PDA

View Full Version : Which Tumbler?

Harry
03-22-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm considering purchasing a tumbler. I've been looking at the various Lyman tumblers in their catalog. I won't be cleaning more than maybe 50-100 cases at a time. Can you mix cases, as 38's, 30-30s, 30-06 at one cleaning? As you can see, I am totally new at this. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Harry

Happy Easter everyone.

Bullshop
03-22-2008, 04:44 PM
You may want to avoid mixing brass that one is small enough to fit inside the other.
BIC/BS

dromia
03-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Lyman do a product called brass baggies, plastic net bags that you put different calibres of brass into to keep them separate in the tumbler. Any bag of that kind will do, I use ones that came with laundry tablets.

Me I use rotary tumblers rather than the vibratory ones, just a personal preference, they all clean brass.

Do a search and you'll find other posts on the subject and peoples take on it.

RustyFN
03-22-2008, 04:51 PM
I use the Cabela's tumbler. It is a large capacity and is quiet. I haven't had mine very long but know some people that have had theirs for five years and they still run great.
Rusty

38 Super Auto
03-22-2008, 06:09 PM
I like the large Dillon with the media seperator. It's a pretty big investment. I find it easier to store up a couple of range sessions' worth of cases and tumble 600-800 of a single caliber. I had the tumbler for several years and ended up receiving the seperator as a gift.:coffee:

Hip's Ax
03-22-2008, 07:08 PM
I originally bought a vibratory tumbler but since I have to put it in the cellar right under my easy chair I couldn't take the noise. I bought two used Thumler's Tumblers on EBay years ago, the AR 6 and the Model B. Sounds like the AR 6 might do you well, I use it for lots of 100 cases and then use the B for larger lots. Cleans great and so quiet I sometimes forget its running. Built like a Mack truck too.

Bent Ramrod
03-22-2008, 07:20 PM
I prefer the Thumler's as well. The vibratory ones are too noisy for me. Especially after watching the movie "Tremors.":mrgreen:

EDK
03-22-2008, 07:24 PM
I've had a thumlers' tumblers AR-6 for 15+ years. The motor, stand and barrel are original; they'll sell you the things you need to rebuild it. I could probably use a new barrel, but it works OK so far. Lube the bushings occasionally and you're good to go.

I do 10-to-15,000 rounds a year and tumble the brass each time. I also use the same tumbler with ceramic media for my 50/90 SHARPS casings. IF you get some used brass that is tarnished, a pass through with ceramic media will have it looking like new.

:cbpour::redneck:

Dale53
03-22-2008, 07:30 PM
My Dillon tumbler would wake the dead when I first got it (the large one). An examination showed the the lid was vibrating against the bowl. I went to my favorite Builders Supply and got a roll of self adhesive foam weatherstrip tape (about 3/4" wide by 1/8" thick). I ran a single layer of this tape around the lid where it contacts the bowl. Nearly ALL of the vibration noise is gone. Made an absolute WORLD of difference. Cost was minimal.

It has been on there for years with no loss of effectiveness.

Dale53

hotwheelz
03-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I have a Graf tumbler running hard for about 4 years no complaints would buy one again if this one ever goes T.U.

https://www.grafs.com/product/187926

$56

MT Gianni
03-23-2008, 10:18 AM
I have a LY and it works OK. I keep it in the shop. Use onion bags for small pistol brass and seal it well. Gianni

cbrick
03-23-2008, 01:58 PM
I use the vibrating type, I had an RCBS and it lasted about a year and the motor fried. I got the Lyman and neighbors down the street complained about the noise. I got the middle size Dillon and the difference in noise is remarkable, it has a rubber gasket built into the lid. Had it 10-12 years now and its going strong.

How many here are aware of the lead hazard with case cleaners? Glen's article will explain why you want to wash your hands after using your tumbler.

Safe Handling Of Lead When Casting And Tumbling Brass By: Glen E. Fryxell (http://www.lasc.us/FryxellSafeHandlingLead.htm)

Rick

1hole
03-23-2008, 07:06 PM
A tumbler is a tumbler, media is media, there's not much difference in how they work.

Most, if not all, of the excess noise I've noted in my friends tumblers has been the result of lids or bowls insufficently tightened. My Lyman 1200 is plenty quite to work along side me IF the lid is tightened and it sits on a thin rubber pad or scrap of carpet. I did drill a series of 15 or so 3/8" holes around the bottom of the base to improve air flow and motor cooling while it sits on the carpet.

cbrick
03-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Ain't necessarily so. Everything on that Lyman I had was tight, I even bolted it to the bench in an attempt to quiet it down, nothing worked except giving it away. Haven't heard it since. :drinks:

wiljen
03-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Mine is made out of 2 camshafts ground down, a 1/2 HP Craftsman Motor and a couple of Fittings. I use the Lortone tumbler buckets with it.

sskimber
03-27-2008, 10:29 PM
I have the lyman 1200 it must be used in the garage do to the noise,

be603
03-27-2008, 10:52 PM
I take my hearing aids out and don't hear a thing. :-D

The 1 sack concrete mixer out back keeps getting me thinking about a Jr High Science project -- thinking I could stuff a 5 gallon pail full of brass in there.

