PDA

View Full Version : Help with ID for this 45 colt decapping hand tool

sthwestvictoria
06-11-2015, 08:33 AM
This came from a deceased estate, the man was interested in muzzleloading, BP and older rifles, here in Australia.

This is how I believe it is used - the cartridge rim sits against a ledge on the end of the tool and the decapper is levered into it. There is a primer pocket cleaner on the end of the lever. The end of the tool fits into a case (this is a 45LC) and so maybe you hammered down on it to seat a primer like a Lee Loader seater?

Any thoughts - is it a vernacular design or has anyone seen anything similar. Is there a bullet seating component missing?
On the reverse of the area with 44C and 45LC stamping there is a 45/70 stamping. No other markings obvious. The rod coming out of handle is brass and the de-capper and lever steel.

Nueces
06-11-2015, 09:28 AM
I recall a tool of similar geometry offered here in the US. It was for decapping only, not for primer seating or other operations.

ascast
06-11-2015, 09:47 AM
I recall a tool of similar geometry offered here in the US. It was for decapping only, not for primer seating or other operations.

Yes and there are several other designs out there. Frankford Arsenal (old )made one, Ideal, Ballard and a host of newer made stuff. Very popular with the BPRC bunch as it is good to decap ASAP, at the range if possible. I use a Frankford Arsenal tool and can decap very fast with it. I think you have a very nice tool that can be used or modified to work with many calibers. nice snag!

sthwestvictoria
06-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Thank you for the replies. I had a look in the Ideal Handbook #38 which is on the Castpics reference shelf but can't see anything like it there.