PDA

View Full Version : Storing Ben's Red lubed boolits

crabo
06-14-2015, 11:21 PM
I'm going to take a bunch of unloaded Ben's Red lubed boolits on two day car trip. How much heat can the lube take before the lube will run off the boolits? I'm wondering if I need to carry the boolits in a cooler. They will be inside the truck.

crabo
06-15-2015, 02:49 PM
I just put a little tub in the car, I'll let you know what happens.

Cowboy_Dan
06-16-2015, 12:09 AM
If it melts, you can roll them in BLL (Ben's Liquid Lube), which will form a hard shell over the Ben's Red. There is a thread below on how to make and use it.

06-16-2015, 07:24 AM
How'd they travel?

gwpercle
06-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Something that may help is to stack the boolits in a small container. Side by side, all standing up.
If the box is deep enough, lay a piece of thin card board on top of the first layer, and stack in another layer, side by side all standing up. The shop I used to buy boolits from sold them stacked like this in small cardboard boxes. The soft lube stays in the grooves , even stored in my hot garage.
I don't care to just dump loose sized and lubed boolits into a container, just doesn't seem like a neat way to store them.
Gary

SniderBoomer
06-17-2015, 03:51 PM
A few weeks ago I accidentally left some old thin ice-cream tubs of lubed boolits out on a black plastic table while I cleaned out my workshop. As you may expect, the tubs of boolits got really, badly hot, and I was fully expecting a melted mess.

Surprisingly, the lube bands were all intact even tho the boolits were 'hand-hot'. - That was with the older formula (a bit less Beeswax) and the newer formula will be even better. (I do dust all my lubed boolits with mica powder).

Ben's red is good stuff. Really good stuff.

Bigslug
06-20-2015, 09:49 AM
The transport solution would seem to be to use a cooler. Pretty much all this stuff is designed to melt at some point - given the time spent at the pot and the sizer, a bag of ice is a small thing.

For storage prior to loading, I use the plastic trays that Federal/CCI/Speer .45ACP ammo comes in. The little square compartments will get you up to about .50 cal, they do a good job of protecting lube bands, and you can clamshell a second tray over the top and tape them together if you need something more transportable. Admittedly, working at a range made a lot of these easy to come by. . .

crabo
06-22-2015, 11:03 PM
They travelled great. No problem at all. Ready to load when we get set up. I took probably 30 pounds of 325 grain boolits.

w5pv
06-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Don't worry about Bens red melting,I have had them to get pretty hot without melting.