PDA

View Full Version : Contender Flatside

Ken B
06-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Would anyone have info and price on a Contender Flatside{no engraving or etching}22Hornet 24 inch heavy barrel with thumb hole stock. Thanks Ken B

45-70 Chevroner
06-16-2015, 09:29 PM
I just read about the flatside, and the guy said that there were dam few made and if any one has one,, be sure and rathole it, because they are worth a lot!!! I have been into Contenders since the early 1970s and I've never seen one or even heard of one. Hang on to it. Post some pictures if you can. I would like to see it. Over the years I have had at lest 15 different calibers long and short. At pleasant I have 5. I've had several custom barrels two of the ones I have are a MGM And a Dave Vanhorn, both are very good barrels.

Tatume
06-17-2015, 06:59 AM
A friend of mine has one. It's a very nice looking pistol. In my opinion, they should have all been made like that!

Big Rack
06-20-2015, 10:01 AM
It's my understanding that the very first Contenders had smooth sides but a lot of the frames which are all investment cast would have pinholes so rather than scrapping frames they started etching them. I think the second generation didn't have the scrollwork. Had a buddy who belonged to the Thompson Center Collectors Association he used to pass his newsletters on the association would take reservations and then TC would make special order barrels for them like the group buys here.
My friend was trying to collect each type of barrel and there are a lot of variations, some kinda like some of the Lipsey / Ruger specials became standard catalog items this was back in the late 70's early 80's. Ed if still around Hi and Thanks!

hunter58
06-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Fox Ridge T/C custom shop offered these both in stainless and blued. If there is a "FR" before the serial number, they are of a later offering. I still have the blued one, but regret selling the stainless.

quilbilly
06-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Fox Ridge T/C custom shop offered these both in stainless and blued. If there is a "FR" before the serial number, they are of a later offering. I still have the blued one, but regret selling the stainless.
I remember those as well from Fox Ridge Outfitters. I really miss that outfit and their custom shop.

Groo
06-28-2015, 04:56 PM
Groo here
I have Two, one engraved ,and one smooth.
Got both from SSK when they were tight with Thompson Center.

Rick62
05-02-2018, 08:13 PM
Hey need some help from you Contender experts out there PLEASE !!
Does anyone know why someone would do this to a Contender frame, got this used, just trying to make sense of it ??
Any info would be Greatly appreciated !!!!!

rking22
05-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Stupid comes to mind ???? Seriously possibly to "remove" a crack but I've never seen one with a crack there. Only seen one cracked, it was at the radius to the standing breech..was a picture so didn't get to inspect it in person. It was sent back to TC and replaced in the early 80s.
Just guessing on yours, watching with interest...

BHill
05-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Not an expert by any means but seems to be a strange place for a crack. My guess is they may have cut a relief for a sight of some kind but that goes to the first line of the above post. Interested as well.

KCSO
05-04-2018, 01:44 PM
That is where the drum and nipple sits????

Smoke4320
05-04-2018, 03:35 PM
That is where the drum and nipple sits????

That is what I thought as well

geezer56
05-13-2018, 09:26 AM
Some states have a requirement that the nipple be visible on a muzzle loader. This would cover that idiotic need.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-13-2018, 05:41 PM
So how does the hammer hit the cap if it's offset

ubetcha
05-14-2018, 08:07 AM
And besides it looks to be on the left side of the frame