Would probably wrap it in an old blanket or sleeping bag to keep it from getting beat up on the paddles. Almost have enough 45 brass to make it worthwhile.

Anyhow I've heard of guys using them...

compass will
03-28-2008, 08:12 AM
I have a lyman 600. It makes noise, but I don't consider it loud. If I leave the room I can't hear it. I can do at least 100 45 colts at a shot. I have had 50 45-70's in it. 50 32 Winchesters, etc.

Keep in mind that some of the dust in there will contain lead from the primers. What I do is clean the brass, then dump it into a square box I got. It makes it easer to pick the brass out of the media. Throw a damp paper towel in every couple loads and it helps to suck some of the dirt out of the media. I think they make a larger bowl for the 600 that I might look into some day, but the stock bowl size has been working so far.

compass will
03-28-2008, 08:13 AM
I take my hearing aids out and don't hear a thing. :-D

The 1 sack concrete mixer out back keeps getting me thinking about a Jr High Science project -- thinking I could stuff a 5 gallon pail full of brass in there.

Would probably wrap it in an old blanket or sleeping bag to keep it from getting beat up on the paddles. Almost have enough 45 brass to make it worthwhile.

Anyhow I've heard of guys using them...

I have heard of people using old tires for a tumbler (for rock polishing). You might be able to mount the tire on the end of the concrete mixer (or slide it over the end of the mixer) and polish in the tire? Just fill it up with that corn cob kitty litter

airborneshooter
06-28-2009, 06:45 PM
I have the Lyman 1200 and I have to say mine is pretty quiet. If I have it running in the garage with the door leading into the house closed, you can barely hear it in the house. The same goes for outside the regular (car) door. I am however VERY dissapointed in the lid for the thing. Nice "convenient" sifter lid that does nothing but get media and lead dust everywhere. I got a lid from a 5 gal bucket and drilled a hole in it and tried to use it instead. WAY too much noise. Guess I'll try what Dale53 did with his Dillon and get some foam tape. Anyone know if Lyman has a solid lid available?

Marine Sgt 2111
06-28-2009, 08:26 PM
I started some 25 years ago with a thumlers' tumbler and used it until I got a Lyman 2500 last year. The barrel tumbler still works fine but the vibrating one is quiet (even in the house) and does 700 .45 acp's at a time and in 3 hours or less.

Jon
06-29-2009, 09:40 AM
I have one of the cabelas vibratory tumblers. It's pretty quiet, and is still going after 2 years. I like the clear top and the large plastic knob. some of them have a wingnut, and a opaque top. Although, I usually find that I run the tumbler while I'm in the basement reloading, and just pull the brass out after it's been in there 3-4 hours or so.

WILCO
06-29-2009, 10:55 AM
You may want to avoid mixing brass that one is small enough to fit inside the other.BIC/BS

Good advice! Ask me how I know......:roll:

Jon K
06-29-2009, 10:56 AM
I started some 25 years ago with a thumlers' tumbler and used it until I got a Lyman 2500 last year. The barrel tumbler still works fine but the vibrating one is quiet (even in the house) and does 700 .45 acp's at a time and in 3 hours or less.

But the Thumbler's will do ceramic media & liquid better than any vibrating tumbler...........

Jon

Dale53
06-29-2009, 11:40 AM
When I got my large Dillon vibratory tumbler, I sold my Thumbler's Tumbler Model B. The Dillon is MUCH faster (by at least a factor of two or three) and it holds MUCH more. However, I have since learned that ceramic media (the correct size per caliber is VERY important to avoid serious jamming of the media in the case) with liquid does a better job on the INSIDE of the typical black powder cartridge cases. Clean inside gives more consistent neck tension and the long range shooters seem to find that more accurate.
My Dillon literature specifically warns AGAINST using liquid in their tumbler...

On the other hand, as I have gotten older, I have discovered, that contrary to popular opinion, I CAN'T have everything:mrgreen:

On another note - I have found a "line cord" timer on my tumbler to be a VERY useful accessory. I just set it for a couple of hours and it shuts my tumbler off when finished. My tumbler is in my utility barn (not in the house) so it is a definite positive addition.

Dale53

RANGER RICK
06-29-2009, 11:54 AM
But the Thumbler's will do ceramic media & liquid better than any vibrating tumbler...........

