PDA

View Full Version : Powder and headache????

oldred
06-13-2015, 02:00 PM
First off I like Bullseye and have shot it for many years BUT for some reason the smoke, or what little there is of it, from the stuff gives me a splitting headache! I don't mean just an annoyance but it's to the point that I get nauseous along with the ache if I breath much of it at all, I long ago learned to avoid even getting a whiff of the stuff but sometimes it happens and it takes about an hour to go away -happened again recently thus the reason for this post as it seems to get worse as I get older. I realize that anyone can be affected by different things in ways that don't affect others hardly at all and I have never heard of this happening to anyone else but then I haven't really asked until now, so how about it anyone else have this problem with Bullseye (or any other powder for that matter)?

As I said I just learned to avoid the smoke which normally is not a problem but the effects are so bad lately I think I am reaching the point where it's going to be best just to avoid it altogether, I am at the bottom of my last jug and the stuff is hard to find anyway so I guess that's it for me and Bullseye. Still I am very curious what could be in it that's not in other powders, or at least the ones I shoot?

Thoughts?

country gent
06-13-2015, 02:10 PM
Not sure what could be the cause. But sometimes these things are a warning of something happening. It maight pay to have a check up from Doctor. Might be a simple alergic reaction might be some other reason cause. It may be a reation with some medication you are taking also. I used to suffer from migraines Headaches are no fun and can be debilitating at times. I hope things work out for you

oldred
06-13-2015, 02:26 PM
I first noticed this years ago so I "assume" (dangerous word there!) that it's just an allergy of some sort, kind of like a food allergy perhaps? In any case this is not in any way meant as a warning that Bullseye could be poisonous or anything like that and in fact I would highly recommend that powder to most any pistol cartridge shooter, but rather it's just a problem I have and I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced such a thing?

Sure going to miss those mild 158 gr cast/3 gr BE loads for my Security Six, almost as mild as a rimfire and deadly accurate!

M-Tecs
06-13-2015, 02:55 PM
My ex-brother-in-law had to give up his commercial reloading business due to side effects for the nitro fumes from the powder. Side effects are basically the same as taking nitro tabs for your heart. Could it be the nitroglycerin in the powder? Bullseye has always had the reputation of being highest in Nitroglycerin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitroglycerin

Infrequent exposure to high doses of nitroglycerin can cause severe headaches known as "NG head" or "bang head". These headaches can be severe enough to incapacitate some people; however, humans develop a tolerance to and dependence on nitroglycerin after long-term exposure. Withdrawal can (rarely) be fatal;[27] withdrawal symptoms include headaches and heart problems and if unacceptable may be treated with re-exposure to nitroglycerin or other suitable organic nitrates.[28]

For workers in nitroglycerin (NTG) manufacturing facilities, the effects of withdrawal sometimes include a "Monday morning headache" in those experiencing regular nitroglycerin exposure in the workplace, leading to the development of tolerance for the vasodilating effects. Over the weekend, the workers lose the tolerance and, when they are re-exposed on Monday, the drastic vasodilation produces a fast heart rate, dizziness, and a headache.[29]

http://www.rxlist.com/nitrostat-drug/patient-images-side-effects.htm

"Nitroglycerin can cause severe headaches, especially when you first start using it. These headaches may gradually become less severe as you continue to use nitroglycerin. Do not stop taking the medication. Ask your doctor before using any headache pain medication."

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?224603-High-nitro-content-vs-low-nitro-content

oneokie
06-13-2015, 03:56 PM
Another vote for nitroglycerin fumes.

Charley
06-13-2015, 04:21 PM
I'd guess the nitro/nitrates as well.

JSnover
06-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Yeah, they used to call it a 'dynamite headache.'

bangerjim
06-13-2015, 04:41 PM
That small still voice (or in your case the LOUD SCREAMING voice) in your head is saying to be careful and mabe reconsider your life choices?

