PDA

View Full Version : Dixon Mowers

richhodg66
06-11-2015, 09:04 AM
Looking at one of these a guy has offered in trade for a truck I have with some issues I'm looking to get rid of. I recently bought a place that has a lot that needs mowing and a lot of it is kind of rough stuff (not developed lawn). How are these? He says it's a 60" cut 22 HP Zero Turn, other than that, I don't know much else. Never really heard of Dixons, but really have never been in the market for a big mower before either.

Any one experienced with these? Good, bad, ugly?

jcren
06-11-2015, 09:07 AM
A friend uses them commercially and swears by them. One of the first companies making zero turns.

Mk42gunner
06-11-2015, 12:46 PM
My neighbor has a Walker and my best friend had a big Massey Ferguson. The only thing I can think of that I would check very carefully is the drive units. Make sure they are full of the correct oil, because they are expensive parts to replace.

Check the drive for the mower deck, the Walker has a PTO shaft with u-joints, but I think the MF had a hydraulic motor that drove the blades.

One other thing, just because a zero turn mower will cut well at eight to ten miles per hour doesn't mean that it is smart to drive across rough lawns that fast.

Robert

montana_charlie
06-11-2015, 01:02 PM
I have a Dixon 4515B (15 hp Briggs and 42-inch deck) that I bought new in 1999.
It has provided good service with little attention for all of that period.

We have about an acre of lawn, but I use it (carefully) in some pretty rough areas, too.

CM

jonp
06-11-2015, 07:06 PM
Dixon are generally commercial type mowers along the lines of a Dixie Chopper I think. They are a good brand.