PDA

View Full Version : titewad for mousefart loads?

clearcut
06-15-2015, 04:55 PM
Like the title says is any one using titewad for mouse fart loads?I want to load some low power loads for my 30-06 ,150 gr., rnfp, h2o dropped ww, PC'd gc'd. Where do I start or how low can I go is it position sensitive?

Thanks CC

fecmech
06-15-2015, 07:57 PM
I have no experience with tightwad but have used bullseye, also a very fast powder in my 30-30 with 150 gr. bullets. In the 30-30, 6 grs. of BE gives me 1200 fps and 7 grs about 1300. It is not position sensitive. My WAG is that 6 grs of tightwad would get a 150 gr cast out of the barrel in your 06 without sticking it. You could then work down or up as you desired. good luck

Ps. I don't use GC's on these loads.

runfiverun
06-16-2015, 11:56 AM
I'd look at bulls-eye or red-dot data and start from there.
you are looking for something slow and low pressure.
a powder designed for light target shot-shell loads will burn well in those circumstances.

GhostHawk
06-16-2015, 01:39 PM
While I have shot some titewad in .45 acp at around 3 gr below a .230 cast bullet I do mostly shoot Red Dot.

I think the titewad is not as near forgiving. You can get away with a lot with Red Dot. What you can't get away with is a full double charge. So proper procedures are IMO a must.

I have shot .300BO as low as 4 grains of Red Dot under a 150 grain bullet with fair accuracy.
.223 I have some loads with Jwords of 55 grain that do just fine at 100 y with 7 to 7.5 grains. I recently loaded 50 with the Bator Boolit but have not made it to the range to test those yet.

I have shot some rifle with 13 grains of Red Dot aka Ed Harris "the load" but I don't consider those mouse fart loads.
They will kill, and do it fairly quietly with reduced recoil.

Last Runfive and I have talked about some of these loads before, especially the .300BO. How can I say this. "He knows of what he speaks". His "guess's" are good enough to take to the bank.

rhouser
06-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Try this link: http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm I have been following this data for 7 or 8 years. Read all the cautions, but, it is sponsored by Oregon Trail bullets. Note that for a 30-06 springfield with a 170gr cast, 4 gr of tite-wad is the starting load. They give you their reported velocities, sd's and group sizes at 50 yards. Pretty useful for low velocity loads.

thanks rc

clearcut
06-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the link it helps a lot to see the loads listed W/all the rest of the data.
Thanks to all for the info.
CC

bangerjim
06-17-2015, 12:39 PM
I am glad to see there is some graphical data that matches what I have found thru "messing around"!

I have always used ~5.5 to 7gn of a fast pistol/SG powder for rifle plinking loads (30 cal). I use a bit of Dacron fluff to keep the powder back against the primer. I have used Clays, GreenDot TiteGroup, TiteWad, 700X, and others. I will be playing with ETR7 in the near future.

Just keep them low and ALWAYS check to make sure you do not have a boolit stuck in the barrel B4 firing another one. Could be very interesting! No GC needed at those low velocities.

That link is really valuable!

banger

clearcut
06-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Do you think no GC with a GC boolit ?they are PC'd.I have been using 5.5 gr. 473AA in my 30-30 with the PC'd GC'd 150's and they work great,I just didn't know about Titewad .
CC

bangerjim
06-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Don't be afraid of titewad! It is just another of the many fast SG powder that you can use in pistols and light load rifle carts. If there is no load data.............make your own! Just start out low and work up until you are satisfied with the "mousefart" load or you see signs of over pressure starting in.

You really only need GC's when shooting sonic and higher revolver/rifle loads. PC is NOT a substite for a GC.....where a GC is really needed!

Your low loads will faaaaaaaar from anything that needs a GC. Save them for hot loads. I shoot 357's and 45LC's cast for GC's all the time and do not use GC's on them because the velocity is subsonic. When I do use GC's they are ONLY Cu!

bangerjim