PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

st4ng68
06-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Hello All,

I am interested in making my own jacketed bullets and need some information. I am a competitive shooter in ICORE and my revolver only likes jacketed bullets. I also have ports in the barrel that need a lighter weight bullet to be effective. I am looking to make some round nose bullets somewhere around 125-135 gr weights in .357 diameter. All the jacketed bullets that i have found in this weight are hollow points. I need to get a round nose bullet so i can reload the revolver quickly. I am looking for bullets that will group 2 inch and under at 50 yards.

I want to get some recommendations for presses, dies, and everything else that i will need to get up and running. I would ideally like to stay under $1500 in equipment to get started, less would be better, but I am not opposed to spending if it is worth the price. I would eventually like to cast my own lead cores and be able to make my own jackets. I am not opposed to starting to cast my own cores at the beginning but will hold off on making my own jackets for now.

Thank You

goblism
06-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Walnut hill press, core swage die, core seat die, point form die.
might be worth getting his cast core mold as well. ~$1000
You will need swage lube as well, or make your own

You can buy jackets from him as well, his shipping is not the same as his webaite, he ships as cheap as possible

kc3ak
06-17-2015, 07:43 AM
I just had an email from Richard and he said that he was going to be making pistol dies in about 2-3 weeks, so it might be wise to get an order in soon. Otherwise it could be several months waiting for the next cycle of pistol dies to be made. Just a thought. My .224 dies are scheduled for about 2.5 -3 months out. I JUST missed the last cycle. His web site: <http://www.rceco.com/>

Sasquatch-1
06-17-2015, 08:22 AM
Be leery of the single die swaging setups. Although you can get them in a round nose they tend to be step bullets and the step will slow down
reloading. They are also meant to be half jacket only.

st4ng68
06-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Thank you for your replies. I have sent an email to Richard. Are there any other suggestions out there?