PDA

View Full Version : Lyman "Ideal" Sharps......

Knarley
06-11-2015, 05:25 PM
I have my eye on one of those "Ideal" small sharps in 38-55. Was wondering if that is a decent rig, and if it would be suitable for a woman's gun?
My sweetie shoots an H&R 1871 Target in 38-55, I'd like to get her something with set triggers. Are the bores on them screwy too? I know this H&R has been a trial.

Knarley

Don McDowell
06-11-2015, 06:42 PM
For the same money you can pick up one of the Winchester 1885 traditional hunter rifles, and be well ahead of the game.

rfd
06-11-2015, 07:24 PM
knarley, i was seriously considering that rifle last year, and i've read some good 'n' bad about it. while the other lyman .45-70 sharps is a pedersoli build and quite good, their .38-55 sharps is built by chiappa ... do a search here in castboolits for the lyman ideal and you'll read at least one person's problem with accuracy (if not also chamber, iirc).

you one of the best buys right now over at dgw, a pedersoli roller in .40-65win for $1200. imo, this is a Much better rifle than the ideal, and rollers are so easy to field strip and clean out as compared to hi-walls and cpas (imho). if i only had the loot handy, i'd get this rifle in a heart beat ...

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=13247

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/images/CR3250.JPG

this is a special build by pedi for dgw, and is very reminiscent of their excellent "adobe walls".

MT Chambers
06-13-2015, 05:59 PM
I don't believe that the low end Italian guns can compare to most highwalls or any CPA's, be careful, replacing firing pins on a '74 is costly, and can get repetitive with soft steel guns.

rfd
06-13-2015, 06:36 PM
I don't believe that the low end Italian guns can compare to most highwalls or any CPA's, be careful, replacing firing pins on a '74 is costly, and can get repetitive with soft steel guns.

who or what are those "low end italian guns"?

Longbow53
06-13-2015, 10:28 PM
WOW! Double set triggers also!! that is one nice roller.........

rfd
06-14-2015, 05:22 AM

indeed ... just add in a soule tang vernier rear and a spirit globe front and enjoy. imo, pedersoli offers the only viable production rollers these dayze.

Knarley
06-14-2015, 01:53 PM
That IS a purdy looking gun............

I guess I dodged a bullet in ways, I have been out-bid on the Lyman, and am not going to bid further. The day after I bid.............. I got laid off................

So, the wife will have to make due. Her H&R IS on the verge any way. Got the trigger to an acceptable weight, and got it shooting pretty darn good compared to just a couple weeks ago.
In a month we'll be shooting in the Minnesota State S.A.S.S. championships and hope to make a splash in the long range side match. If not, I KNOW we will have a fine time any-hoo.

Knarley

rfd
06-14-2015, 02:16 PM
sorry to hear about the layoff, knarley. you sure did dodge more'n one boolit! the bc is a good rifle in its own way, too.

Knarley
06-14-2015, 03:25 PM
sorry to hear about the layoff, knarley. you sure did dodge more'n one boolit! the bc is a good rifle in its own way, too.

Appreciate that,
Ya know it's funny, I talked to a dealer, and according to him, those guns, (H&R) are absolute junk. But, ya talk to some people who shoot them, they are great. I'm thinkin" the previous owner of this one got rid of it cuz it wouldn't shoot. ( You don't have to clean a "smokeless gun")..........
I figured that out right after we bought it. But after getting all the copper out of the barrel, things changed a bit. ( Go figure):wink: She'll do fine with the H&R, I think it's kinda pretty in it's own way any how.

Knarley

country gent
06-14-2015, 03:35 PM
I believe those H&Rs are way under rated as far as accuracy goes. One problem is they are a little more sensitive to shooting techniques and handling do to break open desighn. I have one in .223 that shoots 45-55grn bullets very well. Alot think they need a death grip and pressures on a rifle for it to perform not a steady even relaxed position. They are interesting and have nice "lines" wood could be a little fancier on some but they are normally good perfomers.

Knarley
06-14-2015, 05:42 PM
Out of the box, they DO need a "Death Grip" to trip the hammer. Darn near needed a hydrolic jack to get this one to go..............

rfd
06-14-2015, 06:47 PM
i've lost count with the number h&r rifles i've owned at one time or another. the last two were .45-70 buff classics. these are all Good Guns, but the heavy trigger pulls are a serious bugaboo for serious consistent accuracy. because the sears are only surface hardened, honing is the most that should be done, avoid filing. as others have found, injecting some graphite or oil into the action and working the trigger (not dry firing, just cock, pull the trigger whilst holding the hammer from striking the transfer bar with yer thumb, wearing a glove helps). this will hone it just fine and lighten things up to around 3 to 4 lbs. i used to remove the barrel and work the action while watching the boob tube. after an hour or two it makes a very noticeable difference back out at the range.

it's sad to see the demise of h&r and their handi rifles, particularly the buff classic - that was the only "cheap newbie entry level" s/s rifle for bpcr around, dunno of anything to take its place. oh well. bpcr is a niche event in a niche sport ... too bad.

rbertalotto
06-14-2015, 09:09 PM
I have a Lyman "Mini Sharps" in 38-55 and it is an extremely accurate rifle and a PERFECT rifle for someone of smaller stature. I shoot a 250g Lee or Lyman 20-1 lead bullet over 9g of Unique with great accuracy and the recoil of a 22 Magnum.

The barrel is cut rifles and of as good if not better finish than the C. Sharps I have in 38-55.

MT Chambers
06-18-2015, 12:26 AM
who or what are those "low end italian guns"?
The problems with some Italian copies having soft steel is well documented, I don't believe it was UB. or Petrochelli, maybe IAB or some such?

rfd
06-18-2015, 05:37 AM
The problems with some Italian copies having soft steel is well documented, I don't believe it was UB. or Petrochelli, maybe IAB or some such?

yessir, i agree. iab being the worst of the lot from what i've seen up close, and in the reviews of others. i've had a chiappa sharps that was excellent in every way. i've got a pedersoli roller and sharps that are top notch, also my opinion. and, as someone mentioned elsewhere, some of those guns are stamped "black powder only", so buyer beware.