PDA

View Full Version : 303 SMLE Armourers Tool - size pls?

bigbore52
06-13-2015, 05:39 AM
Hopefully some learned folk out there can help?

I need to remove the broken firing pin from a No 1 SMLE which appears to be stuck fast inside the bolt shroud. Does anyone have the actual Armourers Tool or similar handy which they can take some measurements from please?

In the past I've got away without the tool and manage by clamping the remnants of the broken pin to twist the thread to get it out but this one is shattered deep inside and possibly bent from a previous botch job so there's no purchase on it outside the shroud and the needle pliers don't work - unfortunately I don't have a pin or tool handy to measure from.

Once I get this pin out I can fabricate another but there's so much crud in this one that I can't get a decent measurement - it's currently soaking in a solvent bath..;-).......I recall the depth to the locks is about an inch or so inside and equally I forget what the radius is between the locks on the tool as with the head opening of it......... hence this post :lol:

Look, it may be that whoever tried before could have burred the sockets and completely stuffed it but thought before I try a more direct approach, to see if the proper tool works first

Would appreciate some measurements anyone can provide please or possibly a link to the schematics somewhere on the www that I've not been able to find so far.......thanks...............Lee

skeet1
06-13-2015, 09:39 AM
You could always make a tool, I did and it isn't that tough. Here are the dimensions.

bigbore52
06-13-2015, 08:40 PM
Thankyou skeet1,

That's exactly what I was after - am grateful to you for posting the sketch so can now knock one up and see if it will hopefully fix the problem.....appreciated

Frank46
06-14-2015, 12:23 AM
I made up the same thing from some old 1/8" steel pipe and had to file the diameter down as well as the two projections for the indents in the firing pin. Heat treated with kasenite as the first one I made one of the projections snapped off. Frank

W.R.Buchanan
06-17-2015, 12:46 AM
Or you could buy one from Sarco for $8.95 http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/leeenfield.aspx Randy

bigbore52
06-17-2015, 04:30 AM
Thanks for that link Randy, some nice accessories and tools listed but may not deliver outside the US (I haven't inquired?) but if so, then permits, time and freight cost all become an issue.... easy 'nuf to knock one up as Frank did - especially with the schematics provided..in fact mine only took two or three cold frothies to make from O1 tool steel and works a treat, so problem solved - customer happy...thanks again skeet1

W.R.Buchanan
06-18-2015, 12:02 AM
bb52: just don't harden the pins too much after you make it. O1 is fine but I'd leave it soft and I'd try to put small radius' at the bottom of the pins so there is not a sharp 90 degree corner to crack and break. The one I got from Sarco is pretty weak. You can do better.

Lots of those firing pins are rather difficult to remove and if you break the pins off the wrench you will have bigger problems.

Randy

PS if you need a Front Sight Pusher I make a really nice one, and I ship to AUS.

bigbore52
06-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Thanks randy, will keep it in mind

LAGS
06-18-2015, 10:23 PM
I have made several of these tools out of a 3/8 " grade 8 bolt.
I drilled down thru the center, and drilled a hole for a handle.
Then just filed the dogs in the one end.
I end up giving them away, but have never broke the Dog ears off one yet.
But I left the Hex head on the bolt so I could hse a Wrench or socket if I had a really stuborn firing pin