good to hear, got any ammo for it?

TXGunNut
09-01-2015, 10:37 PM
I don't know about your Remington 597, but I built a Ruger 10-22 with a stainless fluted Gren Mountain barrel that took almost 200 rounds to go from "Why did I waste my money" (1½-2" @ 25 yards) to "this thing has potential" (dime sized groups).......

Robert

Always wanted to build a HB 10-22, even had a candidate that once belonged to my dad in the safe for awhile. I sent it down the road a bit to live with my niece and her family.
Dunno how this rifle will turn out. Haven't really given it a fair shake but must admit it is growing on me a bit. Too bad 22 Mag is so scarce around here. Should be able to get it cleaned tomorrow night, will be interesting to see what the patches look like and the bore feels like.

TXGunNut
09-06-2015, 11:47 PM
Old 597b settled down and shot pretty good today. Finished up a box of Winchester ammo marked $9.95 and started on a box marked $6.95 and went from a 4X1 vertical group to about a 1.5" group or maybe a bit less at 100 yds. :drinks: Good enough for critter control around here. I guess it wouldn't have made very good trade bait anyway.

hicard
09-08-2015, 10:09 AM
I am supposed to get my 597 back today. Looking forward to playing with it. Can't afford to play too much though.

TXGunNut
09-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Good luck, I understand the affordability issue. 15-25 cents a round sounds a little silly considering what I could cast and load 32-20, 25-20 or 22 Hornet for but this will be a limited use specialized rifle. Pretty sure I won't leave my antique 32-20 within a few steps and the scope on that 597 works a lot better than open sights on an old levergun, lol.