PDA

View Full Version : Best Way Mount A Scope

Bigscot
10-05-2005, 11:13 AM
I have a SRH in .44 mag and have a Burris 2x7 Ballistic Plex scope to put on it. My question is what is the best to mount the scope. Should the turret be against the rings or off the rings? If against the rings, then should the ring be in front or behind turret? I have the scope partially mounted with the turret against the back ring and it seems a good fit.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BS

MikeP
10-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Somewhere I read that putting rings against the turrets can put excess pressure on the mechanism inside and cause damage due to recoil.

BCB
10-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Bigscot,
I also have a SRH with a Burris 2x-7x ‘scope. I had problems with it moving during a hundred or so rounds of quite heavy recoil. Redfield sent me new rings, and it may have helped some, but I still can see marks on the stainless ‘scope indicating movement has occurred but only minimal amounts and after hundreds of rounds.
Now to your question…I asked either Burris or Redfield about mounting the ‘scope again the turret. The reply was “absolutely not, it is not a good practice and could cause damage to the ‘scope”. I don’t remember for sure which company replied, but I suspect it might have been Burris. I took the advice and didn’t mount the turret again the ring. Good-luck…BCB

44man
10-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I ruined the tube on my Burris with a .44. Nothing would keep it from moving. I tried lapping the rings, the tape that comes with some rings and even rosin. The scope is just too big and heavy to stay put. It would take four rings to even start holding it and the Ruger only takes two.
Buy a Weigand base to fit the Ruger and use more rings.
The numbers from Brownells are 957-000-045 for silver and are on page 309 of the number 58 catalog.