PDA

View Full Version : Herter press info request

Savage99
06-12-2015, 09:20 PM
Howdy
I have 2 Herters. They are models "O SUPER" and "81 SUPER". I know these are dinosaurs, but I like old tools.
I have a 1969 Herter catalog and the pictures for the O model doesn't
match up. The model O appears weird to me in that the lever doesn't stay in the upright
position, the lever keeps dropping down. Is there a spring or something to use that will hold the
lever up? My Dillon and chucker, the lever handles stay upright. I am taking the 81 apart to clean up
since it has been in the garage forever, I forget when I bought these, but it has been quite awhile and it needs
a good cleaning and lubing. I would like to find more info about these presses, especially the O model
since the lever doesn't stay up. Also pictures on how the primer system is set-up, I have the parts just
not sure how to set them up and use them. I love these things, been using the O for reforming brass, they
are built like tanks. I have not seen much on you-tube and other internet searches so your help would be great.
Thanks
Ron

LUBEDUDE
06-12-2015, 11:43 PM
Let me say congrats Savage on having two of the awesome beasts that Herters made! If you have a catalog then you know more about these presses than most. Pressman is the resident Herters expert and is quite knowledgeable about them. Hopefully he will bust a post.

I remember that a member or two made cheater bars for their Super O's for swaging and the press stood up no problem.

As far as pull handles falling down, that seems to be the Herters way! Get ya some bungees, wire, string, etc. I believe there were a second generation of some models made to address the handle problem with a detent or something to hold it up on a certain model or two. The model 234 comes to mind, and maybe ? the model 3?

My plans haven't panned out yet for setting up my Super O and Double Rammin' Beast, 81. But hopefully down the road I will get them on a bench.

TreeKiller
06-13-2015, 12:48 AM
I just fixed a U3 yesterday get a 3/16 ball bearing and a small spring. On the left side of my U3 there is a hole with a 1/4 inch set screw. remove the screw check for a spring put in the ball then the spring you can adjust the tension on the ram with the set screw.
If there is a groove in the ram than the ball will go in it and hold it up. I used a spring from a ball point pen but need to look for a stronger one as sometimes it will not stay up.
Dan

Savage99
06-13-2015, 02:49 AM
Thanks LubeDude for your reply
I have my O set-up on the bench and in the process of cleaning/fixing my 81, it is missing a bolt for one of the rams that holds the shell holder. Somehow it got a shade rusty and very dirty. I will be able to make one and get it going again. I used it in a production mode for some rifle cartridges years ago. How would I contact "Pressman"? I bought these at least 15 years ago and they came with most of the shell holders I need, when I did business with evil-bay.

Pressman
06-13-2015, 06:10 AM
Herter's made two presses called Model "O". There is the O-3 that is an O frame Model 3. Then there is the "O" Super, or Super O as it is commonly referred to. It is in a class by it self, very different than the other Herter's presses. Big, heavy and made for swaging. It has a two position linkage to shorten the stroke for more force when swaging. The lower pivot pin rides in a roller bearing. It uses Herter's shellholders and the standard Herter's primer arm. The one pictured has the original primer catcher box.

And, no, Herter's handles do not stay upright, even with the later Model 3's with the ball bearing it was iffy if the handle would remain upright. Best to use a piece of wire.

I used to own a Super O that the owner had bent the handle so it was vertical in the upright position, it would stay up. If done professionally it is a nice modification that actually made the press easier to use.

Ken

rpludwig
06-13-2015, 07:12 AM
pressman & treekiller nailed it....I started on a Herter's model 3 in the 60's...yup, set screw/spring/ball bearing into detent on ram, and a bungee or wire when not in use...

ReloaderEd
06-13-2015, 11:41 AM
There is a shellholder adapter made by RCBS that will allow the Herters press to use atandard shellholders. These are available from midwayusa.con.

gwpercle
06-14-2015, 10:01 PM
CH4D also has replace rams , shell holders, adapters etc. to keep these old presses in service.
The nice folks at CH got me the parts I needed to fix a Eagle Cobra press and a Lyman All American Turret Press, nice people to do business with too.
Gary

StratsMan
06-21-2015, 12:13 PM
I have the spring-loaded ball-bearing detents on my Super 3 and 234, but neither of them will hold the handle reliably... I leave a die in the press, and made a loop of <something> that I drape over the die and the handle to keep them upright...

Found a picture of the 234 with a loop of duct tape holding the handle up... (tape is folded so the sticky side doesn't touch anything)