PDA

View Full Version : Sights for a 92 Winchester

terryt
06-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Hi:

I have a 92 Winchester I want to get better sights for. At 70 my eyes arenot what they used to be.

What do you think of Tru-Glo or other fiber optic sight versus peep sights?

Thanks,

Terryt

pietro
06-14-2015, 09:33 PM

FWIW, I've been using a FO (fiber-optic) front sight, teamed with a receiver peep sight, on ALL my iron-sighted rifles, ever since FO sights went into general distribution/sales (Ithaca had them long before, on their shotguns)

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/images/63331fp94seset.jpg

FO front sights are available from whomever (Williams FireSight, Marbles, Lyman,Tru-Glo, Hi-Viz, T/C/etc) in various heights, and base widths (Medium for ramps, Wide for barrel dovetails) and bead sizes (1/16"-fine & 3/32"-coarse) that Gold & Ivory beads are.

FO sights are additionally available in various colors (green, red, amber, yellow, white, etc) to accommodate different people's color perception.

It's much easier on a shooter's vision to only have to focus on a single sight (the front), instead of two.

BTW - Model 92's use the same size sights as Model 94's. (IOW, identical)

However, FO sights are hunting, and not target, sights.

runfiverun
06-14-2015, 10:54 PM
I like peep sights.
orange and green glowey things don't do nuthin but flip-flop around when I look at them.
in fact orange dots for targets have a 3-D affect when I look at them on a white paper or inside a black bull target.

terryt
06-15-2015, 11:31 PM
Hi:

Thanks for the info.

Terryt

WALLNUTT
06-23-2015, 05:19 PM
William's makes an econo peep sight for lever actions. It doesn't have clicks but loosen a screw and slide. A little under $40 from Brownells. Paired up with a Lyman 17 front also available from Brownells is about as good as a scope.

northmn
06-24-2015, 10:34 AM
I prefer fiber optic front sights with my peep sights and shoot them about as well as a scope. Got a nice deer at 140 paces from my tree with that setup. I do agree however that they are not good bench rest target sights. For me they are the best field sights made but do get kind of fuzzy on paper. I also have a green FO on my 32-20 that I carry on my tractor and 4 wheeler and have gotten a few small game critters with it. Just retired so I can appreciate the older eyes thing.

DP

cajun shooter
06-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Look at the sights offered by Brownell's for the 92 rifle, they have some very nice sights that will work for many different applications. Later David

ohiochuck
07-20-2015, 01:15 PM
Consider Marble tang sites. They allow vertical as well as windage adjustments. You can choose the size of the eye piece.
Jim

Tatume
07-20-2015, 01:17 PM
XS Sights makes the best sight for my tastes. I usually set them and leave them, and count on them to be where I left them.

dikman
07-21-2015, 05:52 AM
I can relate to the eyesight issue!! On the advice of fellow club members I recently fitted tang peep sights to my '92 and '94. So far so good, although I need to benchrest them sometime to set them up properly (I just keep blasting away at the steel plates at the moment!!!).