PDA

View Full Version : Dead Lyman lead pot

waksupi
06-15-2015, 02:19 PM
I plugged in the old Lyman this morning, and no heat. I tested continuity inside, and got good readings, but barely a twitch on the cord. Anyone know of where I could get a replacement cord?

If that doesn't work, what options should I look at? I fired up my old Lee Dripomatic and cast what I need for the time being, but I really don't care for it. What other pots are out there for a reasonable price? I don't really want to spend a bunch of money I can ill afford.

oneokie
06-15-2015, 02:37 PM
How does the cord attach to the pot? Does it have the 2 prong plug or is it hard wired? If it uses the plug for prong type, check thrift stores or an appliance store.

mold maker
06-15-2015, 02:45 PM
If hard wired, the break is likely at one end or the other. Easiest is to cut off a couple inches at the plug and replace it. If that fails to solve it do the same at the strain relief. If you replace the cord pay attention to the wattage and use a size bigger than necessary.

waksupi
06-15-2015, 03:30 PM
This is a two prong, didn't think about a coffee pot cord.

Mk42gunner
06-15-2015, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't fool around trying to shorten the original cord, I would just replace the whole thing. Go to a real hardware store and buy a few feet of electrical cord and a plug. You could even use three conductor wire and ground the frame.

Robert

wv109323
06-16-2015, 10:30 PM
You may check for continuity as you bend and wiggle the cord. You should be able to find where the wire is broke. Depending on what you fine may determine how to solve the problem. A replacement cord that is capable of withstanding the heat and amperage may be difficult to find.
My Lyman pot always burnt the wiring internally. The male prongs and the connections between the thermostat and heating element burnt up 3 or 4 times.

PbHurler
06-17-2015, 06:46 AM
My local ACE Hardware carries the 2-prong appliance cords. They are 6' long and fit my 30+ year old Lyman Mag 20 pot. The part number for the ACE cord is 30124, cost about $7.00.

Mal Paso
06-17-2015, 09:07 PM
If the coffee pot replacement cord fits the wattage is right. Those percolators were around 1000 watts and up.

WALLNUTT
06-18-2015, 05:42 PM
If it's the cord ,the ones from ACE won't last very long. They're a little weak in the plug. The old coffee pot cords work the best and they're cheaper. You'll want the female plug to be Bakelite and not regular plastic.

Springfield
06-22-2015, 12:47 PM
If it is the two prong type, go down to your local goodwill and they will probably have one. If not by it self, certainly attached to a cheap appliance like a coffee maker, deep fat fryer or a waffle iron that you can just pitch.