PDA

View Full Version : Inventory - Reloading Supplies

KnotRight
06-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Was messing around the reloading (http://www.brownells.com/reloading/index.htm) room today. When going in the different places that I have brass, powder, primer and bullets stored, I found out that I have a lot more brass than I thought that I have. Also, I store the full cans of powder in a different place, found out that I have a couple different types of powder that is outside of the reloading (http://www.brownells.com/reloading/index.htm) room.

I guess when I started reloading again, I bought whatever I could to stock the self. The good news is, the only think that I am some what short on is bullets and maybe some rifle primers (http://viglink.pgpartner.com/rd.php?r=5316&m=1713419929&q=n&rdgt=1434113097&it=1434545097&et=1434717897&priceret=164.24&pg=~~3&k=f1ce56c92720da73c78e82d448eb9524&source=feed&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eamazon%2Ecom%2Fdp%2FB0098CQ YB0%2Fref%3Dasc%5Fdf%5FB0098CQYB03678699%3Fsmid%3D ARZC1PAMTRQ6K%26tag%3Dpgmp%2D1444%2D01%2D20%26link Code%3Ddf0%26creative%3D395109%26creativeASIN%3DB0 098CQYB0&st=feed&mt=~~~~~~~~n~~~).

Now to take an inventory of what I have loaded.

Not asking what you feel comfortable with bu how accurate is your inventory count?

Bayou52
06-13-2015, 09:33 AM
I'm lacking in the inventory effort - I routinely forget what I have and tend to buy duplicate stuff!

Bayou52

lightman
06-13-2015, 09:51 AM
I don't keep an inventory either. I have a set of shelves by my bench that has powder and brass stored on it. My primers and jacketed bullets are on a shelf over my bench, my cast bullets are in labeled cigar boxes under the bench, my range brass is stored in plastic coffee cans in the adjoining store room and my lead stash in in milk crates in the corner of the shop. Its pretty easy to glance at it and see what I have. I could improve on this a little, and some day I might!

Walter Laich
06-13-2015, 09:51 AM
I have no method; always a surprise when I run across something I forgot I had

runfiverun
06-13-2015, 09:55 AM
I have a pretty fair inventory of what I got.
I have it written down in a little book and do count things, [up to a point] this is how I know what I need.
50 pounds of powder does me little good if I only got 500 primers.
a bucket of boolits is almost useless for a pistol I only have 50 pieces of brass for.
I don't do a super involved end of year clearance inventory but I try to make an effort at having the amount of brass I need for the gun [depending on it's purpose] and checking that the stuff to load for it matches.

Vann
06-13-2015, 12:51 PM
I pretty much know what I have on the shelf. When I get down to a predetermined amount I try to replace it asap.

ReloaderFred
06-13-2015, 01:01 PM
I try to keep at least a two year inventory on hand at all times. Sometimes I'll get a little bit ahead of that in one item, or even several items, but that just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, so I don't worry about it.

During the last draught, when everyone was complaining about not being able to find primers or powder, I just kept loading as usual. I foresaw what was coming in the last one, having gone through the same situation in 1968, 1994 and 2008, and I vowed to never be caught short handed again, and I wasn't.

Hope this helps.

Fred

06-13-2015, 01:17 PM
I keep a spreadsheet of everything... keeps me on track and I know exactly what I have at any given time.

Jim_P
06-13-2015, 01:33 PM
I use Reloader Reference computer program. Pretty good. Does the bullet/brass/power/primer inventory and a gun inventory as well Which could be helpful in a theft situation.. Also inventories loads and keeps a tally (if you input the data) as to what remains. And it's free.

May want to check it out....

Ranger 7
06-14-2015, 10:59 AM
I keep an up to date Excel inventory sheet for everything concerning Casting, Reloading and Firearms.
Know exactly what I have at any time.
Learned to keep track and maintain a reliable inventory after "Slick Willy".

L Erie Caster
06-14-2015, 11:34 AM
I keep a mental inventory and it’s mostly accurate but, I am getting old and occasionally I forget something. Most recently 800 Hornady 44cal JHP showed up from the twilight zone.

