PDA

View Full Version : Powering Up A Progressive Press

Three44s
06-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Here's a student intent on powering a progressive press:

https://drc.libraries.uc.edu/bitstream/handle/2374.UC/701558/MET2013_Hanschke_Corey.pdf?sequence=1

Wish we had more younger generation like this student!

Enjoy!

Three 44s

jmorris
06-12-2015, 09:20 AM
A lot of work went into that. Cory likely didn't realize that pneumatics are "springy", I can imagine powder flying everywhere if as the case comes off the powder funnel pressure is built up then zero resistance afterwards causes a substantial increase in shell plate velocity.His link looks stout enough but there would be substantial flex on the cylinder rod also.That said he could likely sell what he has there for $180.

Three44s
06-14-2015, 07:02 PM
One thing I noted is he has a lot of passion for the sport, you have to admire that.

I happen to have four or five 110v. driven hydraulic pump setups that my father came by way of several years ago for next to nothing. I intend to fool with them and see what their output is. They are all identical and who knows what I might come up with.

If nothing else, they could power a hydraulic press in our farm shop or divert one for reloading chores ....

Best regards

Three 44s

Three44s
06-17-2015, 12:59 AM
I looked at the electric powered pump units I mentioned above and there is a recommendation for an oil I have never heard of:

Sinturline 'A'

Does this ring a bell with anyone here?

The output is a little on the lite side as well: 1.3 gpm @ a max pressure of 350 psi (the electric motors are rated at 1/3 hp)

I don't think they will do for a hydraulic shop press. I hook up more than one in parallel to gain volume but the pressure will not change.

There has been some mention of not being able to feel with a powered press and that certainly would be a concern so the thought occurred to me that a power steering box might be useful.

So with a little "googling" I found this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-37124.html

I am not thinking about swaging but rather reloading.

I think one could reconstruct a steering sector arm to suffice.

Best regards

Three 44s

jmorris
06-17-2015, 08:41 AM
The Spolar gold shot shell press has a hydraulic conversion as does one of the MEC shot shell presses. The metallic press conversions out there are powered by electric motors.

Three44s
06-18-2015, 08:43 AM
The Spolar gold shot shell press has a hydraulic conversion as does one of the MEC shot shell presses. The metallic press conversions out there are powered by electric motors.

I realize that but none of these offer a "feel" as most power steering units do. In fact, it's been required by law for many years that PS units have manual pass thru of steering capability for highway vehicles in case of an engine stoppage while still moving.

I am not advocating a power steering box as a "better" solution but rather just tossing out the idea. I have seen a number of folks across the web worrying about what a visit with "crunch time" might cause.

I think I recall that Dillon will void ones warrantee if you hook power to their press? Maybe I have the wrong manufacturer?

Best regards

Three 44s

jmorris
06-18-2015, 11:05 PM
If you kill the engine on most cars made after the late 60's-early 70's you will find yourself with less brakes and steering than you had with it running.

Also might find yourself trapped in the car like the guy and his dog that dies recently because he lost power in a car that had "auto locks" and power windows.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-man-dog-die-after-getting-trapped-in-locked-car/

If you want "feel" you don't want power anything. It would be quite complicated to "feel" a primer being seated with any method, why most successful "auto" machines swage pockets and seat to a specific depth. No "feel" needed.

jmorris
06-18-2015, 11:06 PM
As for warranty most gun manufacturers void them if you fire reloads in them...

Three44s
06-19-2015, 08:35 AM
If you kill the engine on most cars made after the late 60's-early 70's you will find yourself with less brakes and steering than you had with it running.

Also might find yourself trapped in the car like the guy and his dog that dies recently because he lost power in a car that had "auto locks" and power windows.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-man-dog-die-after-getting-trapped-in-locked-car/

If you want "feel" you don't want power anything. It would be quite complicated to "feel" a primer being seated with any method, why most successful "auto" machines swage pockets and seat to a specific depth. No "feel" needed.

Indeed, if you lose your engine you'll have less steering and brakes but at least you have some.

Feeling a primer or not won't brake a press though ........ just mash a primer. I don't see a PS box "feeling" a primer but allowing someone to not break a press might be in the cards.

Best regards

Three 44s

jmorris
06-19-2015, 09:38 AM
Regardless of how you power a press you will want to limit forces input to it. Either by regulating pressure or through the use of a clutch.

fguffey
06-19-2015, 10:20 AM
A local reloader/builder/resource collector has a single stage that is hydraulically operated. There is nothing about the press that resembles a reloading press except the shell holder and thread for dies. The press was built out of necessity.

F. Guffey

fguffey
06-19-2015, 10:27 AM
thought occurred to me that a power steering box might be useful.

Then there are the valves used to activate the powder steering that operate off of the pitman arm.

F. Guffey