Jon

+1
I have two model b Thumbler's with ceramic that have been used quite often .
Since I went to the ceramic I have not had to buy any more dry media a Plus for me .

RR

Jon
06-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Good advice! Ask me how I know......:roll:

9mm and 45 brass... :roll: what a pain.

mike in co
06-29-2009, 02:25 PM
9mm and 45 brass... :roll: what a pain.

no that is not a pain its easy....you want a pain try 9/40 and 10mm, or 40 and 45......

mike in co

mike in co
06-29-2009, 02:32 PM
since i polish brass for a living( at least part of it).....here is my 2cents worth.

type of media does count.....walnut for cleaning, corncob for polish...have not done ceramic.

adding a little car polish adds bright shine( nu finish)

clean media works well...dirty will eventually produce a dull clean finish

vibrator's work very well and quick. most of my brass is done in 1 hour, only really bad stuff goes for 2 hours. time is money.......get a timer for your case cleaner!

i use large dillons, tho you could easily do a midway small kit and be quite happy.

i have not used any walnut in years.

i probably polish 10-15, 000 pcs per month( most of my brass is sold bulk unpolished to commercial reloaders).
mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

DLCTEX
06-29-2009, 11:38 PM
I have a Frankford Arsenal vibritory that I've had for more than 10 years (Midway still had free shipping) and it has cleaned tens of thousands of cases.

LUBEDUDE
06-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Two of my tumblers have died during the life of my Dillon which just keeps on trucking! And has been for almost twenty hard years now.

Buy Dillon! You won"t regret it.

LubeDude

mike in co
06-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Two of my tumblers have died during the life of my Dillon which just keeps on trucking! And has been for almost twenty hard years now.

LubeDude

just a note...on a dillon the motor is only a one yr warrantee

i burned one up in about 3-4 months.....get a timer!

mike in co

LUBEDUDE
06-30-2009, 12:42 AM
just a note...on a dillon the motor is only a one yr warrantee

i burned one up in about 3-4 months.....get a timer!

mike in co

That is a great Idea! I can't tell you how many times I have gone to bed or left the house all day with the Dillon tumbler on. Many, many times it has run for over 24 hrs straight! ( yes I'm an absent- minded dumb ass) Which speaks even more volumes of how great it is for it's twenty years of abusive service!

Buy a Dillon, you won't regreat it!

LubeDude

cajun shooter
07-01-2009, 09:07 AM
If you ever want to use BP and clean with ceramic then the Model B thumblers tumbler is the only way to go. They will run for days without a problem as they are meant for rock polishing . Model B and don't look back

Lloyd Smale
07-01-2009, 11:19 AM
bang for the buck its hard to beat the frankfort arsenol tumbler midway sells. I have owned lymans dillons and frankfort arsonals in the past (lost one of each in the fire) I bought a new frankfort arsenol but sure miss my big dillon. I was looking at ordering a new one this week. Basicaly they all work fine.

Recluse
07-02-2009, 01:46 AM
I've been running a Thumler's Tumbler AR12 for over 20 years--and it sees almost daily use. On a down side, though, it is slower than most vibratory tumblers--but I'm rarely in a hurry for clean brass. I keep mine on a timer, use walnut with a dash of NuFinish and mineral spirits, set the timer for 12 hours and walk away.

The brass looks new inside and out.

I tried some of the ceramic media and was impressed with everything but the price--dang stuff is expensive. They say it never wears out, though, but not sure about that.

Keep threatening to buy a large vibratory tumbler, but been threatening to do that for years. . .

:coffee:

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
07-02-2009, 09:11 AM

LubeDude

I hang on quite a few forums and there is lots of motor problems with the newer dilllions and now they only have a one year warranty

mold maker
07-02-2009, 11:26 AM
None of the vibrator tumblers of today, are made to the 10 yr. old quality specs, although what are sold today may well last as long. To make your tumbler last longer, pre wash your brass, and use a timer.
I use Dawn and fabric softener to liquid wash brass (up to 5 gal.) in a Harbor Freight cement mixer (without the paddles). Tumble clean in walnut, and polish in corncob w/Nu Finish. I do 12-30 gal. a year on average. It's all range pickup, and it all comes out bright and polished.
Washed brass cleans and polishes in about 1-2 hr. in each medium. Getting the powder and primer residue out first makes the tumbling media last lots longer and eliminates most of the dust associated.
By the way, after it does get dirty, the walnut and corn cob media can be washed and spread thin on a fine window screen to dry in the sun. I just put it in the cement mixer and run it with Dawn & fabric softener, and a towel stretched over the mixer opening to retain the media in the suds. You can do the same thing, with small quanities, in a plastic jar.
Did I say I'm frugal? I just don't like to see anything waisted.