PDA

View Full Version : Casting and reloading videos on YouTube?

minmax
06-13-2015, 03:17 AM
Just wondering what you guys think about some of them. Which ones to watch and which to avoid.
I have seen FortuneCookie45LC. And Iraqivet's they seem O.K. Some of the others are not worth my time.

MediumCore358
06-13-2015, 03:22 AM
45LC videos are pretty good IMO, haven't watched too many though.

hunter74
06-13-2015, 03:24 AM
I like FortuneCookie45LC. His videos are in my opinion some of the best videos of hand casting. He also has a lot of reloading videos and shooting videos worth watching. I follow his channel and watch it at a regular basis. His channel and of course Hickok45 are my favourites. It's a shame that Hickok don't cast!

MediumCore358
06-13-2015, 03:48 AM
I just double checked the guy I'm talking about is fortune cookie45lc, good videos. Didn't know he had that many posted. I watched his video on the Rossi 92 357 before I purchased it last month.

Oreo
06-13-2015, 06:54 AM
Jerry Miculek(sp?) did a video on smelting lead.

Taylor
06-13-2015, 08:15 AM
I watch these guy's too on occasion.Mostly if I'm hunting for info or to see if someone has already done it.

benellinut
06-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Jerry Miculek(sp?) did a video on smelting lead.

I have seen that video, it was interesting to see the huge pot of lead he was smelting. I wish he would have made it clear just what he was doing because it would be very misleading to someone new to casting (like me). He tossed everything in one huge pot, what he was using the lead for was for shotgun slugs with the Lee mold and with those there is no worry about how hard or soft the lead is. I can't believe he would use that mix for bullets, unless he was refining the lead further after the smelting and that wasn't part of the video. In many of his videos at the end he finishes taking in his reloading/storage room standing in front of sagging shelves chucked full of ammo and bullets, probably lots of that was given to him from sponsors, I doubt he casts much for handgun and rifle bullets but I could be wrong on that. I do love watching his videos, good stuff.

MediumCore358
06-14-2015, 12:56 AM
A lot of those videos are just plain fun to watch. Either entertaining and lacking some wanted info or taking forever to explain the simplest things. Lol.

therealhitman
06-14-2015, 01:42 AM
Fortune Cookie is OCD but knowledgable. Very meticulous it would seem. He is bad at restaing over and over making a five minute vid into twelve.

therealhitman
06-14-2015, 01:49 AM
Jerry's smelting vid was just reclaiming range scrap and ingot making. He was fluxing out the dirt from berm rescue and bullet trap lead.

The best vid ever is when the camera comes up from behind Jerry standing in front of those shelves and he's pointing to boxes one at a time counting "Two million eight...two million nine....oh! Hi Guys! Just counting my boxes of bullets."

therealhitman
06-14-2015, 01:53 AM
I wonder. Is it bad that when we can't reload or cast we are actually watching others do it on film?

GoodOlBoy
06-14-2015, 05:33 AM
fortunecookie45lc has great videos I agree. I don't mind his OCD nature because most of it is to reiterate over and OVER that safety MUST be first concern. Besides sometimes I just like firing up his videos and watching massive piles of range scrap turn to purdy purdy liquid...

Hickok45 has great shooting videos, and he mentions his reloads in quite a few.

iraqveteran8888 has some good shooting videos, and one or two good casting videos. I hate that we lost his buddy who use to do gun grips with him at moss pawn and gun.

logcabinlooms had some good casting videos a few years back, I think they are gone now, but he still has good shooting, and reloading videos here and there, plus most of what he talks about I find interesting anyway.

There are a few others I watch off and on but the above I will usually give a watch on just about anything they do.

GoodOlBoy

NC_JEFF
06-14-2015, 06:42 AM
I think anyone who has spent time hear who is trying to gather knowledge to begin casting can tell if a video on YouTube is legit or not. I have mined this entire site and still do while assembling the last few pieces necessary to begin casting. Thanks again to the knowledgeable contributors to this site.

