PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying a press.

Grasslander
06-14-2015, 07:58 PM
Has anyone seen one of these before? A friend of mine sent me some pics asking about it, but I haven't a clue...

Vann
06-14-2015, 08:09 PM
Don't have a clue, but it looks neat. I wonder if it predates the first turret press.

Sweetpea
06-14-2015, 08:20 PM
That is a T.L. Bosler press.

Only the third one I have seen, I sold mine a while back, and Pressman has one...

They are both chrome plated.

Sweetpea
06-14-2015, 08:22 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?185138-I-need-help-identifying-this-press!!!

DonMountain
06-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Its red, so who made red presses maybe in the 40's or 50's? It looks like a rough, cast iron casting due to the rust it appears like. Finishing is not very good. My guess is that it was a prototype that didn't work out due to the potential alignment problem side to side. A little looseness in the center mounting bolt, a little slop in the ram, and the alignment would not work. The sizing and bullet seating would be real rough.

gwpercle
06-14-2015, 09:33 PM
Pressman said it's rare, I still don't see how it works. He said "kind of like a turret press in reverse".
Maybe the reason they are rare is they don't work so well.....you know it looked good on paper but...
Interesting as all get out.

.50bmg
06-14-2015, 11:53 PM
Cool press!

Grasslander
06-14-2015, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas. The link you posted Sweetpea really helped out.

Mk42gunner
06-15-2015, 05:07 PM
So is there a detent at each of the three positions? If not I could see bad things happening with a misaligned ram...

Oh, and with it using Pacific size rams; you could get one that takes the now standard shell holders.

Robert

Grasslander
06-16-2015, 06:20 AM
I hear you...as far as the detents go, I will ask if it has any. Thanks for the tip on a Pacific ram. Knowing my friend he will probably leave it original though.

bedbugbilly
06-16-2015, 08:35 AM
An interesting press!

Pressman
06-16-2015, 08:18 PM
There is a detent for the center location. Stop screws for left and right. The ram rotates left and right of center, passing under each die station. Good design, the small diameter of the pivot pin is the weak point. Mine is 3/8" in diameter. It apppears that anything larger than 38 special would over load it.

There is a patent on this design, I posted a copy on the ARTCA board.

Ken

fguffey
06-18-2015, 07:05 PM
Rare, I have an old press that looks like a spider doing push-ups when operated. I purchased it from a flea market in Napa Valley. the dealer tried to sell it as a juicer. In the old days it received nothing but bad reviews.

F. Guffey

AbitNutz
06-20-2015, 07:50 AM
I can see where the pivot pin would be the weak point. If it developed any slop that would be a real problem. I wonder if that could be remedied if there were a stop block at the bottom of each of the three positions? I think that would take the pressure off the pin and move it to the frame.

It's a really unique design but perhaps not the most ergonomic. I wonder if running the handle up and down at an angle is at all awkward.

mdi
06-20-2015, 02:36 PM
I had to enlarge the pic to understand how the press works. The ram assy. pivots to align with each of the three die locations. If the pivot were big enough (over 1/2", mebbe 3/4"), I don't see a problem there...

Grasslander
06-21-2015, 10:09 AM
My friend said he would sell it to me for $200.00, and I am tempted, just to handle it. He lives in North Carolina and I'm in Okla. so I cant just bop over and "play" with it. lol

I think it's really neat and looks to be in great shape, so I probably will just go ahead and get it. Do you fellas think it's worth that much?

psweigle
06-21-2015, 10:37 AM
It is if you are willing to pay that for it. They will most certainly never make another one. And my guess is that you will never run into another one in your lifetime.

Sweetpea
06-21-2015, 12:16 PM
That all depends...

It would appear that it has been painted at some point, that would decrease the value.

If you could substantiate that this ONE press was painted, and not chromed, it would increase the value.

The one that I had, I sold auction style on here, because there was no other way to establish a value.

IIRC, it went up to $220...

mdi
06-21-2015, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't buy it for a primary reloading press, but it sure would be neat to have...

Grasslander
06-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Well, I went ahead and sent him a check. Really looking forward to getting it!

( I may put it up for sale for what I paid for it, after a while )

Grasslander
07-25-2015, 11:57 AM
Just an update. I went ahead and bought the press, and I have it here at home.

The pivot pin is 1/2" so it must be a different model than the one Ken and Brandon have/had.

The paint job is really crappy, it must have been done with a rattle can. I am soaking it now in a degreaser solution that I used on my Brown Bair III.

It isn't really a paint stripper, but it did remove some of the paint from the Bair.

Hopefully it will take it down to the original finish, so I can see what it is. I'm almost sure it isn't chrome plated though.

The press looks like it isn't missing any parts, as the pivot pin, bushing and ball bearing for the pivot are there.

As in the pics, the primer arm is there too. The handle doesn't have any type of grip on it, it's just a rod. But it does look original.

All in all I don't have any buyers remorse, as this is a really an interesting old press. I will post some more pics when I get it cleaned up a little better.