Artful
06-14-2015, 12:28 PM
I have ammo can for each caliber of Handgun I use regularly
when the can feels light I fill it back up. I like to have at least
a years supply of primers on hand in each size (LR,SR,LP,SP)
And at least 500 cases for each caliber of pistol.
Powder has been the sticking point lately but it's getting better.

mold maker
06-14-2015, 03:37 PM
In the safety deposit box, I have a thumb drive with a total description and serial numbers of each gun I own, but I haven't taken as much pains with supplies. I try to process brass and boolits in bulk when the cans/bockets get light. Powder and primers were bought much cheaper than today's prices.
As above, Slick Willy's lesson was well learned. I wont be out of anything again in my lifetime.

kfarm
06-15-2015, 09:41 PM
No comment

472x1B/A
06-15-2015, 10:14 PM
I agree ^^^. I got what I got.

wv109323
06-15-2015, 11:07 PM
I purposely don't keep track. It is kinda like Christmas when I find something I forgot about. I found a box of 9MM Makarov ammo I didn't know I had. It beats opening a package of underwear and trying to look thankful.

acguy45
06-15-2015, 11:37 PM
I keep an accurate inventory of my powder and primers and loaded ammo, I keep a good inventory of boolits on cast in old trail mix buckets on my bench and cast when I see Im running low.
but brass and boolits/bullets Im finding little stashes I squirreled away all the time that I forget about I agree finding them from time to time is a nice suprise.

bedbugbilly
06-16-2015, 08:49 AM
I keep an inventory of all my reloading equipment and supplies - but admit I just completed it this spring. I'm 62, have some health problems and got to thinking that if something happened to me, my wife would have no idea of the cost/value of what I have - if nothing more, the inventory will give her a good idea and hopefully if something happens to me, she'll get something out of it and not get skinned on it.

I was surprised when I did my mold inventory that I had a couple of duplicates - I probably picked up the "extras" when i found them at a bargain price. My brass . . . that's a lost cause. I inventoried it and of course have brass for guns I don't even own - as well as dies - "just because I might' some day. LOL

I also inventory my primers/powder just so I know when I'm getting low on something - even if I have it though, I still buy some when I can get what I like so I have enough to last.

If nothing more - an inventory will surprise most folks as if you're like me . . . you "forgot you had one" every so often. It will also show you just how much you have tied up in this addiction . . . I mean hobby! It can be a pain to do an inventory of everything . . but once done . . if you take the time to add your purchases or delete what you use or get rid of . . it will be a great help to your spouse/SO if something happens to you or to your Administrator.. Or, if you should have a fire and your things are destroyed . . . you have something to hand the insurance adjustor and aren't "guessing" on what you lost.

3 gun Gus
06-20-2015, 07:27 PM
I don't keep an inventory, but I do keep a "Need to buy" list.

Gus

therealhitman
06-20-2015, 10:14 PM
I kept an accurate inventory list of arms, ammo and supplies at all times.

But then the tragic boating accident occured... just yesterday actually.
Yep, right over the deep part of the lake too.

Geezer in NH
06-22-2015, 08:10 PM
I need to buy when I can't find it and happy when I do find it.

Not being OCD or anal keeping records would be like WORK. I load to forget that stuff.

dragon813gt
06-22-2015, 08:54 PM
No comment

Smart man

gwpercle
06-23-2015, 02:08 PM
What is inventory count ?
I guess I'm the pack-rat type, got stuff stored, stacked, hidden, put up...all over the place. When I need something I just start rooting around until I find it.

Gary

merlin101
06-23-2015, 02:36 PM
I don't inventory, I just buy/cast/load whatever it looks like I'm low on. When i open my ammo closet and I see a low spot that's what I load. A few years back I went on a loading spree and couldn't fit it all on the shelves with out them bowing (I also noticed a crack in the ceiling downstairs)so I moved a lot out to the garage where I promptly forgot about them. I found that stash last month, it was like Christmas and my birthday all in one!!!

edler7
06-23-2015, 11:44 PM
I kept an accurate inventory list of arms, ammo and supplies at all times.

But then the tragic boating accident occured... just yesterday actually.
Yep, right over the deep part of the lake too.

i like the cut of your jib, sir!