PDA

View Full Version : PC'd Range Scrap Question

jsizemore
06-14-2015, 11:48 AM
I don't PC, so has anybody reclaimed there PC'd boolits and what happens when you "smelt"? I'm curious whether the coating acts as flux or has no effect. How easily does the alloy separate from the coating? ETC....

depoloni
06-14-2015, 11:57 AM
From my experience, it doesn't act as any sort of flux. It just sort of curls up and floats off. Does not appear to stick to the sides of my casting pot (the few I've dropped back in) but nonetheless I tend to just save up the PC'd "duds" and melt them back down in the smelter instead. I've had no problems with melting them back down whatsoever, just mind the typical rules followed with any smelting - ventilation, etc.

bangerjim
06-14-2015, 12:22 PM
Yes........when you "re-melt" you PC'd boolits, the coating just turns black and floats on top to easily skim off. No different than the foam tape you find on SOWW's or paint on lead sheeting.

NO fluxing action at all. In fact you should flux with sawdust anyway to gather up the floaters.

go fir it!

banger

lightman
06-15-2015, 06:19 PM
I have not melted any PC'd bullets yet, but would not expect anything different than when melting painted wheel weights. They smoke and stink a little but thats about it.