PDA

View Full Version : Value on a custom built AR?

wyrmzr
06-12-2015, 03:48 PM
I'm considering selling my AR-15, which I've named Smaug, as it likes to breathe fire when I load up with H335.
It's set up with an Aero Precision forged lower, ALG ACT trigger, which I put a lighter spring in (I estimate about a 5 lb. trigger pull). It's got a PSA forged upper receiver, YHM aluminum full float hand guard, and a fluted bull barrel.
I'm not sure which scope I'm going to try and sell it with (I have a Redfield Revolution or a cheaper Wal-Mart brand Cross Pointe as options there).
The BCG is an M16 style, the buttstock is a Magpul CTR 6 position.
Any ideas what kind of price I should put on this? It's had just a couple hundred rounds fired through the barrel and BCG since I converted from 300 AAC to 5.56.

Garyshome
06-12-2015, 03:54 PM
It's only worth what someone will pay for it....But
I would make a list of the basics & extras...add them up and try to find a $ that you can sell it at.

Love Life
06-12-2015, 04:29 PM
This is just my opinion:

The market is saturated. Many people (myself included) are leery of buying a parts gun put together by a home builder.

If you have a series of groups shot at 100 yds or further to prove accuracy then that helps.

I'd hold onto it until the next gun control scare.

Gunor
06-12-2015, 04:31 PM
AR's are dime a dozen today - it is super easy to build anything you want these day. Like Garyshome said - add the parts cost up. And I am not saying to give it away or ...

I am kind of the same place - where I bought colt AR's - back when I thought they were worth it...

Good luck

garym1a2
06-12-2015, 04:41 PM
It depends on the main parts, do you have a $150 barrel or $450 Krieger?
Same with bolt carrier, is it a $75 one or $200.

wyrmzr
06-12-2015, 08:26 PM
For now I've decided I may have a better chance selling my Stoeger shotgun; the AR was built during the panic, and the cost of some of those parts was nearly double what they go for now. Not much chance I'll get back out of it what I have in it.

osteodoc08
06-12-2015, 08:36 PM
For me, used AR pieces are worth 40-70% what can be bought for new at today's current prices depending on condition. Sometimes less.

You can buy a basic PSA complete upper for around $300. Even less for the PTAC stuff. Even Bushmaster uppers can be had for $300 and carry brand recognition for the next panic

im with LL on this one. Just keep it. If you do sell, sell without the scope. That's just another item to lose money on.

country gent
06-12-2015, 10:24 PM
As said above barrel maker can make a diffrence in value, Giesel or jewel triggers rate higher with alot of shooters. Is the muzzle turned for a band to mount a globe front sight. What gas block and is it adjustable? Barrel twist can also be a selling point. All these things are selling points and will probably be asked. Having some groups may help Have range fired, Load, and conditions marked on the target. Another plus may be a witness to the groups when fired. Custom and or hand built rifles can be hard to sell if not buy a known builder. Another help selling is to allow a test firing if the buyer seems serious. ( when I sold a model 70 match rifle I had built the buyer had questions on its feeding, loading and function. A meet at the local club and 2 10 round groups later from prone and he was counting out cash. quickest and easiest Ive ever sold a rifle.) A factory rifle dosnt bring the amount the true customs do but are normally much easier to sell

plainsman456
06-13-2015, 09:07 PM
The prices for ar's are like prices for hotrod cars.

One never gets all of their money out ,unless they find that 1 or 2 folks that like their rifles like that.

dragon813gt
06-13-2015, 09:37 PM
They're like a modified car. It's worth more in pieces then as a whole. The parts will sell a lot quicker this way. Unless someone offers you a hefty sum break it up and sell it on pieces.

TXGunNut
06-14-2015, 01:14 AM
One man's custom rifle is another man's parts gun. If it suits you, keep it...at least until the next panic. I don't much care for MSR's but they're excellent social equipment and I know how to use it even tho I generally won't admit having one.

W.R.Buchanan
06-14-2015, 03:17 PM
For me, used AR pieces are worth 40-70% what can be bought for new at today's current prices depending on condition. Sometimes less.

You can buy a basic PSA complete upper for around $300. Even less for the PTAC stuff. Even Bushmaster uppers can be had for $300 and carry brand recognition for the next panic

im with LL on this one. Just keep it. If you do sell, sell without the scope. That's just another item to lose money on.

The reality of this situation has been discussed above and I agree with all of it.

If you build something Custom, it is built for you, and as such, in order to get your money out of it you have to find someone who thinks just like you. Difficult, but not impossible.

However there is another way to get your money out of something Custom,,, and that is called "Value In Use."

IE: keep it and use it, it won't be worth any less after you get some use out of it.

As a RE Appraiser people always were asking me what they should do to their house to increase it's value? Well the idea is to upgrade the basics like the Windows, Roof and Exterior Paint. You aren't going to get your money back on a pool or marble floors in a tract house. However that doesn't mean you can't enjoy these things yourself. And that's what I'd tell anyone who over improved their property.

As far as your gun goes, you couldn't have picked a worse time to decide to sell it. As stated above the market is saturated and AR's are a dime a dozen. However just 3 years ago they weren't a dime a dozen and you were lucky to find anything. It serves to reason that this condition will occur again in the future.

That's when you sell it ,,,, Without the scope!

Never sell a gun with a scope on it unless the scope is a cheapy. You never get even 1/4 of your money back selling it with the gun.

Example: I passed on a Tikka T3 in .308 with a Night Force 4-16X on it. I could have gotten the gun for $1300! The scope alone was worth $1700+! I snoozed and the gun sold shortly after I left the LGS for $1500 which was what they had on it. The gun itself was worth whatever a virtually new Tikka T3 is worth. Nothing close to what the scope was worth. I could have separated them and probably made a $grand on the deal!

I did kick myself by the guy who really was kicking himself was the guy who put it in the LGS on Consignment! He probably lost over $1000 on the deal.

He was desperate and sold his dream.

YOU ALWAYS GET SCREWED WHEN YOU SELL OFF YOUR DREAMS!

People see you are desperate and they take advantage of you. Been going on since the beginning of time.

Randy

Blammer
06-16-2015, 10:58 PM
shoot it, enjoy it, sell it later when it's wore out. :)

RustyReel
06-17-2015, 07:19 AM
I agree with everything that has been said. I'm actually in the process of picking up a couple of cheapies (@$500 or so ea) in anticipation of the next panic. I'll mess around with them until it happens....if it doesn't then no big deal. That being said, I've ALWAYS done better parting a rifle out and selling the parts than I have selling the complete rifle. I always try to sell the rifle locally first, but if I need to get rid of it and it doesn't sell, then it gets parted out. If you REALLY need to sell your AR, and get the most out of it, you may want to consider this if it doesn't sell.

I have sold parts on both GBroker and EvilBay. Parts that can be sold on EvilBay always bring more money, even after paying their outrageous fees. Just a thought.....

Gunslingerdoc
06-17-2015, 04:44 PM
I have sold and built more AR's than I care to count, I would say keep it until theirs another panic or the babies need shoes. Now if you had started with premium parts and had scary accurate groups you could prove then you might be able to get your money out of it with some extra to spare. Again, its about parts, build reputation and performance. The only AR I wish I had back was an SPR clone I built that consistently shot 1/4 MOA and often less. It was my personal rifle when I made money building AR's...I got every penny and then some out of it (including the NF optic) but that was rare bird and it was proven performer...Spent the $ to help finance winning a custody case so it was worth it...I'd still buy it back if I had the chance!