Oreo
06-14-2015, 07:31 AM
This thread makes me want to bust out a camera and make some videos answering some of the popular questions on this site. Hmm...

benellinut
06-14-2015, 07:41 AM
The internet is a wonderful thing, I think back when we had our first computer built at a local store running Windows 98 that was the new rave, with a tiny hard drive, the thing was so slow and you would have to wait minuets for a photo to load line by line on dial-up. BUT the information that was at your fingertips was amazing! I had been collecting old ammo boxes and old hunting and shooting related stuff to decorate my new reloading room, I had spent tons of time traveling to auctions, yard sales and flea markets to find just a box or two then came ebay. I joined ebay when it was young, I use to buy and sell guns and ammo on ebay, those were the days! It's amazing to think how much our world has changed in what really has been a short time, now when your about to tackle a project, what would have taken days or weeks and trips to learn "how-to", you can look up info in a matter of a few minuets on a tiny device in your pocket. Kids today would never be able to comprehend what our childhood was like without all these gadgets and conveniences. I worry if the lights ever go out, all that we rely on that runs on all these gadgets happen to shut down, would they have the skills to provide for themselves and survive.

ETA: Actually the wife just reminded me, our real first computer was a Tandy from Radio Shack that ran on DOS with huge floppy disks, that was before the internet. She used it to write her papers when she was in college, we still have that computer in the attic, I wonder if it would still fire up and run. We also bought the dot matrix printer that took the ink ribbon and the paper was one mile long sheet with the holes along the edges, I total forgot about that dinosaur!

dilly
06-14-2015, 07:54 AM
Did nobody mention San Francisco liberal with a gun? His videos were pretty good.

opos
06-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Ammosmith.com has a great series of reloading videos..

reloader28
06-14-2015, 09:27 AM
I'm not a fan of any of them except ammosmith. I think he does a good job.
The rest are just repeating what he's said.

MrWolf
06-14-2015, 10:31 AM
ETA: Actually the wife just reminded me, our real first computer was a Tandy from Radio Shack that ran on DOS with huge floppy disks, that was before the internet. She used it to write her papers when she was in college, we still have that computer in the attic, I wonder if it would still fire up and run. We also bought the dot matrix printer that took the ink ribbon and the paper was one mile long sheet with the holes along the edges, I total forgot about that dinosaur!

I thought I was something way back when I lugged around a suitcase sized Compaq portable that had the keyboard that pulled out, a green screen, no hard drive and a 5 1/4 floppy. Took that dang thing on the train and subway in NYC back when I worked for Price Waterhouse. It was so new I was the only one in the office that knew how to use it. At least I got my workout everyday lugging it around.

flyingmonkey35
06-14-2015, 10:48 AM
Fourtunecookie45lc / has a great set of videos that should be a must watch for beginner casters.

Yes he's ocd but its all about safety.

Hickock is just fun to watch him shoot.

He also has a awesome short video on the pros and cons of reloading.

For advanced casting the DVDs floating around by wolf. Are excellent.

benellinut
06-14-2015, 10:50 AM
I thought I was something way back when I lugged around a suitcase sized Compaq portable that had the keyboard that pulled out, a green screen, no hard drive and a 5 1/4 floppy. Took that dang thing on the train and subway in NYC back when I worked for Price Waterhouse. It was so new I was the only one in the office that knew how to use it. At least I got my workout everyday lugging it around.

Yup. amazing how fast things have changed, now an ipod would do all that and more. When we bought that Tandy it was a big expense, we had only been married a short time, the wife had to stay late and wait for a computer to free up at the college so she could write he papers and she also worked full time. I took out a loan to buy it without telling her, it was a surprise for her and she was so tickled to have it. Plus she was home early in the evening so I didn't have to do my own cooking anymore LoL.

bangerjim
06-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Most, if not all, of these are just guys that like to see/hear themselves (or their stuff) on "TV". I feel most are a big waste of time....just like facebook and twitter. They are NOT educational in my book. Just self-serving dribble.

Watch if you want. Doing is far more educational!!!!!!

banger

benellinut
06-14-2015, 12:59 PM
I think my book is more open then yours

Handloader109
06-14-2015, 01:18 PM
I think that you are for the most part correct in stating doing is more educational than watching, but if you have never done something, a visual aid can help. My company has moved away from just training by reading,to more video review. Not the end all, but it does help with adult learning. But winnowing the wheat from the chaff is sometimes difficult.... And there are a lot of bad videos out there.