The human body can develop reactions over time to certain chemicals, drugs, and "stuff". Sounds like you have had this for awhile.

Old Chinese story:

Patient: "Doc.....it hurts when I do this"
Doctor: "Well, then, don't do that!"

I found out sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll were causing me health problems. Had to give up one! So now it is classical music!!!!!!!! HA........ha!

Good luck on finding a solution to your problem.

banger

dilly
06-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Chemically, most gun powder is pretty much the same few ingredients. The proportions and shapes are different so I won't deny that bullseye is the trigger for you, but I wouldn't discount the possibility that other powders can have the same effect.

oldred
06-13-2015, 05:33 PM
I guess I should have just automatically thought about the Nitro but to be honest I really hadn't given much thoughts to what is in the stuff until I posted this. It's been going on for as long as I have been reloading and only happened with Bullseye so I just accepted that I needed to avoid any of the smoke and that's what I have done for years, lately however just a whiff or two is all it takes and since Bullseye is the "hottest" powder I use and very likely it's much higher in Nitro content than the others I use that's probably the cause. I think I will heed Country Gent's advice and mention this to my Doc next time I go in because it may mean something that such a small amount of what is used as a heart medicine causes such a strong reaction.

Anyway I was just curious if anyone else had this problem and as I expected it looks as if it's just me, for sure I am in no way trying to infer that there is some kind of hazard associated with shooting Bullseye.

Echo
06-13-2015, 05:48 PM
So drop the BE and switch to 231 (do they still make it?) or whatever...

fouronesix
06-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Could very well be the NG content. The symptoms sound almost migraine in nature and just require a trigger so wouldn't doubt the nitroglycerin is the trigger. Smokeless powders vary significantly in NG content. The single base powders having no NG. The double base powders having a few % NG up to well over 25% NG. Alliant lists Bullseye as having 40% NG content.

Mike in TX
06-13-2015, 07:32 PM
I am a cardiac RN, supposedly recently retired, and I am going to tell you get to a MD and now. You may be having cardiac issues, perhaps blocked coronary arteries. Hurry.

oldred
06-13-2015, 07:41 PM
I do appreciate the concern and as mentioned I will talk with my doctor about it but this is something that has been an issue from the time I first started shooting Bullseye back in the 70's. My last physical, less than two years ago shows nothing of real concern except for slightly higher than ideal Cholesterol and blood pressure levels that I am already addressing with diet and medicines. Still one just never knows and I will not just let this go, my Doc will hear about it next time I go in.

Big Boomer
06-13-2015, 08:03 PM
oldred, that is one odor I would surely miss! From my first whiff of burned shotgun powder and .22 Long Rifle powder, I have been hooked. And that was about 70 years ago. Wish I had some aftershave that smelled like that. Sorry that it is a problem for you and certainly wish you the best ... but I shall continue to enjoy the smell of gunpowder, pre and post, as long as the Good Lord lets me. Big Boomer

runfiverun
06-13-2015, 08:40 PM
in the meantime start looking for a single based powder to use instead.
I'm glad you posted this as I am susceptible to headache problems from just about anything that can trigger one.
bright light,caffeine, you name it.
I have a couple of jugs of bulls-eye here but haven't used any.
this is something I will need to be aware of and will have to test for myself.

jcwit
06-13-2015, 09:50 PM
Got a lot of Alox in your lube? Shooting indoors?

My understanding Alox can effect the heart.

MaryB
06-14-2015, 12:11 AM
Filler in the powder maybe too...

EMC45
06-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Nitro headache is my vote as well. A few years back I came into some powder from a buddy of mine that was from the 60's-70s and I wanted to make sure it was good. Most of it was IMR in sealed cans, but all the rest I smelled and checked for rust and red dust. After smelling all the powder in my impromptu way of QCing it I got a crackin' headache. Had to be the Nitro. All the powder turned out to be good too.

rr2241tx
06-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Easy fix: FFF(g). This nitro powder stuff is just a dangerous and passing fad anyway.