PDA

View Full Version : Lee LOad All question and some help?

HeavyMetal
06-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Visited Mom and sisters over the Memorial Day weekend.

Day after we arrive she gives me a Lee Load All she picked up in a yard sale for 5 bucks!

Never had one of these, very simple machine particularly since all the bushings and top were gone, LOL!

20 Gauge so I may have a use for it BUT I do have a question and maybe a request for a little help:

My issue is priming, this is the original Load All without the primer feed, and I think I am missing one or more pieces to prime cases with.

I have what looks to be a steel insert with a primer sized hole in the center but no spring or plunger. If I set a primer in it the shell won't go far enough down to seat it in place.

Now I did call Titan reloading and bought the pieces I was missing: sizing ring, bushings and top cover for the bushing box. I also replaced the spring and hopper which has a small piece missing out of the shot side.

But they had no old machine pieces and Lee has discontinued the primer feed.

I think I'll just add a "slug" out of an electric conduit box to support the primer as it is seated.

I would like to make it right but in all honesty I just want to make a few shells with it to see how they look.

Anybody got a better idea or have the OEM Load All primer set up?

I only have cash to trade, LOL!

Thanks in advance

HM

mac60
06-13-2015, 09:47 PM
I see all three parts needed on Titan's website. Total for all 3 parts $5.00.

http://www.titanreloading.com/service-parts/load-all-2-parts

HeavyMetal
06-14-2015, 12:49 AM
Mac60 thanks for the link but that primer set up is for the "new" style Lee Load All II which uses a primer feed system, which Lee no longer makes according to Titan.

I was considering switching over by buying all the new parts: base, primer feed and plunger set up as well as the new style screw on shell plate, but with the feed system missing it seemed like a lot of money to continue single priming by hand!

Still looking for someone that's had the same issue: what did you do to solve the priming glitch?

mac60
06-14-2015, 10:02 AM
I should have read your OP more closely. Ok, so you have everything for the machine with the exception of the priming station. It's easy to prime a shotshell with nothing more than a flat piece of steel and a dowel rod. That way you could prime off the press and then use the press to load a few shells and see what they look like.

HeavyMetal
06-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Mac60 I believe I owe you an apology!

E bay is your friend when your trying to figure out missing pieces for molds, press's and lube sizers and in this case I found a real nice photo of a 20 Gauge Load All and it shows the priming set up pretty plain and it's the same stuff titan has on their web site!

Not sure what the confusion was when we talked, maybe he thought I had the newer design, but in any case another order will be placed in the morning and thanks again for your help!

HM

waarp8nt
06-14-2015, 06:54 PM
I can help you confirm that the parts it sounds like you need are LA3268, LA1075, LA1044 if you have the plastic base. The primer system was an optional add on or at least if could be added later if you wanted too. I believe the old metal base didn't require LA1044 as it was cast into the housing. Hopefully, that might help clear it up before you order.

Loaded quite a few rounds on an old metal base load-all, in both 12ga and 20ga. Our 16ga had the plastic base, but we didn't use it much.

HeavyMetal
06-14-2015, 07:31 PM
Mine is the metal base machine and after looking a third time at Titan's web site I am real sure all three parts are needed to make this prime:
LA 3268 holds the primer, LA1075 is the return spring and LA1044 is the primer punch. Now I may have to shorten a section of LA3268 but I won't know until I get them in hand.

This little press has been more fun than I thought and I haven't made a single shell yet, LOL!

Thanks all for the help.

mac60
06-14-2015, 09:42 PM
HM - No apologies needed. I hope it all works out for you. The Load all and Load all II can and will load a good shell.