PDA

View Full Version : Black powder bullet lubes for brutally hot summer weeks?

Naphtali
06-16-2015, 09:09 PM
What bullet lubricants that are at least marginally satisfactory for use with black powder remain solid at temperatures that rise above 95 degrees Fahrenheit and stay there for six-eight hours a day?

country gent
06-16-2015, 09:26 PM
I make up emmerts improved which does pretty good. It can have the beeswax adjusted to help it out. Emmerts Improved is: 50% beeswax, 40% unsalted crisco, 5% canola or olive oil, 5% anyhydrous lanolin. I add a small amount of murphys oil soap to mine also. Adding beeswax will help to stiffen it up for a harder lube crisco will soften as will the oils. This works pretty good and from what I have read is close to one of the original bullet lubes from the period. SPG dosnt do to badly and could be modified with a little beeswax to stiffen it up some. Some Soy Wax might also help as its melting point is around 160*

Naphtali
06-16-2015, 09:39 PM
Wow! Many thanks for the information. I use SPG for muzzleloading conicals. Fall through spring shooting and hunting with my Kodiak Safari (now sold to be replaced by something really big) shooting 775-grain conicals was a marvel of consistently superb accuracy. But in summer . . .

When I left some bullets in the rear of my truck, I discovered most of the lubricant was on the bottom of their storage case. While SPG will remain first choice, I'm interested in lubricants that target this specific problem. Are you aware of commercially available lubricants that do the job? I believe LBT Blue commercial was developed specifically to be indestructible in storage and in shipping. Of course, it's not so good for black powder.

country gent
06-17-2015, 04:42 AM
Not sure theres some others out ther Nasa lube, Shiloh and or Csharps has some listed, I believe Lee Shaver has a lube also nut Ive never used them to recomend one way or another. The hard lubes may hold up to heat but most will turnblack powder fouling to tar.

cajun shooter
06-17-2015, 07:57 AM
I've used the BP lubes from A-Z that are made and have chosen to stay with NASA for my uses. It's tacky because of it's being made to work at a high altitude out west. The cure to this is to add Carnauba Flakes and it holds up to the Louisiana weather extremes. Summer days with 100% humidity and 90 degree heat and up, It's held up for me. I add about 3 scoops of the flakes with a Lee .07 powder dipper to every 4 ounces or so. It's a trial and error thing, with your weather conditions the deciding factor. The flakes make the NASA into a firmer lube that is very easy to use. Be careful and add the flakes in smaller amounts each time. You may always add more flakes but if you go too far, it's start over again. As I stated before, the flakes make anything it's added to, much harder. It does however make for a nice shiny bore once it's used on a regular bases. Good shootin, David