PDA

View Full Version : Alleged stockpile of 5,000 STG-44s in Syria

CT-shooter777
06-16-2015, 07:34 PM
http://conservative-headlines.com/2015/06/alleged-stockpile-of-5000-stg-44s-in-syria/

country gent
06-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Ypu might be surprised whats in military wharehouses accross the country and in other countries not jist numders of but the actual firearms. I was talking to one of the coaches for the army one year and he claimed to have seen a bay of Springfield trapdoor rifles still in the crates. Those rifles are put in storage crated 10 or 20 to the crate for long term storage and forgotten about. Some countries are still drillig and training with rifles from ww2 even.

Ed in North Texas
06-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Want a good laugh? Read the comment by Gaelic Tribal Chick.

Bigslug
06-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Clicked on the video link.

Doooooooood. . .:shock:

Another reminder of the sheer SCALE of WWII - 70 years after the fact, and we're still turning up stockpiles, in war zones no less.

Yes, I'm glad WWII was not fought on American soil, but it still sucks that there's not even a possibility of finding a crate of those in a barn here.

Don Purcell
06-16-2015, 10:47 PM
She must smoke the same weed Obammy does.

Mauser48
06-16-2015, 10:52 PM
Wait until they try to put 7.62x39 in them!

toot
06-17-2015, 10:31 AM
what would they be worth on the open market?

5 RING
06-17-2015, 10:57 AM
I cried like a lil' baby the day we had to cut up 5 crates containing a total of 90 Stg-44 in them. Tried telling my Commander that a museum someplace in the world would love to have a 100% Sgt-44 in there collection, but sadly it wasn't to be.....fire up the gas ax fellers :cry::cry::cry::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

leebuilder
06-17-2015, 11:25 AM
You would be suprized of the hardware in deep storage in some countrys. I read about many Stg44s coming out of Lybia as well, many came from Lebanon as mentioned and i bet Romainia as well as some Balkan countrys where many caches of weapons were found by then peacekeepers.
The amout and quality of the weapons boggles me no wonder we now have ITAR resrictions in some western countrys.
be safe, keep digging.

Scharfschuetze
06-17-2015, 04:34 PM
You would be suprized of the hardware in deep storage in some countrys.

I've been in and inspected the contents of arms rooms from the Pacific to Asia to South and Central America and some of the contents therein are just flabbergasting. From German, French and US made rifles to mortars and anti-tank cannons it's just about all there in one place or another. Most of the weapons are unusable as military weapons now as ammo is not available to many of the countries maintaining them. That's particularly true for any non Soviet or NATO calibres now. It's a sad fact that many of these very collectible firearms are just sitting there rusting away.

And as noted earlier, many of the South American countries still use their old Mauser rifles for parade and drill purposes. It's quite a treat to see a company or battalion, all armed with Mausers, marching to a military band.

Speaking of the StG 44 rifle, here is my son shooting one.

Speedo66
06-17-2015, 05:43 PM
You'd be surprised at what's still floating around in private hands in Europe. I had a guy, in Sweden no less, show me his MP-40. Being Sweden, I doubt it was ever legal there, but there it was. By the way, I now know why they're always hanging from a shoulder strap in the movies, darn thing was heavy.

At the king's palace in Stockholm, different regiments take turns guarding the place, sometimes in historical uniforms. I've seen some carrying old full stocked 1894 Mausers, and some with old Swedish K's.

William Yanda
06-17-2015, 05:47 PM
When I was 19 or 20, there was a rumor of a warehouse full of WW II motorcycles, but you had to purchase the whole warehouse full, then there was another of WW II jeeps.......
and on it goes.

Geezer in NH
06-17-2015, 06:41 PM
Don't make a never mind here in the USA.

webradbury
06-17-2015, 07:53 PM
Not nearly as profound, but cool none the less...I went to the USS North Carolina battleship the other day, and they had just found an original case of 20rd BAR mags still in cosmolene and paper wrappers. They were hidden in some cubbyhole in the Marine Corp enlisted quarters area of the ship along with a couple liquor bottles. I thought it was cool.

Bigslug
06-18-2015, 01:08 AM
When I was 19 or 20, there was a rumor of a warehouse full of WW II motorcycles, but you had to purchase the whole warehouse full, then there was another of WW II jeeps.......
and on it goes.

Scott Duff's M1 collector's guides talk about storage of U.S. arms after WWII. They came up with a preservative dip that was lighter and more easily removed than cosmoline, dunked the guns in it, and placed them into generic, standard-sized barrels - quantity depending of course on the weapon type; something like 12 Garands, 20 Carbines, 50 1911's, 8 BAR's, 3 M1919's etc...

There's a photo of those drums stacked several high on pallets extending out of the frame of the camera into the distance, much like the warehouse that the Ark of the Covenant disappeared into in 1938. I'm not greedy guys. . .I just want one can!

Speedo66
06-18-2015, 01:44 PM
and on it goes.

I bought a 1956 Canadian Military Triumph 500cc TRW motorcycle brand new in a crate in 1969 from a military surplus store on Yonge St. in Toronto. My brother had heard about it, and we drove straight up from NYC, bought it, and turned around. Had to pay a small duty at the border, and that was it.

Had it for about 20 years. So yes, sometimes these things really are out there.

funnyjim014
06-19-2015, 08:43 PM
So I know they cant be shipped here to the good old no fun USA.......parts kits? :bigsmyl2:

cmdrted
06-20-2015, 08:11 PM
in a odd way i wonder if there is a form/branch of archeology devoted to discovery and study of "ancient weapons". almost worth taking a course at university and go on field trips to these finds.

leebuilder
06-21-2015, 08:11 AM
You know you just never know, remember that show Relic hunters and such, Youtube has some neat vids of a kid finding parts and such in river, some were sten gun lowers. My buddys have found lots of stuff restoring houses, not like a huge goverment storage facility but still neat as can be. Still have a 12ga 1871 converted mauser, WW1 brodie helmet and brick and brack they found.
Heard many storys of stuff dumped off our shores and trains stopped in isolated parts and holes dug on either side, then the trains emptied and the holes filled and then the train moving on. I have seen many rifles hauled out of deep storage to be demilled when i was in the mob, some scenes almost made me spew chuncks.
be well

30calflash
06-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Heard that an underground facility was found in Austria a few years back containing a bunch of M1 Garands +. Was built to arm the locals in case of a Soviet invasion. The cold war ended and they were forgotten.

The SS Martini's found in Manchuria? was another one, included cannon. A friend purchased one of the 1853 Enfields that were around from that find. Kind of rough but a real one.

Bob Busetti
06-30-2015, 05:19 PM
About 10 years ago a large amount of german 7.92 x 57 ammo was found in Egypt. I was fortunate to buy a 300 rd. brick of 1934 dated ammo. Every round of it fired, very corrosive stuff.