PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94 loading question

snowwolfe
06-15-2015, 03:38 PM
Bought a used 94 AE in 30-30 and today was first trip to the range. Never shot one of these before so bear with me:)
If I pushed a shell the entire way into the receiver until the loading gate snapped back then it was a nightmare to try to get a second or third round loaded in the tube as well.

So then I decided to push a shell halfway in and follow with another, etc and the rifle fed and cycled and ejected fine. Is this the proper way to load one? Or is something wrong with my rifle?

GoodOlBoy
06-15-2015, 03:41 PM
this has been my experience with alot of leveractions. I also wind up with a sore thumbnail eventually from the load gate pinching me when I load.... but it's worth it :p

GoodOlBoy

DougGuy
06-15-2015, 04:09 PM
I always loaded one at a time and let the gate snap shut, followed with another and then another never had a problem. Pre 64 Model 94 30-30.

snowwolfe
06-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Interesting, found the owners manual online after I posted this and it states to push in the round just to the rim and follow with another round. Guess my rifle is OK:)

fecmech
06-15-2015, 04:52 PM
If you let the load gate shut you then must add additional pressure on the gate to move the previously loaded round forward in the tube with the gate. If you let the round hold the gate for you it makes things easier. When loading my levers I hold the receiver in my left hand and that middle finger holds the round in the gate while I push the next one in with my right hand.

lobogunleather
06-15-2015, 05:05 PM
If you let the load gate shut you then must add additional pressure on the gate to move the previously loaded round forward in the tube with the gate. If you let the round hold the gate for you it makes things easier. When loading my levers I hold the receiver in my left hand and that middle finger holds the round in the gate while I push the next one in with my right hand.

This matches my experience with Winchester 1892, 1894, 1886, as well as Marlin 1894. Some are more difficult than others, but this method makes all of them work with relative ease.

TCFAN
06-15-2015, 05:41 PM
I have a post 64 Winchester 94 that loads the same way. If I let the loading gate close on a round no more can be loaded till I shoot it empty.I can not top it off as I shoot it.The rounds back up and get under the loading gate......Terry

runfiverun
06-15-2015, 05:47 PM
I reach around with my middle finger and hold the case in place.

for stuff like the 357/44/45 colt I let the rim sit against the back of the gate and use the next one to push it forward.

pietro
06-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Bought a used 94 AE in 30-30 and today was first trip to the range. Never shot one of these before so bear with me:)
If I pushed a shell the entire way into the receiver until the loading gate snapped back then it was a nightmare to try to get a second or third round loaded in the tube as well.

So then I decided to push a shell halfway in and follow with another, etc and the rifle fed and cycled and ejected fine. Is this the proper way to load one? Or is something wrong with my rifle?

It's most likely that the inside leading edge of the loading gate of YOUR rifle has a sharp edge, which precludes it from camming past whatever's in the magazine, to allow additional cartridges to be inserted.

The fix is to use a round stone or fine rat-tail file to smooth/taper that inside edge.

KLR
06-16-2015, 10:42 AM
It's most likely that the inside leading edge of the loading gate of YOUR rifle has a sharp edge, which precludes it from camming past whatever's in the magazine, to allow additional cartridges to be inserted.

The fix is to use a round stone or fine rat-tail file to smooth/taper that inside edge.

IIRC, there is also a small ramp on the underside of the loading gate. I polished mine in addition to the leading edge and it's now easier to load additional rounds. When you push the loading gate in the ramp moves the loaded cartridge forward so the loading gate can open far enough to add more rounds.

rondog
06-16-2015, 11:23 AM
My 1994 .44mag 94AE is the same way. Nobody told me about not pushing the rounds all the way in, had to figure that out myself. Getting that last one in all the way can be a mild bugger.

snowwolfe
06-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Nothing wrong with the rifle. I'll just load it like the manual tells me to:)

cajun shooter
06-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Take and insert the first round till nothing but the rim is left before the gate closes. The loading gate is then being held by the rim of that round. The next round is loaded the same until all rounds are loaded.
They have lighter springs made for use to lighten this tension on the gate.
In cowboy matches (SASS) a lot of the shooters, myself included use a pusher stick so that the job is much easier. A small piece of deer antler or even wood is used and I have mine attached to a 45-70 dummy round that stays in my gun belt. Later David

pricedo
06-24-2015, 11:56 AM

Yup !

Trim a little metal off the loading gate flat spring if you want the gate to be less stiff.
Smoothing any burrs off the edges of the gate will help too.