PDA

View Full Version : AA shotgun powder

hiram
06-14-2015, 02:28 AM
I had to disassemble a bunch of Win AA 12 gauge trap loads. The powder was a circular flake and very shiny and very black.

Any ideas what it is?

I want to see if it is usable for handgun, 9mm or 45acp.

Thanks

khmer6
06-14-2015, 03:25 AM
I would normally advise against this but depending how much you have and how dry your pistol powder source is if would say go for it. Most are pretty fast, others are slower like unique or blue dot range. Also most commercial reloading do not use canister powder like we do. Call them up and beg. If I had to experiment I would start very very low and watch for squib loads. Start 2-3gr for9mm maybe?

Patricklaw
06-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Treat it like Bullseye less 20% and watch for squibbs as above. I ran into 12#'s of AA lite when I could find nothing else.

runfiverun
06-14-2015, 10:48 PM
it could be close to a couple of canister powders such as AA lite, or AAP.
I would however compare it to known powders over a chrono-graph on a grain to grain basis.
start with the fastest powder at a low measured load.
and work your way up the ladder. [bulls-eye/red-dot/green-dot/unique]
I doubt you'll get to unique, but red-dot or bulls-eye should be close if your powder weight was in the 17.2-17.7 gr range per hull, if it's more like 18 or so then PB or green-dot would be closer.

the 9mm is not the case I would choose to try this with.

khmer6
06-14-2015, 11:37 PM
Dang forgot about the original hull!!! Did you take note of the shot weight and charge? Also what kind of was it could possibly be. That could help narrow it down. Agree with runfive. The 9mm can be slightly overpressured of the oal is pumped a little bit. Probably be safer in the 45 Or 10mm or revolver cartridge to start baslining until you get an idea of what charge to throw in 9mm.